* When will Linux support new RAID controllers
@ 2017-11-09 18:24 David F.
From: David F. @ 2017-11-09 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

It seems that Linux will not see any HD on Intel's 100 Series or newer
chipsets (Z170, etc.) when in RAID mode.  (typically these systems
have M2 NVMe devices ). This is problematic when wanting to use Linux
on the system without having to disable RAID and when on their with
Windows.   Maybe not a linux-raid issue, but is Linux RAID issue
within the kernel device support.

* Re: When will Linux support new RAID controllers
@ 2017-11-10 13:19   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-11-10 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David F.; +Cc: linux-raid, linux-ide, linux-nvme, Dan Williams

On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 10:24:54AM -0800, David F. wrote:
> It seems that Linux will not see any HD on Intel's 100 Series or newer
> chipsets (Z170, etc.) when in RAID mode.  (typically these systems
> have M2 NVMe devices ). This is problematic when wanting to use Linux
> on the system without having to disable RAID and when on their with
> Windows.   Maybe not a linux-raid issue, but is Linux RAID issue
> within the kernel device support.

Dan (on Cc) posted some patches to support the awkwared so called
"RAID" mode (it really should be Intel landgrab mode) in the client
chipsets more than a year ago.

It needed a bit of a rework to be present as a fake PCIe root port
instead of the platform driver magic, so I wonder what happened to
it - Dan any chance to get back to it?

From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-11-10 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 13:31     ` Dennis Mungai
From: Dennis Mungai @ 2017-11-10 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: David F., linux-raid, linux-ide, Dan Williams, linux-nvme

That feature would be especially important on systems where the
BIOS/UEFI environment offers no option to toggle back the AHCI mode.
This "RAID" Intel features is also known as "Intel Premium RST mode"
on all current Clevo systems, and on such a platform (the Clevo
P751DM2-G, marketed by the likes of Schenker and Origin PC) is based
on this platform.

-Dennis.

From: Dennis Mungai @ 2017-11-10 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 19:06       ` David F.
From: David F. @ 2017-11-10 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Mungai
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, linux-raid, linux-ide, Dan Williams, linux-nvme

A patch would be great.  There has been several cases where no option
to use AHCI mode available, or where a box seller would offer Linux as
an alternate boot option against Windows in RAID mode (on the mobo)
but could no longer provide Linux with their systems (without
additional costs for add-in raid controller).

From: David F. @ 2017-11-10 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-12-05  2:01         ` David F.
From: David F. @ 2017-12-05  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Mungai
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, linux-raid, linux-ide, Dan Williams, linux-nvme

Hi,

Any word if the patch is available?

Is this going mainline anytime soon?

From: David F. @ 2017-12-05  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-12-07  0:00           ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-12-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David F.
  Cc: Dennis Mungai, Christoph Hellwig, linux-raid, linux-ide,
	Dan Williams, linux-nvme

I guess poor Dan got a gag order from the people responsible for this
mess at Intel or something, as he's usually quick to reply and very
helpful.

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 06:01:10PM -0800, David F. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any word if the patch is available?
>
> Is this going mainline anytime soon?
>

> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 11:06 AM, David F. <df7729@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A patch would be great.  There has been several cases where no option
> > to use AHCI mode available, or where a box seller would offer Linux as
> > an alternate boot option against Windows in RAID mode (on the mobo)
> > but could no longer provide Linux with their systems (without
> > additional costs for add-in raid controller).
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 5:31 AM, Dennis Mungai <dmngaie@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> That feature would be especially important on systems where the
> >> BIOS/UEFI environment offers no option to toggle back the AHCI mode.
> >> This "RAID" Intel features is also known as "Intel Premium RST mode"
> >> on all current Clevo systems, and on such a platform (the Clevo
> >> P751DM2-G, marketed by the likes of Schenker and Origin PC) is based
> >> on this platform.
> >>
> >> -Dennis.

---end quoted text---

From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-12-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-12-07 14:16           ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2017-12-07 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David F.
  Cc: Dennis Mungai, Christoph Hellwig, linux-raid, linux-ide,
	Dan Williams, linux-nvme

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 18:01:10 -0800
"David F." <df7729@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any word if the patch is available?
>
> Is this going mainline anytime soon?

I am not aware of anyone in Intel working on it or planning to work on it
at this point. Nothing stops someone outside of Intel doing that from the
code that was released.

For things that need BIOS changes whatever the vendor my experience has
always been that you make the most impact by talking to the actual system
vendor (who controls the BIOS), including telling them why you didn't buy
their machine. At the end of the day businesses make decisions based on
dollars.

Alan

From: Alan Cox @ 2017-12-07 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 18:01:10 -0800

@ 2017-12-07 14:18             ` Dennis Mungai
From: Dennis Mungai @ 2017-12-07 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox
  Cc: David F.,
	Christoph Hellwig, linux-raid, linux-ide, Dan Williams,
	linux-nvme

Eventually, a driver will roll out. The question is when.

From: Dennis Mungai @ 2017-12-07 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-12-13 20:20               ` David F.
From: David F. @ 2017-12-13 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Mungai
  Cc: Alan Cox, Christoph Hellwig, linux-raid, linux-ide, Dan Williams,
	linux-nvme

Where is the code/patch that was released?  If nobody knows about it,
nobody can work on it.

From: David F. @ 2017-12-13 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)