* How to submit for eudyptula-challenge
@ 2014-03-25  1:28 wangyubin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: wangyubin @ 2014-03-25  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,
I have dive into the eudyptula-challenge, but when I submit my result  for task 01.
I received a reply below:
> Please print to the kernel debug log level.

I have sended module(c file), Makefile, and dmesg output for load/unload  the module.
Could anyone to tell me what does this message mean?
Thanks a lot!

--
Best Regards!
wangyubin

* How to submit for eudyptula-challenge
@ 2014-03-25  1:52 ` Masood Mehmood
From: Masood Mehmood @ 2014-03-25  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Are you printing anything in your module? If yes it should be printed to
the kernel debug log level.

Figure out how many levels kernel log supports and use the debug level.

On Monday, March 24, 2014, wangyubin <harry198344@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have dive into the eudyptula-challenge, but when I submit my result  for
> task 01.
> I received a reply below:
> > Please print to the kernel debug log level.
>
> I have sended module(c file), Makefile, and dmesg output for load/unload
>  the module.
> Could anyone to tell me what does this message mean?
> Thanks a lot!
>
> --
> Best Regards!
> wangyubin

 Best Regards
Masood Mehmood
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* How to submit for eudyptula-challenge
@ 2014-03-25  1:59 ` Parinay Kondekar
From: Parinay Kondekar @ 2014-03-25  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

http://elinux.org/Debugging_by_printing#Log_Levels

HTH

@ 2014-03-25  2:16 ` Aruna Hewapathirane
From: Aruna Hewapathirane @ 2014-03-25  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Wangyubin,

The log level you require is KERN_DEBUG ...

But when you run checkpatch.pl on your *.c file it will say:

WARNING: Prefer netdev_dbg(netdev, ... then dev_dbg(dev, ... then
pr_debug(...  to printk(KERN_DEBUG ...

So replacing printk(KERN_DEBUG ... with pr_debug will resolve this.

You can find the log files in /var/log and you can list them with ls /var/log.

The latest kernel I found has the debug and messages logs disabled by
default. You can easily rectify this by editing
/etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf. And un-commenting the section :

#*.=debug;\
#    auth,authpriv.none;\
#   news.none;mail.none    -/var/log/debug
#*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
#    auth,authpriv.none;\
#    cron,daemon.none;\
#    mail,news.none        -/var/log/messages

This will give you back the debug and message logs.

Good luck !

Aruna

@ 2014-03-25  2:42   ` wangyubin
From: wangyubin @ 2014-03-25  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi, Aruna

Thanks for your answer!

I used printk like this in the previous submit.
printk(KERN_ALERT "Hello World !");

I will change "KERN_ALERT" to "KERN_DEBUG" and try to submit again!

also thanks for Masood Mehmood and Parinay Kondekar's help!

Best Regards!
wangyubin

@ 2014-03-25  2:48     ` Aruna Hewapathirane
From: Aruna Hewapathirane @ 2014-03-25  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Wangyubin,

There is a *reason* why I decided to give you a helping hand my dear,

 "I" had a very hard time with that task-01 but it did help me
immensely to begin to understand how things work and are done in the
kernel. I do not want anyone else to waste time if we can get
newcomers up to a certain level of competency where they can
contribute to the kernel this world will be a much better place.

Run checkpatch.pl and try to resolve all errors and warnings before
you sumbit as else little penguin will say uh-uh sorry try again !

Checkpatch is your friend and so is Google so use them :)

@ 2014-03-25  3:08       ` wangyubin
From: wangyubin @ 2014-03-25  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi, Aruna

I will use Checkpatch.pl to check my source file by your advice!
thanks again!

Best Regards!
wangyubin

@ 2014-03-25  3:28         ` Aruna Hewapathirane
From: Aruna Hewapathirane @ 2014-03-25  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Wangyubin,

You may want to drop by the IRC channel : http://kernelnewbies.org/IRC
has lots of friendly and vastly more experienced folks.

 :)

@ 2014-03-25  4:47           ` wangyubin
From: wangyubin @ 2014-03-25  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

OK, I will try to use that.
:-)

Best Regards!
wangyubin

@ 2014-03-25  5:29             ` Pranay Srivastava
From: Pranay Srivastava @ 2014-03-25  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi

Set your log level to 8 so you can see your messages. The pr_ *ones
Should be good.

Also check how to enable that macro for specific or all files of your
module.

