* Add sub-topic on 'exFAT' in man mount
@ 2023-11-20 22:55 Seamus de Mora
From: Seamus de Mora @ 2023-11-20 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-man

I'd like to volunteer to add some information to the mount manual.

I'm told that exFAT was added to the kernel about 4 years ago, but
last I checked, there was nothing about it in man mount.  I feel this
could be addressed best by adding a sub-topic on exFAT under the topic
`FILESYSTEM-SPECIFIC MOUNT OPTIONS`.

If my application is of interest, please let me know what steps I need
to take - or how to approach this task.

Best Rgds,
~S

* Re: Add sub-topic on 'exFAT' in man mount
@ 2023-11-20 23:33 ` Alejandro Colomar
From: Alejandro Colomar @ 2023-11-20 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seamus de Mora; +Cc: linux-man

Hello Seamus,

On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 04:55:18PM -0600, Seamus de Mora wrote:
> I'd like to volunteer to add some information to the mount manual.
>
> I'm told that exFAT was added to the kernel about 4 years ago, but
> last I checked, there was nothing about it in man mount.  I feel this
> could be addressed best by adding a sub-topic on exFAT under the topic
> `FILESYSTEM-SPECIFIC MOUNT OPTIONS`.
>
> If my application is of interest, please let me know what steps I need
> to take - or how to approach this task.

It is of interest.  Thanks!  :)

You could start by reading the ./CONTRIBUTING file.  If you have any
doubts, feel free to ask more specific questions.  You could also add
something to filesystems(5) about exFAT, BTW.

Cheers,
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Add sub-topic on 'exFAT' in man mount
@ 2023-11-20 23:44   ` Seamus de Mora
From: Seamus de Mora @ 2023-11-20 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-man

Uh, OK... stupid question first: Where is ./CONTRIBUTING?

@ 2023-11-21  6:48     ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-11-21  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seamus de Mora; +Cc: Linux Manual Pages, Alejandro Colomar

On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 05:44:40PM -0600, Seamus de Mora wrote:
> Uh, OK... stupid question first: Where is ./CONTRIBUTING?

Please don't top-post, reply inline with appropriate context instead.

It is in man-pages.git tree [1].

Thanks.

[1]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/tree/CONTRIBUTING

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Add sub-topic on 'exFAT' in man mount
@ 2023-11-21  6:55 ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-11-21  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seamus de Mora, Linux Manual Pages, Linux Filesystems Development
  Cc: Alejandro Colomar, Namjae Jeon, Sungjong Seo

On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 04:55:18PM -0600, Seamus de Mora wrote:
> I'd like to volunteer to add some information to the mount manual.
>
> I'm told that exFAT was added to the kernel about 4 years ago, but
> last I checked, there was nothing about it in man mount.  I feel this
> could be addressed best by adding a sub-topic on exFAT under the topic
> `FILESYSTEM-SPECIFIC MOUNT OPTIONS`.
>
> If my application is of interest, please let me know what steps I need
> to take - or how to approach this task.

I'm adding from Alejandro's reply.

You can start reading the source in fs/exfat in linux.git tree [1].
Then you can write the documentation for exfat in Documentation/exfat.rst
(currently doesn't exist yet), at the same time of your manpage contribution.

Cc'ing exfat maintainers for better treatment.

Thanks.

[1]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/fs/exfat

--

@ 2023-11-21 10:08       ` Alejandro Colomar
From: Alejandro Colomar @ 2023-11-21 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya; +Cc: Seamus de Mora, Linux Manual Pages

Hi Seamus, Bagas,

[I'm reordering to better reply.]

On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 01:48:14PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> Please don't top-post, reply inline with appropriate context instead.

And the mandatory example.  :)

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 05:44:40PM -0600, Seamus de Mora wrote:
> > Uh, OK... stupid question first: Where is ./CONTRIBUTING?
>
> It is in man-pages.git tree [1].
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/tree/CONTRIBUTING

Yes, it is in the root of the source code repository.  Since you sent
the mail to the correct addresses (alx@ and linux-man@), I assumed you
had read at least the head(1) of that file, since it's the only place I
know that documents that.  I'm now curious: how did you know the
addresses to write to?

Cheers,
Alex

P.S.: Thanks, Bagas, for suggesting documenting in the Linux repo too
      and CCing the relevant list.

