* HoG: Report Map Sharing is not Happening all the time.
@ 2015-11-19  6:33 Prabhu Chawandi
From: Prabhu Chawandi @ 2015-11-19  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hi All,

  In My bluetooth Smart Keyboard sometimes though connection is
established key presses were not being received by application. I
tried running 'evtest' /dev/input/eventX node was not created when the
issue was seen. After some debug I found the Report Maps were not
shared. [i dint see the log when run bluetoothd -d

1. Is it necessary to share report map all the time system is reboot ?
2. is the Report map not cached ? or Cached which system failed to pick ?

Please let me know your views.

many thanks,
Prabhu Chawandi

* Re: HoG: Report Map Sharing is not Happening all the time.
@ 2015-11-19 13:15 ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2015-11-19 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prabhu Chawandi; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Prabhu,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Prabhu Chawandi <foss.chaws@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>   In My bluetooth Smart Keyboard sometimes though connection is
> established key presses were not being received by application. I
> tried running 'evtest' /dev/input/eventX node was not created when the
> issue was seen. After some debug I found the Report Maps were not
> shared. [i dint see the log when run bluetoothd -d
>
> 1. Is it necessary to share report map all the time system is reboot ?
> 2. is the Report map not cached ? or Cached which system failed to pick ?

The report map is lost every time you restart bluetoothd, that is
because we only cache attribute handles but not theirs values since it
would be way too expensive the read and store everything, so what
happens is that during the first time you connect to a HoG peripheral
bluetoothd will attempt to read the report map and create the input
device but perhaps there is something causing a problem in your case.

> Please let me know your views.
>
> many thanks,
> Prabhu Chawandi

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

* Re: HoG: Report Map Sharing is not Happening all the time.
@ 2015-11-20  4:52   ` Prabhu Chawandi
From: Prabhu Chawandi @ 2015-11-20  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Luiz,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz
<luiz.dentz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Prabhu,
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Prabhu Chawandi <foss.chaws@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>   In My bluetooth Smart Keyboard sometimes though connection is
>> established key presses were not being received by application. I
>> tried running 'evtest' /dev/input/eventX node was not created when the
>> issue was seen. After some debug I found the Report Maps were not
>> shared. [i dint see the log when run bluetoothd -d
>>
>> 1. Is it necessary to share report map all the time system is reboot ?
>> 2. is the Report map not cached ? or Cached which system failed to pick ?
>
> The report map is lost every time you restart bluetoothd, that is
> because we only cache attribute handles but not theirs values since it
> would be way too expensive the read and store everything, so what
> happens is that during the first time you connect to a HoG peripheral
> bluetoothd will attempt to read the report map and create the input
> device but perhaps there is something causing a problem in your case.
>
>> Please let me know your views.
>>
>> many thanks,
>> Prabhu Chawandi
>> --

> Luiz Augusto von Dentz

I went through the hcidump

I saw multiple connection and disconnection sequence. In the hcidump
its saying connection timed out[not sure about the reason]

When disconnection  happens
< ACL data: handle 68 flags 0x00 dlen 11
    ATT: Read By Type req (0x08)
      start 0x0011, end 0x0030
      type-uuid 0x2803
> HCI Event: Disconn Complete (0x05) plen 4
    status 0x00 handle 68 reason 0x08
    Reason: Connection Timeout

Supervisory timeout in peripheral is 20.5 Seconds is it not fine ?
Please let me know is there any parameter I need to configure
[timeouts] for me ?

After some attempts connection is successful, but I see no report map
is requested by bluez.

< HCI Command: LE Connection Update (0x08|0x0013) plen 14
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
    LE Connection Update (0x08|0x0013) status 0x00 ncmd 0
> HCI Event: Number of Completed Packets (0x13) plen 5
    handle 68 packets 1
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
    Unknown (0x00|0x0000) status 0x00 ncmd 1
> HCI Event: LE Meta Event (0x3e) plen 10
    LE Connection Update Complete
      status 0x00 handle 68
      interval 12.50ms, latency 125.00ms, superv. timeout 20500.00ms

Looking forward your input.

@ 2015-11-20  8:17     ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2015-11-20  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prabhu Chawandi; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Prabhu,

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 6:52 AM, Prabhu Chawandi <foss.chaws@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luiz,
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz
> <luiz.dentz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Prabhu,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Prabhu Chawandi <foss.chaws@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>>   In My bluetooth Smart Keyboard sometimes though connection is
>>> established key presses were not being received by application. I
>>> tried running 'evtest' /dev/input/eventX node was not created when the
>>> issue was seen. After some debug I found the Report Maps were not
>>> shared. [i dint see the log when run bluetoothd -d
>>>
>>> 1. Is it necessary to share report map all the time system is reboot ?
>>> 2. is the Report map not cached ? or Cached which system failed to pick ?
>>
>> The report map is lost every time you restart bluetoothd, that is
>> because we only cache attribute handles but not theirs values since it
>> would be way too expensive the read and store everything, so what
>> happens is that during the first time you connect to a HoG peripheral
>> bluetoothd will attempt to read the report map and create the input
>> device but perhaps there is something causing a problem in your case.
>>
>>> Please let me know your views.
>>>
>>> many thanks,
>>> Prabhu Chawandi
>>> --
>>

