* installation of a nspwan-container on btrfs subvolumes
@ 2015-04-24 17:22 arnaud gaboury
From: arnaud gaboury @ 2015-04-24 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Btrfs BTRFS

Archlinux host

1- created 3 btrfs subvol on /dev/sdb1 (SSD). The goal is to manage
snapshots easily.
no nested subvol.
# btrfs subvolume list .
ID 266 gen 39 top level 5 path rootvol
ID 268 gen 41 top level 5 path var
ID 269 gen 42 top level 5 path etc

2 - mount btrfs subvol
# mount -t btrfs -o subvol=rootvol /dev/sdb1 /var/lib/machines/poppy
# mkdir /var/lib/machines/poppy/var
# mkdir /var/lib/machines/poppy/etc
# mount -t btrfs -o subvol=etc /dev/sdb1 /var/lib/machines/poppy/etc
# mount -t btrfs -o subvol=var /dev/sdb1 /var/lib/machines/poppy/var

3- installed Fedora on /var/lib/machines/poppy

4- when booting the container, it hangs.

weird:
root@hortensia ➤➤ lib/machines # ls poppy/etc
lvm/    systemd/  group    ld.so.cache  machine-id     os-release@  resolv.conf
pam.d/  udev/     gshadow  localtime@   nsswitch.conf  passwd       shadow
root@hortensia ➤➤ lib/machines # ls poppy/var
cache/  lib/  log/  spool/  tmp/  lock@  run@
These above directories seems indeed quite empty

Now:
root@hortensia ➤➤ lib/machines # umount /var/lib/machines/poppy/etc
root@hortensia ➤➤ lib/machines # umount /var/lib/machines/poppy/var
root@hortensia ➤➤ lib/machines # ls poppy/var
adm/    db/     games/   kerberos/  local/  nis/  preserve/  tmp/  lock@  run@
cache/  empty/  gopher/  lib/       log/    opt/  spool/     yp/   mail@
root@hortensia ➤➤ lib/machines # ls poppy/etc
alternatives/       modules-load.d/  tmpfiles.d/              gshadow
          passwd
avahi/              NetworkManager/  udev/                    gshadow-
          passwd-
bash_completion.d/  openldap/        udisks2/
host.conf          printcap
binfmt.d/           opt/             X11/                     hosts
          profile
chkconfig.d/        pam.d/           xdg/
hosts.allow        protocols
cockpit/            pkcs11/          xinetd.d/
hosts.deny         rc0.d@
cron.d/             pki/             yum/                     init.d@
          rc1.d@
crypto-policies/    pm/              yum.repos.d/             inittab
          rc2.d@
dbus-1/             polkit-1/        adjtime                  inputrc
          rc3.d@
default/            popt.d/          aliases                  issue
          rc4.d@
depmod.d/           ppp/             bashrc
issue.net          rc5.d@
dhcp/               profile.d/       csh.cshrc
krb5.conf          rc6.d@
dnf/                rc.d/            csh.login
ld.so.cache        redhat-release@
dnsmasq.d/          rolekit/         DIR_COLORS
ld.so.conf         resolv.conf
docker/             rpm/             DIR_COLORS.256color
libaudit.conf      rpc
firewalld/          rwtab.d/         DIR_COLORS.lightbgcolor
libuser.conf       rwtab
gcrypt/             sasl2/           dnsmasq.conf
localtime@         services
gnupg/              security/        e2fsck.conf
login.defs         shadow
gss/                selinux/         environment
machine-id         shadow-
iproute2/           skel/            ethertypes
mke2fs.conf        shells
ld.so.conf.d/       ssl/             exports                  motd
          statetab
libnl/              statetab.d/      fedora-release           mtab@
          sysctl.conf
libreport/          sysconfig/       filesystems              networks
          system-release@
logrotate.d/        sysctl.d/        GREP_COLORS
nsswitch.conf      system-release-cpe
lvm/                systemd/         group
nsswitch.conf.bak  tcsd.conf
modprobe.d/         terminfo/        group-
os-release@        xattr.conf

and the container now boots perfect and I can log in.

So I must not mount the /etc and /var subvolumes to be able to boot
the containers.
My two subvolumes have been indeed populated, but in a very very
uncompleted way. Why?

What did I wrong in my settings? I was waiting for /etc and /var
subvolumes full with all the needed files. Were I wrong?

TY for hints

--

google.com/+arnaudgabourygabx

* Re: installation of a nspwan-container on btrfs subvolumes
@ 2015-04-27 14:10 ` arnaud gaboury
From: arnaud gaboury @ 2015-04-27 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Btrfs BTRFS

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 7:22 PM, arnaud gaboury
<arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>           statetab
> libnl/              statetab.d/      fedora-release           mtab@
>           sysctl.conf
> libreport/          sysconfig/       filesystems              networks
>           system-release@
> logrotate.d/        sysctl.d/        GREP_COLORS
> nsswitch.conf      system-release-cpe
> lvm/                systemd/         group
> nsswitch.conf.bak  tcsd.conf
> modprobe.d/         terminfo/        group-
> os-release@        xattr.conf
>
> and the container now boots perfect and I can log in.
>
> So I must not mount the /etc and /var subvolumes to be able to boot
> the containers.
> My two subvolumes have been indeed populated, but in a very very
> uncompleted way. Why?
>
> What did I wrong in my settings? I was waiting for /etc and /var
> subvolumes full with all the needed files. Were I wrong?

This issue is now solved. The root was the fact that I installed
Fedora from the minimal raw image this way:

# systemd-nspawn -M Fedora-Cloud-Base-22_Beta-20150415.x86_64.raw
--bind=/var/lib/machines/poppy:/mnt

So in that case, only /var/lib/machines/poppy was populated by the installation.

The solution was:
# systemd-nspawn -M Fedora-Cloud-Base-22_Beta-20150415.x86_64.raw
--bind=/var/lib/machines/poppy:/mnt
--bind=/var/lib/machines/poppy/etc:/mnt/etc
--bind=/var/lib/machines/poppy/var:/mnt/var

--

google.com/+arnaudgabourygabx