From: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>
To: Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com>
Cc: Vignesh Raghavendra <vigneshr@ti.com>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>, Nishanth Menon <nm@ti.com>,
	Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net>, SoC <soc@kernel.org>,
	arm-soc <arm@kernel.org>, Tero Kristo <kristo@kernel.org>,
	Linux ARM <linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>,
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL 1/2] arm64: TI K3 SoC configs changes for v5.17
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:55:48 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 4:32 PM Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 11:10:25PM +0530, Vignesh Raghavendra wrote:
> >
> > Currently its not possible to build PCIE_CADENCE_PLAT_HOST/EP drivers as
> > modules (symbols are bool only).
> > PCIe is not necessary for basic boot either. So, I can drop these
> > configs until these drivers are build able as modules, if you prefer.
>
> Is PCIe required for basic boot for the other platforms in the defconfig
> which do enable it in the defconfig today?  It is required for non-basic
> boot (whatever storage one puts in a PCIe slot).  If someone is going to
> be fixing the PCIe driver to be able to be modular, that's fine too but
> I ran in to this trying to see what works out of the box in the
> defconfig, on this platform and hit both of these rather large
> omissions.

If PCI is often used for storage, then that's ok. There are a number of
other platforms where PCIe is only used for wireless networking or
other secondary devices, but they are still built-in because they got
added before it became possible for PCIe host drivers to be loadable
modules. I would like to eventually go through and turn those into
loadable modules, but for the moment it would be good to only add
built-in drivers where this is actually useful.

       Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>
To: Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com>
Cc: Vignesh Raghavendra <vigneshr@ti.com>,