>> --
>> Luiz Augusto von Dentz
>
> I went through the hcidump
>
> I saw multiple connection and disconnection sequence. In the hcidump
> its saying connection timed out[not sure about the reason]
>
> When disconnection  happens
> < ACL data: handle 68 flags 0x00 dlen 11
>     ATT: Read By Type req (0x08)
>       start 0x0011, end 0x0030
>       type-uuid 0x2803
>> HCI Event: Disconn Complete (0x05) plen 4
>     status 0x00 handle 68 reason 0x08
>     Reason: Connection Timeout

This is probably why it doesn't work, there is a timeout before the
discovery completes, very likely either the local controller or the
remote device is not working properly.

> Supervisory timeout in peripheral is 20.5 Seconds is it not fine ?
> Please let me know is there any parameter I need to configure
> [timeouts] for me ?
>
> After some attempts connection is successful, but I see no report map
> is requested by bluez.
>
> < HCI Command: LE Connection Update (0x08|0x0013) plen 14
>> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
>     LE Connection Update (0x08|0x0013) status 0x00 ncmd 0
>> HCI Event: Number of Completed Packets (0x13) plen 5
>     handle 68 packets 1
>> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
>     Unknown (0x00|0x0000) status 0x00 ncmd 1
>> HCI Event: LE Meta Event (0x3e) plen 10
>     LE Connection Update Complete
>       status 0x00 handle 68
>       interval 12.50ms, latency 125.00ms, superv. timeout 20500.00ms

What version of BlueZ are you running? Can you disclose what device is
it that you are trying to make it work?

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

* Re: HoG: Report Map Sharing is not Happening all the time.
@ 2015-11-20 11:52       ` Prabhu Chawandi
From: Prabhu Chawandi @ 2015-11-20 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Luiz,

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz
<luiz.dentz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Prabhu,
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 6:52 AM, Prabhu Chawandi <foss.chaws@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Luiz,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz
>> <luiz.dentz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Prabhu,

>>> The report map is lost every time you restart bluetoothd, that is
>>> because we only cache attribute handles but not theirs values since it
>>> would be way too expensive the read and store everything, so what
>>> happens is that during the first time you connect to a HoG peripheral
>>> bluetoothd will attempt to read the report map and create the input
>>> device but perhaps there is something causing a problem in your case.

>>> --
>>> Luiz Augusto von Dentz
>>
>> I went through the hcidump
>>
>> I saw multiple connection and disconnection sequence. In the hcidump
>> its saying connection timed out[not sure about the reason]
>>
>> When disconnection  happens
>> < ACL data: handle 68 flags 0x00 dlen 11
>>     ATT: Read By Type req (0x08)
>>       start 0x0011, end 0x0030
>>       type-uuid 0x2803
>>> HCI Event: Disconn Complete (0x05) plen 4
>>     status 0x00 handle 68 reason 0x08
>>     Reason: Connection Timeout
>
> This is probably why it doesn't work, there is a timeout before the
> discovery completes, very likely either the local controller or the
> remote device is not working properly.
>

>> Supervisory timeout in peripheral is 20.5 Seconds is it not fine ?
>> Please let me know is there any parameter I need to configure
>> [timeouts] for me ?
>>
>> After some attempts connection is successful, but I see no report map
>> is requested by bluez.
>>
>> < HCI Command: LE Connection Update (0x08|0x0013) plen 14
>>> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
>>     LE Connection Update (0x08|0x0013) status 0x00 ncmd 0
>>> HCI Event: Number of Completed Packets (0x13) plen 5
>>     handle 68 packets 1
>>> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
>>     Unknown (0x00|0x0000) status 0x00 ncmd 1
>>> HCI Event: LE Meta Event (0x3e) plen 10
>>     LE Connection Update Complete
>>       status 0x00 handle 68
>>       interval 12.50ms, latency 125.00ms, superv. timeout 20500.00ms
>
> What version of BlueZ are you running? Can you disclose what device is
> it that you are trying to make it work?
>

> --
> Luiz Augusto von Dentz

  I recently bought CSR uEnergy kit [CSR 8010] for my self study of
BLE, which has touch attached. So  I made it composite device - touch
pad, kbd and consumer.
First time paring and connection is perfect. But when reboot and try
to connect i see multiple disconnection and one final attempt will
succeed.
I tried with CSR and trendnet controllers, still I see the above
connection timeout issue. I even tried making it uidevice [touch pad
only, consumer only] still I saw it.  So I thought I might need to
configure connection timeout. I did the same on my kit from 8 second
to 20.5 seconds still I saw it ?
Could you please tell me what might be going wrong ? Where can I
change the connection timeout in bluez ?

I am using Bluez-5.35. Looking forward for your inputs on it.