* code conditional on non-existing PPC_EARLY_DEBUG_MICROWATT.
@ 2021-12-23 10:21 Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-12-23 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman, Benjamin Herrenschmidt, Paul Mackerras, linuxppc-dev

Dear Benjamin, dear Paul, dear Michael,

with commit 48b545b8018d ("powerpc/microwatt: Use standard 16550 UART
for console"), you have some code in arch/powerpc/kernel/udbg_16550.c,
conditional on the Kconfig symbol PPC_EARLY_DEBUG_MICROWATT. However,
since then, the definition of this Kconfig symbol was never introduced
to the mainline repository or current linux-next, nor am I finding any
pending patch for that.

Are you going to add this config definition soon? Or did you identify
that this setup code in udbg_16550.c is not actually needed and can we
simply drop this code again?

This issue was identified with the script ./scripts/checkkconfigsymbols.py.

Best regards,

Lukas

* Re: code conditional on non-existing PPC_EARLY_DEBUG_MICROWATT.
@ 2021-12-24  6:10 ` Christophe Leroy
From: Christophe Leroy @ 2021-12-24  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn, Michael Ellerman, Benjamin Herrenschmidt,
	Paul Mackerras, linuxppc-dev
  Cc: kernel-janitors, Linux Kernel Mailing List

Le 23/12/2021 à 11:21, Lukas Bulwahn a écrit :
> Dear Benjamin, dear Paul, dear Michael,
>
> with commit 48b545b8018d ("powerpc/microwatt: Use standard 16550 UART
> for console"), you have some code in arch/powerpc/kernel/udbg_16550.c,
> conditional on the Kconfig symbol PPC_EARLY_DEBUG_MICROWATT. However,
> since then, the definition of this Kconfig symbol was never introduced
> to the mainline repository or current linux-next, nor am I finding any
> pending patch for that.
>
> Are you going to add this config definition soon? Or did you identify
> that this setup code in udbg_16550.c is not actually needed and can we
> simply drop this code again?
>
> This issue was identified with the script ./scripts/checkkconfigsymbols.py.

Was it forgotten when handling comments to
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/patch/20200509050340.GD1464954@thinks.paulus.ozlabs.org/
?

* Re: code conditional on non-existing PPC_EARLY_DEBUG_MICROWATT.
@ 2021-12-25 22:42   ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2021-12-25 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Leroy, Lukas Bulwahn, Benjamin Herrenschmidt,
	Paul Mackerras, linuxppc-dev
  Cc: kernel-janitors, Linux Kernel Mailing List

Christophe Leroy <christophe.leroy@csgroup.eu> writes:
> Le 23/12/2021 à 11:21, Lukas Bulwahn a écrit :
>> Dear Benjamin, dear Paul, dear Michael,
>>
>> with commit 48b545b8018d ("powerpc/microwatt: Use standard 16550 UART
>> for console"), you have some code in arch/powerpc/kernel/udbg_16550.c,
>> conditional on the Kconfig symbol PPC_EARLY_DEBUG_MICROWATT. However,
>> since then, the definition of this Kconfig symbol was never introduced
>> to the mainline repository or current linux-next, nor am I finding any
>> pending patch for that.
>>
>> Are you going to add this config definition soon? Or did you identify
>> that this setup code in udbg_16550.c is not actually needed and can we
>> simply drop this code again?
>>
>> This issue was identified with the script ./scripts/checkkconfigsymbols.py.
>>

> Was it forgotten when handling comments to
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/patch/20200509050340.GD1464954@thinks.paulus.ozlabs.org/
> ?

Yes. I reported it internally to some folks but I guess they haven't had
time to send a fixup patch.

I'm pretty sure we just need the first three hunks of that patch, but it
would be good if someone with a Microwatt setup could test it.

cheers