From: Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@kernel.org>
To: Nick Desaulniers <nick.desaulniers@gmail.com>
Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	"marcan@marcan.st" <marcan@marcan.st>,
	Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com>,
	clang-built-linux <llvm@lists.linux.dev>,
	asahi@lists.linux.dev,
	linux-arm-kernel <linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: Any interest in building the Linux kernel from a MacOS host?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 17:56:40 +0900	[thread overview]

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 4:51 PM Nick Desaulniers
<nick.desaulniers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure if this is potentially interesting to anyone but I was able
> to get the kernel building from MacOS my M2 Air with a small amount of
> effort (read: duct tape and bailing wire).  If this might seem helpful
> to anyone's workflow, I wouldn't mind pursuing this (with some
> cleanup, sending a more formal patch set).  Maybe this helps us
> bootstrap or get Linux up and running sooner on these machines?
>
> Take a look at the commit message linked below for the trials & tribulations:
> https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/commit/f06333e29addbc3d714adb340355f471c1dfe95a
>
> Thanks,
> ~Nick Desaulniers

I see some efforts in this direction, for example,

commit dd2a3acaecd7abb2d43b09a823cf2e4c967fa2ac
Author: Andreas Bießmann <andreas@biessmann.de>
Date:   Fri Feb 24 08:23:53 2012 +0100

    mod/file2alias: make modpost compile on darwin again

I do not mind a small amount of code addition.
It may be broken from time to time because there are less number of
developers testing kernel builds on macOS.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

From: Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@kernel.org>