* [Buildroot] How to bypass fix-rpath for a particular package?
@ 2018-07-17  3:53 Tudor Holton
From: Tudor Holton @ 2018-07-17  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all,

I have a br_external package that always lands corrupt on the image and
segfaults. I tried a number of things and eventually discovered that it
works fine if I graft the output from build directly into the final
image.? From this I narrowed it down to something that happens during
fix-rpath, which looks simple, but all my checks show that I'm not
linking with anything other than -rpath=$ORIGIN so I'm at a loss as to
the root cause.

This may not be the best solution, but is there a standard way to tell
fix-rpath not to patchelf my package and just copy it verbatim to the image?

Cheers,
Tudor.

* [Buildroot] How to bypass fix-rpath for a particular package?
@ 2018-07-17 13:55 ` Bryce Ferguson
From: Bryce Ferguson @ 2018-07-17 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Tudor,

When you say that the file is corrupted on the image, what does that mean
exactly?  Have you performed a readelf on the binary to determine what
fields may have been messed up?  What is your target architecture?

Thanks,

-Bryce

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 10:53 PM, Tudor Holton <tudor@smartguide.com.au>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a br_external package that always lands corrupt on the image and
> segfaults. I tried a number of things and eventually discovered that it
> works fine if I graft the output from build directly into the final image.
> From this I narrowed it down to something that happens during fix-rpath,
> which looks simple, but all my checks show that I'm not linking with
> anything other than -rpath=$ORIGIN so I'm at a loss as to the root cause.
>
> This may not be the best solution, but is there a standard way to tell
> fix-rpath not to patchelf my package and just copy it verbatim to the image?
>
> Cheers,
> Tudor.

*Bryce Ferguson*
Software Engineer
Airborne Information Solutions \ RC Linux Platform

400 Collins Rd NE Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52498

Bryce.Ferguson at rockwellcollins.com <bryce.ferguson@rockwellcollins.com>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] How to bypass fix-rpath for a particular package?
@ 2018-07-18  0:05   ` Tudor Holton
From: Tudor Holton @ 2018-07-18  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Bryce,

It appears that the symbols referencing the library names have been
bitshifted.? At best, objdump -x gives correct references, ldd
segfaults.? At worst, the objdump -x contains structured gibberish.? It
doesn't happen on all files, though, but at this point I'm unable to
discern a pattern.

I'm guessing that patchelf has a false positive, but I'm no expert in
this area.? I'm not used to ldd segfaulting so I have only been learning
this stuff since I discovered the behaviour.? It came as a complete
surprise to me when I noticed the md5sum difference and grafted directly
and it worked.

Cheers,
Tudor.

@ 2018-07-18 14:20     ` Bryce Ferguson
From: Bryce Ferguson @ 2018-07-18 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Tudor,

Please provide your target architecture and the version of buildroot you
are using.

Thanks!

--

@ 2018-07-19  1:03       ` Tudor Holton
From: Tudor Holton @ 2018-07-19  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Bryce,

My apologies.? I realised I hadn't provided that detail only as I was
walking home last night.

I'm currently building a Intel x86_64 uclibc (with getc/putc macros
disabled) buildroot Image on an Intel x86_64 glibc (Ubuntu) docker
container on an Intel x86_64 glibc (Ubuntu) host.

Cheers,
Tudor.