--

@ 2023-11-21 11:41         ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-11-21 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alejandro Colomar; +Cc: Seamus de Mora, Linux Manual Pages

On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 11:08:17AM +0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi Seamus, Bagas,
>
> [I'm reordering to better reply.]
>
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 01:48:14PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> > Please don't top-post, reply inline with appropriate context instead.
>
> And the mandatory example.  :)
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

Thanks for the pro tip! I was adapting my above message from broonie [1].

> > On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 05:44:40PM -0600, Seamus de Mora wrote:
> > > Uh, OK... stupid question first: Where is ./CONTRIBUTING?
> >
> > It is in man-pages.git tree [1].
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > [1]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/tree/CONTRIBUTING
>
> Yes, it is in the root of the source code repository.  Since you sent
> the mail to the correct addresses (alx@ and linux-man@), I assumed you
> had read at least the head(1) of that file, since it's the only place I
> know that documents that.  I'm now curious: how did you know the
> addresses to write to?

Observing the mailing list [2] AND read that file in man-page.git tree.
For the kernel proper, I always look in MAINTAINERS.

Thanks.

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/ZI2jhXUMv9QYmL94@finisterre.sirena.org.uk/
[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man

--

@ 2023-11-21 12:51           ` Alejandro Colomar
From: Alejandro Colomar @ 2023-11-21 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya; +Cc: Seamus de Mora, Linux Manual Pages

Hi Bagas,

On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 06:41:41PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

> > > It is in man-pages.git tree [1].
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > [1]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/tree/CONTRIBUTING
> >
> > Yes, it is in the root of the source code repository.  Since you sent
> > the mail to the correct addresses (alx@ and linux-man@), I assumed you
> > had read at least the head(1) of that file, since it's the only place I
> > know that documents that.  I'm now curious: how did you know the
> > addresses to write to?
>
> Observing the mailing list [2] AND read that file in man-page.git tree.
> For the kernel proper, I always look in MAINTAINERS.

Ah, no, I was asking that to Seamus.  :)

Cheers,
Alex

--

@ 2023-11-21 13:55         ` G. Branden Robinson
From: G. Branden Robinson @ 2023-11-21 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Manual Pages

At 2023-11-21T11:08:17+0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 01:48:14PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> > Please don't top-post, reply inline with appropriate context instead.
>
> And the mandatory example.  :)
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

In corporate communications it can make sense to top-post (and not
remove any quoted material, no matter how irrelevant).  I won't
elaborate here, because this is not a venue for corporate
communications.  But I have seen some programmers over-apply the above
preference and humor in contexts where there are reasons not to do so.

Only you can stop Dunning-Krugerism in its tracks!  ;-)

Regards,
Branden

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Add sub-topic on 'exFAT' in man mount
@ 2023-11-21 13:57             ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-11-21 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alejandro Colomar; +Cc: Seamus de Mora, Linux Manual Pages

On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 01:51:25PM +0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi Bagas,

> > > Yes, it is in the root of the source code repository.  Since you sent
> > > the mail to the correct addresses (alx@ and linux-man@), I assumed you
> > > had read at least the head(1) of that file, since it's the only place I
> > > know that documents that.  I'm now curious: how did you know the
> > > addresses to write to?
> >
> > Observing the mailing list [2] AND read that file in man-page.git tree.
> > For the kernel proper, I always look in MAINTAINERS.
>
> Ah, no, I was asking that to Seamus.  :)

Oops, I thought you were addressing to me. Thanks anyway.

--

@ 2023-11-21 16:41       ` Seamus de Mora
From: Seamus de Mora @ 2023-11-21 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya; +Cc: Linux Manual Pages, Alejandro Colomar

> > Uh, OK... stupid question first: Where is ./CONTRIBUTING?
> >

> Please don't top-post, reply inline with appropriate context instead.
>
> It is in man-pages.git tree [1].
>
> [1]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/tree/CONTRIBUTING

Apologies for top-posting... it is indeed a scourge for mail lists
like this - long threads w/ many participants.

I think I need a different mail client... Gmail clearly sucks at this.

