* [Qemu-devel] Regarding Intel IGD passthru support for QEMU/KVM
@ 2016-01-18  2:15 Raghavan Santhanam
From: Raghavan Santhanam @ 2016-01-18  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Raghavan Santhanam

Based on the Intel IGD passthru support that has been added to Qemu/Xen
code base,
is there any way to use/reuse the same logic currently to have a successful
passthru of an Intel
IGD with Qemu/KVM on a Linux host(Ubuntu x86_64) or will that require some
more
work in addition to what Xen code based already has for the IGD passthru?

Best,
Raghavan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Regarding Intel IGD passthru support for QEMU/KVM
@ 2016-01-18 11:18 ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2016-01-18 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghavan Santhanam; +Cc: qemu-devel

On So, 2016-01-17 at 18:15 -0800, Raghavan Santhanam wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Based on the Intel IGD passthru support that has been added to
> Qemu/Xen code base,
> is there any way to use/reuse the same logic currently to have a
> successful passthru of an Intel
> IGD with Qemu/KVM on a Linux host(Ubuntu x86_64) or will that require
> some more
> work in addition to what Xen code based already has for the IGD
> passthru?

It's in progress.  The xen code in the code base seems to have problems
though, recent testing showed that it'll only work with recent linux
kernels.  Older linux kernels and windows guest drivers do not work
correctly.  So this is not just about enabling kvm support, but also
about figuring why things are not working correctly on xen ...

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Regarding Intel IGD passthru support for QEMU/KVM
@ 2016-01-18 20:12   ` Raghavan Santhanam
From: Raghavan Santhanam @ 2016-01-18 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: Raghavan Santhanam, qemu-devel

Hi Gerd,

Okay, thanks for the update.

By the way, it's great to see the commitment of Qemu developers in the
open-source community. Appreciate your entire team's effort right from
the the inception of QEMU by Fabrice Bellard!

Best,
Raghavan

@ 2016-01-20 10:30 ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2016-01-20 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghavan Santhanam; +Cc: qemu-devel

  Hi,

> Based on the Intel IGD passthru support that has been added to
> Qemu/Xen code base, is there any way to use/reuse the same logic
> currently to have a successful passthru of an Intel IGD with Qemu/KVM
> on a Linux host(Ubuntu x86_64) or will that require some more
> work in addition to what Xen code based already has for the IGD
> passthru?

If you feel a bit adventurous you can try whenever current git master
(or 4.5-rc1 when Linus releases it next weekend) as guest kernel works
for you.

Recent linux kernels seem to not require the host bridge tweaks any
more.  A patch to recognize the qemu q35 south bridge has been added in
the merge window.

So using the q35 machine type + vfio passthrough without any special igd
tweaks has a fair chance to work.  opregion support isn't there yet, so
don't expect laptop panels work correctly.

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Regarding Intel IGD passthru support for QEMU/KVM
@ 2016-01-20 17:31   ` Raghavan Santhanam
From: Raghavan Santhanam @ 2016-01-20 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: Raghavan Santhanam, qemu-devel

Hi Gerd,

Thanks for the update.

Actually, I have already got Intel IGD passthru to work couple of days back
with git commit being
at f02ccf53693758b65843264e077f90cf295e7d98(disas/libvixl: Really suppress
gcc 4.6.3 sign-compare warnings).

As far as Qemu is concerned, I am using default machine. I just had to
modify the creation of PCI
devices code a little. And also the ISA bridge code. Host uses 3.*
kernel(yes, it's quite old!). Guest is
using 4.* kernel. Everything is working without issues. By the way, in my
case, Intel IGD is the primary
VGA. So, it has been challenging to accomplish this task since a very long
period of time.

And guest I am using is Android-x86(5.1/Lollipop). Updates to follow . . .

Best,
Raghavan

@ 2016-01-23 23:08     ` Raghavan Santhanam
From: Raghavan Santhanam @ 2016-01-23 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: Raghavan Santhanam

Hi All,

As I mentioned, here is the Intel IGD Passthru in action, that's fully
working without any issues, with QEMU/KVM running hardware-accelerated
Android-x86 5.1/Lollipop : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBN1DmarJ7k

Thank you all once again for the wonderful work on QEMU/KVM/XEN since many
years!

Best,
Raghavan

@ 2016-02-09 15:00       ` Raghavan Santhanam
From: Raghavan Santhanam @ 2016-02-09 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, Gerd Hoffmann, qemu-discuss; +Cc: Raghavan Santhanam

Hi All,

In an effort to *validate* my successful Intel IGD passthru with
QEMU/KVM, more completely, I attempted
two of the other popular available releases as of now : Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit
and Windows 10 LTSB 64-bit and
they work smoothly.

Here are their demo videos :
*Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit as the guest* :