* DSP packages for OMAP3
@ 2014-06-10 23:04 Ash Charles
From: Ash Charles @ 2014-06-10 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

Hi,

I was stepping through the meta-ti layer to assess support for the DSP
on OMAP3[57].

Two questions:
1.  It looks like there are more recent versions of the code
generation tools [1] (either 7.6.0 or 7.4.8) than 7.2.7.  Is there any
reason not to use these newer version? (Apologies if this is a dumb
question---I just don't know enough about the DSP ecosystem)

2. It seems like ti-dsplink and ti-linuxutils (among others I suspect)
have hardcoded compiler paths and flags that supersede those provided
by bitbake.  This is causing me headaches when trying to build with a
hardfp compiler (as recent SGX binaries are provided in hardfp mode).
Is there a technical limitation to compiling DSP support code with a
hard float compiler?  I don't mind taking a stab at making the
makefiles a little more flexible but if the code itself relies on
non-hardfp, I'll need to rethink.

Thanks for any advice,
--Ash

[1] http://software-dl.ti.com/codegen/non-esd/downloads/download.htm

* Re: DSP packages for OMAP3
@ 2014-06-11  2:56 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2014-06-11  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ash Charles; +Cc: meta-ti

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 04:04:43PM -0700, Ash Charles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was stepping through the meta-ti layer to assess support for the DSP
> on OMAP3[57].
>
> Two questions:
> 1.  It looks like there are more recent versions of the code
> generation tools [1] (either 7.6.0 or 7.4.8) than 7.2.7.  Is there any
> reason not to use these newer version? (Apologies if this is a dumb
> question---I just don't know enough about the DSP ecosystem)
>
> 2. It seems like ti-dsplink and ti-linuxutils (among others I suspect)
> have hardcoded compiler paths and flags that supersede those provided
> by bitbake.  This is causing me headaches when trying to build with a
> hardfp compiler (as recent SGX binaries are provided in hardfp mode).
> Is there a technical limitation to compiling DSP support code with a
> hard float compiler?  I don't mind taking a stab at making the
> makefiles a little more flexible but if the code itself relies on
> non-hardfp, I'll need to rethink.

Unfortunately, DSP support in meta-ti is not maintained currently, as
explained in the corresponding README file.

--
Denys

* Re: DSP packages for OMAP3
@ 2014-06-11  8:13   ` Ash Charles
From: Ash Charles @ 2014-06-11  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denys@ti.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, DSP support in meta-ti is not maintained currently, as
> explained in the corresponding README file.
Thanks Denys---I understand the recipes are aging a bit.  I mostly
trying to  get a handle on what is achievable with the current
state-of-the-art.  Know of any reason a) not to try with a recent
version of the CGT b) that hard float can't be used with DSP support
code?

--Ash

* Re: DSP packages for OMAP3
@ 2014-06-11 14:35     ` Enrico
From: Enrico @ 2014-06-11 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ash Charles; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Ash Charles <ashcharles@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denys@ti.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, DSP support in meta-ti is not maintained currently, as
>> explained in the corresponding README file.
> Thanks Denys---I understand the recipes are aging a bit.  I mostly
> trying to  get a handle on what is achievable with the current
> state-of-the-art.  Know of any reason a) not to try with a recent
> version of the CGT b) that hard float can't be used with DSP support
> code?

If you have no specific reason to update the CGT you will just waste
your time, it's a miracle that it's still working as it is...infact
i'm using it so i can say that it works.

Unfortunately the libraries are only soft float, so no hard float
support. The problem is not in the makefiles (well maybe some patching
is needed), you will just get link errors.

Enrico

* Re: DSP packages for OMAP3
@ 2014-06-12 23:09       ` Ash Charles
From: Ash Charles @ 2014-06-12 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enrico; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Enrico <ebutera@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> If you have no specific reason to update the CGT you will just waste
> your time, it's a miracle that it's still working as it is...infact
> i'm using it so i can say that it works.
I had to make a few patches to get gstreamer-ti and friends to compile
with yocto-master.  Send patches to meta-ti?

> Unfortunately the libraries are only soft float, so no hard float
> support. The problem is not in the makefiles (well maybe some patching
> is needed), you will just get link errors.
What packages actually contained pre-built binaries?  I see a bunch of
arm binaries with the extension .xv5T but I've been struggling to
figure out what binaries are pre-compiled.

--Ash

* Re: DSP packages for OMAP3
@ 2014-06-13 14:32         ` Enrico
From: Enrico @ 2014-06-13 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ash Charles; +Cc: meta-ti

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Ash Charles <ashcharles@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Enrico <ebutera@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> If you have no specific reason to update the CGT you will just waste
>> your time, it's a miracle that it's still working as it is...infact
>> i'm using it so i can say that it works.
> I had to make a few patches to get gstreamer-ti and friends to compile
> with yocto-master.  Send patches to meta-ti?

Sure :)

>> Unfortunately the libraries are only soft float, so no hard float
>> support. The problem is not in the makefiles (well maybe some patching
>> is needed), you will just get link errors.
> What packages actually contained pre-built binaries?  I see a bunch of
> arm binaries with the extension .xv5T but I've been struggling to
> figure out what binaries are pre-compiled.

i don't know, probably you can do a "make clean" in the various ti-*
tools and see what libraries are not deleted (some recipes do that
before compiling), but i never spent time trying to figure it out.

Maybe someone from TI can remember that.

Enrico