* Re: of_mdio: Checking build dependencies
       [not found] <a1a749e7-48be-d0ab-8fb5-914daf512ae9@web.de>
@ 2021-03-11 16:26 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2021-03-11 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Elfring
  Cc: stable, netdev, Calvin Johnson, David S. Miller, Heiner Kallweit,
	Ioana Ciornei, Jakub Kicinski, Rob Herring, Russell King, LKML,
	kernel-janitors, Masahiro Yamada

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 09:31:07PM +0100, Markus Elfring wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to build the Linux version “5.11.5” for my needs.
> But I stumbled on the following information.
>
> …
>   AR      drivers/built-in.a
>   LD [M]  drivers/visorbus/visorbus.o
>   GEN     .version
>   CHK     include/generated/compile.h
> error: the following would cause module name conflict:
>   drivers/net/mdio/of_mdio.ko
>   drivers/of/of_mdio.ko

Hi Markus

Something wrong here. There should not be any of_mdio.ko in
drivers/of. That was the whole point of the patch you referenced, it
moved this file to drivers/net/mdio/. Please check where your
drivers/of/of_mdio.ko comes from. Has there been a bad merge conflict
resolution? Or is it left over from an older build?

   Andrew

* Re: of_mdio: Checking build dependencies
@ 2021-03-11 17:24   ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2021-03-11 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn
  Cc: Markus Elfring, stable, Networking, Calvin Johnson,
	David S. Miller, Heiner Kallweit, Ioana Ciornei, Jakub Kicinski,

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 1:26 AM Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 09:31:07PM +0100, Markus Elfring wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to build the Linux version “5.11.5” for my needs.
> > But I stumbled on the following information.
> >
> > …
> >   AR      drivers/built-in.a
> >   LD [M]  drivers/visorbus/visorbus.o
> >   GEN     .version
> >   CHK     include/generated/compile.h
> > error: the following would cause module name conflict:
> >   drivers/net/mdio/of_mdio.ko
> >   drivers/of/of_mdio.ko
>
> Hi Markus
>
> Something wrong here. There should not be any of_mdio.ko in
> drivers/of. That was the whole point of the patch you referenced, it
> moved this file to drivers/net/mdio/. Please check where your
> drivers/of/of_mdio.ko comes from. Has there been a bad merge conflict
> resolution? Or is it left over from an older build?
>
>    Andrew

modules.order may include both
drivers/of/of_mdio.ko  and
drivers/net/mdio/of_mdio.c

But, I do not know how this could happen.

I checked out 14b26b127c098bba^,
and built modules with CONFIG_OF_MDIO=m.
Then, I checked out 14b26b127c098bba
and rebuilt.

I did not see such an error.

I also checked the Kbuild code,