@ 2023-11-26 23:59   ` Namjae Jeon
From: Namjae Jeon @ 2023-11-26 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seamus de Mora
  Cc: Linux Manual Pages, Linux Filesystems Development,
	Alejandro Colomar, Sungjong Seo, Bagas Sanjaya

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 04:55:18PM -0600, Seamus de Mora wrote:
>> I'd like to volunteer to add some information to the mount manual.
>>
>> I'm told that exFAT was added to the kernel about 4 years ago, but
>> last I checked, there was nothing about it in man mount.  I feel this
>> could be addressed best by adding a sub-topic on exFAT under the topic
>> `FILESYSTEM-SPECIFIC MOUNT OPTIONS`.
>>
>> If my application is of interest, please let me know what steps I need
>> to take - or how to approach this task.
>>

> I'm adding from Alejandro's reply.
>
> You can start reading the source in fs/exfat in linux.git tree [1].
> Then you can write the documentation for exfat in Documentation/exfat.rst
> (currently doesn't exist yet), at the same time of your manpage
> contribution.
>
> Cc'ing exfat maintainers for better treatment.
Thanks Bagas for forwarding this to us!

Hi Seamus,

Some of mount options are same with fatfs's ones. You can refer the
descriptions of fatfs
documentation(Documentation/filesystems/vfat.rst).
If you have any questions about other options or documentation for
exfat, please give an email me.

Thanks!

@ 2023-11-27 22:43     ` Seamus de Mora
From: Seamus de Mora @ 2023-11-27 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Namjae Jeon
  Cc: Linux Manual Pages, Linux Filesystems Development,

On Sun, Nov 26, 2023 at 5:59 PM Namjae Jeon <linkinjeon@kernel.org> wrote:

> > On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 04:55:18PM -0600, Seamus de Mora wrote:
> >> I'd like to volunteer to add some information to the mount manual.
> >>
> >> I'm told that exFAT was added to the kernel about 4 years ago, but
> >> last I checked, there was nothing about it in man mount.  I feel this
> >> could be addressed best by adding a sub-topic on exFAT under the topic
> >> `FILESYSTEM-SPECIFIC MOUNT OPTIONS`.
> >>
> >> If my application is of interest, please let me know what steps I need
> >> to take - or how to approach this task.
> >>

> > I'm adding from Alejandro's reply.
> >
> > You can start reading the source in fs/exfat in linux.git tree [1].
> > Then you can write the documentation for exfat in Documentation/exfat.rst
> > (currently doesn't exist yet), at the same time of your manpage
> > contribution.
> >
> > Cc'ing exfat maintainers for better treatment.
> Thanks Bagas for forwarding this to us!
>
> Hi Seamus,
>
> Some of mount options are same with fatfs's ones. You can refer the
> descriptions of fatfs
> documentation(Documentation/filesystems/vfat.rst).
> If you have any questions about other options or documentation for
> exfat, please give an email me.
>
> Thanks!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > [1]:
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/fs/exfat

Thanks for the offer Namjae; I'm sure I'll take you up on that when I
get ready to actually produce something. For now, I am reading and
trying to get myself up to speed to tackle this. So far, the going has
been a bit slow as I have a couple of commitments I need to finish.

@ 2023-12-05  7:49       ` Seamus de Mora
From: Seamus de Mora @ 2023-12-05  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Namjae Jeon
  Cc: Linux Manual Pages, Linux Filesystems Development,

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 4:43 PM Seamus de Mora <seamusdemora@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I'm adding from Alejandro's reply.
> > >
> > > You can start reading the source in fs/exfat in linux.git tree [1].
> > > Then you can write the documentation for exfat in Documentation/exfat.rst
> > > (currently doesn't exist yet), at the same time of your manpage
> > > contribution.
> > >
> > > Cc'ing exfat maintainers for better treatment.
> > Thanks Bagas for forwarding this to us!
> >
> > Hi Seamus,
> >
> > Some of mount options are same with fatfs's ones. You can refer the
> > descriptions of fatfs
> > documentation(Documentation/filesystems/vfat.rst).
> > If you have any questions about other options or documentation for
> > exfat, please give an email me.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > [1]:
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/fs/exfat
>
> Thanks for the offer Namjae; I'm sure I'll take you up on that when I
> get ready to actually produce something. For now, I am reading and
> trying to get myself up to speed to tackle this. So far, the going has
> been a bit slow as I have a couple of commitments I need to finish.

I've read a bit about the mechanics & markup for creating/editing man
pages. Now all I need is something useful to say :)

In that regard, I **guess** the best place to look for the details I
need is in the source code. Without access to the author or
maintainers, I don't see how else to get at the details needed for a
decent piece of documentation. I think that is what Bagas (?)
suggested, but how/where do I find "fs/exfat in linux.git tree" ??

Thanks,

@ 2023-12-05  9:03         ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-12-05  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seamus de Mora, Namjae Jeon