On Mar 25, 2014 10:18 AM, "wangyubin" <harry198344@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I will try to use that.
> :-)
>
> Best Regards!
> wangyubin
>
> On 03/25/2014 11:28 AM, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
> > Hi Wangyubin,
> >
> > You may want to drop by the IRC channel : http://kernelnewbies.org/IRC
> > has lots of friendly and vastly more experienced folks.
> >
> >   :)
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:08 PM, wangyubin <harry198344@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> Hi, Aruna
> >>
> >> I will use Checkpatch.pl to check my source file by your advice!
> >> thanks again!
> >>
> >> Best Regards!
> >> wangyubin

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* How to submit for eudyptula-challenge
@ 2014-12-18  6:02   ` sanjeev sharma
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: sanjeev sharma @ 2014-12-18  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello All,

I am using Thunderbird and also Gmail Email client for submitting the
eudyptula challenge Task and after following below steps I have published
on my Blog, every time I am getting problem with attachment "You sent me
base64 attachments, which I can not understand at all :("

http://sanjeevsharmaengg.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/begineers-guide-configure-thunderbird-account-for-eudyptula-challenge/

Anybody has any luck sending Task with Thunderbird or Gmail ?

Regards
Sanjeev Sharma

@ 2014-12-18  6:55     ` Fernando Apesteguía
From: Fernando Apesteguía @ 2014-12-18  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

El 18/12/2014 07:03, "sanjeev sharma" <sanjeevsharmaengg@gmail.com>
escribi?:

> Hello All,
>
> I am using Thunderbird and also Gmail Email client for submitting the
eudyptula challenge Task and after following below steps I have published
on my Blog, every time I am getting problem with attachment "You sent me
base64 attachments, which I can not understand at all :("

http://sanjeevsharmaengg.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/begineers-guide-configure-thunderbird-account-for-eudyptula-challenge/

> Anybody has any luck sending Task with Thunderbird or Gmail ?

I tried the same in the beginning, but then switched to mutt and my gmail
account. I never had problems like that since then.

Regards

@ 2014-12-18  6:58     ` Manish Katiyar
From: Manish Katiyar @ 2014-12-18  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM, sanjeev sharma <
sanjeevsharmaengg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am using Thunderbird and also Gmail Email client for submitting the
> eudyptula challenge Task and after following below steps I have published
> on my Blog, every time I am getting problem with attachment "You sent me
> base64 attachments, which I can not understand at all :("
>

> http://sanjeevsharmaengg.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/begineers-guide-configure-thunderbird-account-for-eudyptula-challenge/
>
> Anybody has any luck sending Task with Thunderbird or Gmail ?

You should search archives of this mailing list on this topic for a python
script which can send using gmail. (Though now a days, you need to disable
an extra security feature whenever you use this python script)

Thanks -
Manish

@ 2014-12-18  7:09     ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-12-18  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM, sanjeev sharma
<sanjeevsharmaengg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am using Thunderbird and also Gmail Email client for submitting the
> eudyptula challenge Task and after following below steps I have published on
> my Blog, every time I am getting problem with attachment "You sent me base64
> attachments, which I can not understand at all :("
>
> http://sanjeevsharmaengg.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/begineers-guide-configure-thunderbird-account-for-eudyptula-challenge/
>
> Anybody has any luck sending Task with Thunderbird or Gmail ?

At the beginning I have always sent using thunderbird via gmail and
those are the only two options that needs to be set before sending.

thanks
sudip

> Regards
> Sanjeev Sharma
>
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Masood Mehmood <masud.sp@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Are you printing anything in your module? If yes it should be printed to
>> the kernel debug log level.
>>
>> Figure out how many levels kernel log supports and use the debug level.
>>

>> On Monday, March 24, 2014, wangyubin <harry198344@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I have dive into the eudyptula-challenge, but when I submit my result
>>> for task 01.
>>> I received a reply below:
>>>
>>> I have sended module(c file), Makefile, and dmesg output for load/unload
>>> the module.
>>> Could anyone to tell me what does this message mean?
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards!
>>> wangyubin

>> --
>>  Best Regards
>> Masood Mehmood

* Best way for PCI memory allocation?
@ 2014-12-18 12:32       ` testlaster
From: testlaster @ 2014-12-18 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hey Guys.
What would you say is the best memory allocation function to use when I
want to dump a specific size and address of memory to a file?
Im working through the PCI chip to gain access to a shared 8meg memory
bank. What I essentially have to do is try and access that bank from
memory start to a specific memory offset and
dump all its containing data into a file as soon as possible.

This is a quick sum of my great adventures to try and get PCI device
data and register offsets.
Im just summing this up so that you can see HOW I got to the PCI device
info.

