From: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>
To: Alan Kao <alankao@andestech.com>
Cc: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>,
	 Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org>,
	kernel test robot <lkp@intel.com>,
	kbuild-all@lists.01.org,
	 Linux Memory Management List <linux-mm@kvack.org>,
	Greentime Hu <green.hu@gmail.com>, Nick Hu <nickhu@andestech.com>,
	 Vincent Chen <deanbo422@gmail.com>, KC <kclin@andestech.com>,
	 Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@kernel.org>,
	nickhu@sifive.com, nick.hu@sifive.com
Subject: Re: [linux-next:master 70/7526] undefined reference to `__trace_hardirqs_off'
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:57:28 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 10:56 AM Alan Kao <alankao@andestech.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 09:38:30AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that makes sense. I think nds32 was always going to be a
> > short-lived architecture as Andestech was already in the process of
> > moving to RISC-V before it was ever submitted upstream. I did
> > hope that it would live a little longer, but it seems that everyone who
> > ever worked on it in mainline has left andestech by now.
> >
> > I'm guessing Nick's current email address based on his Linkedin page,
> > maybe he can contact someone who is still there and able to
> > take over.
>
> I am in charge of this now.

Great, thanks for stepping up!

> All of our nds32 customers maintain their own kernel derived from
> previous LTS versions.  Also, we (as the Linux team in Andes) now
> dedicate our whole effort to RISC-V, so there is no longer need
> to maintain arch/nds32.
>
> We really appreciate your guidance and support.  Many thanks to
> the community as well.

Ok, sounds like it can indeed get phased out then. How would
you like to proceed here? Would you send a patch to remove
arch/nds32 and all the associated driver code that is no longer
used with your RISC-V based targets, or would you first update
the MAINTAINERS file to list yourself and pick a date for the
final removal?

Either way, feel free to send me patches to pick up in the
asm-generic tree.

        Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>
To: kbuild-all@lists.01.org