* WD Red vs SE/RE drives for mdadm RAID1 (TLER?)
@ 2014-06-11 15:35 Mark Knecht
From: Mark Knecht @ 2014-06-11 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-RAID

I need to purchase a couple of new drives for a mdadm type RAID1. In
reviewing the WD website I did not find the TLER feature on the WD Red
spec sheets. The TLER feature is clearly called out on both the SE &
RE lines.

Should the lack of this feature eliminate the WD Red line from
consideration for a high-use (12-16 hours a day) home machine? I
currently use smaller RE drives and have been very happy but the
current price difference between WD Red and WD SE/RE is about a 50%
premium. (General price check at Amazon.)

Thanks,
Mark

* Re: WD Red vs SE/RE drives for mdadm RAID1 (TLER?)
@ 2014-06-12  2:17 ` Brad Campbell
From: Brad Campbell @ 2014-06-12  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Knecht, Linux-RAID

On 11/06/14 23:35, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I need to purchase a couple of new drives for a mdadm type RAID1. In
> reviewing the WD website I did not find the TLER feature on the WD Red
> spec sheets. The TLER feature is clearly called out on both the SE &
> RE lines.

It's there. I have several of them here and they all have it. I also
have 12 greens of which 11 have TLER (must be early models). I know the
new ones don't.

* Re: WD Red vs SE/RE drives for mdadm RAID1 (TLER?)
@ 2014-06-12  2:28   ` Phil Turmel
From: Phil Turmel @ 2014-06-12  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Knecht; +Cc: Brad Campbell, Linux-RAID

On 06/11/2014 10:17 PM, Brad Campbell wrote:
> On 11/06/14 23:35, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> I need to purchase a couple of new drives for a mdadm type RAID1. In
>> reviewing the WD website I did not find the TLER feature on the WD Red
>> spec sheets. The TLER feature is clearly called out on both the SE &
>> RE lines.
>>

> It's there. I have several of them here and they all have it. I also
> have 12 greens of which 11 have TLER (must be early models). I know the
> new ones don't.

I took delivery of four brand new Reds today -- haven't opened the boxes
yet.  I'll verify tomorrow for y'all, but I'll be shocked and dismayed
if SCTERC doesn't default to 7.0 seconds.

Phil

* Re: WD Red vs SE/RE drives for mdadm RAID1 (TLER?)
@ 2014-06-12 15:03     ` Mark Knecht
From: Mark Knecht @ 2014-06-12 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Turmel; +Cc: Brad Campbell, Linux-RAID

Brad & Phil,
   Thanks for the info. I received an email off-list from an
individual using WD Reds, along with some Seagates, in a RAID6. scterc
is there in his Reds and is set to 7 seconds by default. I ordered a
couple to try out here at home.

Cheers,
Mark