First I run __init pci_init_module()  and inside it the following.
-alloc_chrdev_region()
-MAJOR()
-pci_cdev_init();
-pci_register_driver();

Then it seems to me like the just automatically runs the .probe function
and it runs these functions.
-pci_cdev-add()
-MKDEV();
-cdev_alloc();
cdev_init();
cdev->owner = THIS_MODULE;
-cdev_add();
dev_info();
pci_enabled_device();

Ok soo from here on I try and allocate / request regions of RAM.
This is what I tried :
pci_request_region();  and it failed miserably saying " BAR 3: Can't
reserve [mem 0xe0800000 - 0xe0ffffff]
also
ioremap_nocache(pci_resource_start());  This works but it seems slow and
I should copy register by register out of the ram? Is this the only way ?
also ive tried using
pci_set_dma_mask() ; which failed also with a return value of a really
large value starting with 4.

I wanted to paste my code but the last time I pasted it my Email had to
be moderated and they never came back to me about it :( .

* How to submit for eudyptula-challenge
@ 2014-12-18 12:32       ` Vinícius Tinti
From: Vinícius Tinti @ 2014-12-18 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 5:09 AM, Sudip Mukherjee
<sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM, sanjeev sharma
> <sanjeevsharmaengg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am using Thunderbird and also Gmail Email client for submitting the
>> eudyptula challenge Task and after following below steps I have published on
>> my Blog, every time I am getting problem with attachment "You sent me base64
>> attachments, which I can not understand at all :("
>>
>> http://sanjeevsharmaengg.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/begineers-guide-configure-thunderbird-account-for-eudyptula-challenge/
>>
>> Anybody has any luck sending Task with Thunderbird or Gmail ?
>>
> At the beginning I have always sent using thunderbird via gmail and
> those are the only two options that needs to be set before sending.

I strongly encourage using Mutt with Gmail. At the beginning I was
using Thunderbird with Gmail and I don't know why but somehow it
stopped to work and I was probably making the Little Penguin very
upset. Since I changed I had no problems so far.

Regards

> thanks
> sudip
>

>> Regards
>> Sanjeev Sharma
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Masood Mehmood <masud.sp@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you printing anything in your module? If yes it should be printed to
>>> the kernel debug log level.
>>>
>>> Figure out how many levels kernel log supports and use the debug level.

>>> --
>>>  Best Regards
>>> Masood Mehmood

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

* How to submit for eudyptula-challenge
@ 2014-12-18 12:37         ` Lucas Tanure
From: Lucas Tanure @ 2014-12-18 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

+1 mutt with gmail

--
Lucas Tanure
+55 (19) 988176559

* Best way for PCI memory allocation?
@ 2014-12-18 15:24         ` John de la Garza
From: John de la Garza @ 2014-12-18 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 02:32:17PM +0200, testlaster wrote:
> Hey Guys.
> What would you say is the best memory allocation function to use when I
> want to dump a specific size and address of memory to a file?
> Im working through the PCI chip to gain access to a shared 8meg memory
> bank. What I essentially have to do is try and access that bank from
> memory start to a specific memory offset and
> dump all its containing data into a file as soon as possible.

Consider creating a new thread instead of replying when you are
changing the subject.  When you reply the your mail is still
associated with the original topic (at least form some email clients).
When you start a new thread it gets a new ID and will have its own
thread.

* Best way for PCI memory allocation?
@ 2014-12-18 15:37           ` Nils Holland
From: Nils Holland @ 2014-12-18 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:24:59AM -0500, John de la Garza wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 02:32:17PM +0200, testlaster wrote:
> > Hey Guys.
> > What would you say is the best memory allocation function to use when I
> > want to dump a specific size and address of memory to a file?
> > Im working through the PCI chip to gain access to a shared 8meg memory
> > bank. What I essentially have to do is try and access that bank from
> > memory start to a specific memory offset and
> > dump all its containing data into a file as soon as possible.
>
> Consider creating a new thread instead of replying when you are
> changing the subject.  When you reply the your mail is still
> associated with the original topic (at least form some email clients).
> When you start a new thread it gets a new ID and will have its own
> thread.

...and while you're at it: Why not put your code on some webserver or
pastebin service / whatever if it is too long to include it in your
message? It might be of very much interest to people who'd like to
help you out! :-)

Greetings,
Nils

* How to submit for eudyptula-challenge
@ 2014-12-18 16:22           ` Jessica Ross
From: Jessica Ross @ 2014-12-18 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I'm using alpine with my gmail with these instructions in case you don't
want to use mutt.

https://burzalodowa.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/how-to-send-patches-with-git-send-email/
http://www.washington.edu/alpine/faq/attachments.html

@ 2014-12-19  4:30             ` sanjeev sharma
From: sanjeev sharma @ 2014-12-19  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks all,

I have received the mixed opinion but looks like Mutt has gain the
popularity but Mutt standalone also can be used instead of using with Gmail.

Regards
Sanjeev Sharma