* Disabling gcc inline operation
@ 2014-03-23 22:31 ` anish singh
From: anish singh @ 2014-03-23 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LAK, linux-kernel-mail

Many a time i have got a crash and it is difficult
to find out the exact function which crashed
because the crash stack doesn't show the "real"
function because gcc inlines many functions when
ever it desires or when it optimizes for speed.

So i don't want gcc to inline any function instead
just call the function so that i can see the crash
stack of each function called. I just want to do
this for debugging. Please let me know how can
i do that?

What switch command to pass to gcc in the make
of linux kernel?

From: anish singh @ 2014-03-23 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Many a time i have got a crash and it is difficult
to find out the exact function which crashed
because the crash stack doesn't show the "real"
function because gcc inlines many functions when
ever it desires or when it optimizes for speed.

So i don't want gcc to inline any function instead
just call the function so that i can see the crash
stack of each function called. I just want to do
this for debugging. Please let me know how can
i do that?

What switch command to pass to gcc in the make
of linux kernel?

* Re: Disabling gcc inline operation
@ 2014-03-24  9:33   ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2014-03-24  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anish singh, LAK, linux-kernel-mail

On 23/03/14 23:31, anish singh wrote:
> Many a time i have got a crash and it is difficult
> to find out the exact function which crashed
> because the crash stack doesn't show the "real"
> function because gcc inlines many functions when
> ever it desires or when it optimizes for speed.
>
> So i don't want gcc to inline any function instead
> just call the function so that i can see the crash
> stack of each function called. I just want to do
> this for debugging. Please let me know how can
> i do that?
>
> What switch command to pass to gcc in the make
> of linux kernel?

You tried to look at gcc.gnu.org, right? Your best options are -O0
and/or -Og for debugging purposes.

Regards,
Arend

From: Arend van Spriel @ 2014-03-24  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2014-03-24 21:33     ` anish singh
From: anish singh @ 2014-03-24 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel; +Cc: LAK, linux-kernel-mail

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 2:33 AM, Arend van Spriel <arend@broadcom.com> wrote:
> On 23/03/14 23:31, anish singh wrote:
>>
>> Many a time i have got a crash and it is difficult
>> to find out the exact function which crashed
>> because the crash stack doesn't show the "real"
>> function because gcc inlines many functions when
>> ever it desires or when it optimizes for speed.
>>
>> So i don't want gcc to inline any function instead
>> just call the function so that i can see the crash
>> stack of each function called. I just want to do
>> this for debugging. Please let me know how can
>> i do that?
>>
>> What switch command to pass to gcc in the make
>> of linux kernel?
>

> You tried to look at gcc.gnu.org, right? Your best options are -O0 and/or
> -Og for debugging purposes.
It worked with -fno-inline

From: anish singh @ 2014-03-24 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 2:33 AM, Arend van Spriel <arend@broadcom.com> wrote:
> On 23/03/14 23:31, anish singh wrote:
>>
>> Many a time i have got a crash and it is difficult
>> to find out the exact function which crashed
>> because the crash stack doesn't show the "real"
>> function because gcc inlines many functions when
>> ever it desires or when it optimizes for speed.
>>
>> So i don't want gcc to inline any function instead
>> just call the function so that i can see the crash
>> stack of each function called. I just want to do
>> this for debugging. Please let me know how can
>> i do that?
>>
>> What switch command to pass to gcc in the make
>> of linux kernel?
>

> You tried to look at gcc.gnu.org, right? Your best options are -O0 and/or
> -Og for debugging purposes.
It worked with -fno-inline