* how to remove a package from image
@ 2020-02-11 17:05 Kent Dorfman
From: Kent Dorfman @ 2020-02-11 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

My vendor finally realized that I needed a full yocto release and not
the eSDK.  Anyway, I can build their image, but when I modify the
kernel to remove CAN drivers I get the errors that

packagegroup-can-support
packagegroup-ow-support

are required.

What is the "yocto way"  to remove those packages and dependencies
from the build?

* Re: [yocto] how to remove a package from image
@ 2020-02-11 17:33 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2020-02-11 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Dorfman; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

You need to modify the image recipe so that those packagegroups are not
pulled in. If you cannot do that because it's in a layer controlled by
someone else etc, then make a new image recipe, and build that image
instead.

Alex

@ 2020-02-11 23:50   ` Kent Dorfman
From: Kent Dorfman @ 2020-02-11 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

was able to modify the vendor's machine/inc file to remove the
offending package.
Since the whole tree is in git now, I suppose that's OK, but I do wish
yocto had better tools for managing inclusions and introspection into
what is in an image and at what level it's defined.

@ 2020-02-12  2:33     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2020-02-12  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Dorfman; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 06:50:09PM -0500, Kent Dorfman wrote:
> was able to modify the vendor's machine/inc file to remove the
> offending package.
> Since the whole tree is in git now, I suppose that's OK, but I do wish
> yocto had better tools for managing inclusions and introspection into
> what is in an image and at what level it's defined.

Images are supposed to be all custom. It means if you cannot easily use one of
the existing images, you create your own. There are ways to bbappend an
existing image and mangle its content, but it's usually not worth the trouble
when you can simply create your own.

--
Denys

@ 2020-02-12  7:15     ` Alexander Kanavin