* NV25 doesn't draw most icons
@ 2014-08-07 12:30 Pavel Roskin
       [not found] ` <20140807083032.oo6ofuepycoosgk8-cebfxv-2RFepEojUI3Rd1RZctBqVdHuzzzSOjJt@public.gmane.org>
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2014-08-07 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Hello!

I've installed Fedora 20 Mate i386 on an old system with GeForce4 Ti
4200 AGP (NV25) and I see significant visual defects. Many icons are
not shown. They can reappear if they are selected of the mouse goes
over them. Screenshot:
http://red-bean.com/proski/nv25/screenshot.png

All entries on the left should have icons, but only two have them.

The problem goes away I create a file /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf containing
"options nouveau noaccel=1", rebuild initrd and reboot.

I compiled Linux kernel 3.16 and I see exactly the same problem. .config:
http://red-bean.com/proski/nv25/kernel.config

I tried opening many tabs with flash based videos in Firefox and got a
hang. At first, the mouse worked, I was able to switch to the console
with Ctrl-Alt-F2, but when I switched back to X, the system was
totally unresponsive and I had to power cycle it. The kernel log for
3.16:
http://red-bean.com/proski/nv25/dmesg

The output of "lspci -nnvvvxxx":
http://red-bean.com/proski/nv25/lspci-nnvvvxxx

Fedora 20 is fully up-to-date. MATE appears to be most affected, but
I've also seen incorrectly drawn checkboxes in LDXE on that system.

I'm ready to donate that video card to the project if anyone is interested.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: NV25 doesn't draw most icons
       [not found] ` <20140807083032.oo6ofuepycoosgk8-cebfxv-2RFepEojUI3Rd1RZctBqVdHuzzzSOjJt@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-08-07 17:16   ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]     ` <CAKb7UvgNsXcWh=cS=m-PxOYJvCyaVycXGHyETTsYU3vXdM8rWA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2014-08-07 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Pavel Roskin <proski-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've installed Fedora 20 Mate i386 on an old system with GeForce4 Ti 4200
> AGP (NV25) and I see significant visual defects. Many icons are not shown.
> They can reappear if they are selected of the mouse goes over them.
> Screenshot:
> http://red-bean.com/proski/nv25/screenshot.png
>
> All entries on the left should have icons, but only two have them.

It is most likely that this is the same issue as a bunch of people
have reported on NV18. As of yet, it has not been tracked down. I
recently grabbed a NV18 card, but haven't had time to try to reproduce
the issue. This has something to do with transparency use, I think.

  -ilia

@ 2014-08-07 19:40       ` Pavel Roskin
       [not found]         ` <20140807154009.pqa40ggggcgsk040-cebfxv-2RFepEojUI3Rd1RZctBqVdHuzzzSOjJt@public.gmane.org>
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2014-08-07 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Quoting Ilia Mirkin <imirkin-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Pavel Roskin <proski-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I've installed Fedora 20 Mate i386 on an old system with GeForce4 Ti 4200
>> AGP (NV25) and I see significant visual defects. Many icons are not shown.
>> They can reappear if they are selected of the mouse goes over them.
>> Screenshot:
>> http://red-bean.com/proski/nv25/screenshot.png
>>
>> All entries on the left should have icons, but only two have them.
>
> It is most likely that this is the same issue as a bunch of people
> have reported on NV18. As of yet, it has not been tracked down. I
> recently grabbed a NV18 card, but haven't had time to try to reproduce
> the issue. This has something to do with transparency use, I think.

I agree, transparency may be an issue. Or perhaps the use of
transparency to implement mouse-over events and non-rectangular shape.

The MATE file manager icons and Gtk+ checkboxes react to the
mouse-over and they have visual problems. The LXDE filemanager icons
don't react to the mouse and they look fine.

The icons and the checkboxes are non-rectangular. The checkboxes have
rounded corners. I haven't seen visual problems with other Gtk+ widgets.

Pavel Roskin

@ 2014-08-10  6:30           ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]             ` <CAKb7UvgsZ2nojG3_RMH-L_VguPy3G1j3h7VckxZPwH9XWCPMKg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2014-08-10  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Pavel Roskin <proski-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Quoting Ilia Mirkin <imirkin-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Pavel Roskin <proski-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I've installed Fedora 20 Mate i386 on an old system with GeForce4 Ti 4200
>>> AGP (NV25) and I see significant visual defects. Many icons are not
>>> shown.
>>> They can reappear if they are selected of the mouse goes over them.
>>> Screenshot:
>>> http://red-bean.com/proski/nv25/screenshot.png
>>>
>>> All entries on the left should have icons, but only two have them.
>>

>> It is most likely that this is the same issue as a bunch of people
>> have reported on NV18. As of yet, it has not been tracked down. I
>> recently grabbed a NV18 card, but haven't had time to try to reproduce
>> the issue. This has something to do with transparency use, I think.
>

> I agree, transparency may be an issue. Or perhaps the use of transparency to
> implement mouse-over events and non-rectangular shape.

I just sent some patches to the list:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2014-August/018270.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2014-August/018271.html

Please see if these help your issue.

  -ilia

@ 2014-08-11 21:01               ` Pavel Roskin
       [not found]                 ` <20140811170113.twt77ow0ao8ocgsc-cebfxv-2RFepEojUI3Rd1RZctBqVdHuzzzSOjJt@public.gmane.org>
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2014-08-11 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Quoting Ilia Mirkin <imirkin-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:

> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2014-August/018270.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2014-August/018271.html
>
> Please see if these help your issue.

Thank you very much! I'll see that system in two weeks and I'll test
it with your patches.

@ 2014-08-11 21:06                   ` Ilia Mirkin
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2014-08-11 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Pavel Roskin <proski-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Quoting Ilia Mirkin <imirkin-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:
>
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2014-August/018270.html
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2014-August/018271.html
>>
>> Please see if these help your issue.
>

> Thank you very much! I'll see that system in two weeks and I'll test it with
> your patches.

These are now in xf86-video-nouveau git, and a NV18 user reported that
they fixed similar-sounding problems. NV2x uses the same acceleration
logic as NV1x, although I couldn't test directly, since NV2x only
exist as AGP boards (except the Xbox... heh).

  -ilia

@ 2014-08-28  1:24               ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2014-08-28  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Quoting Ilia Mirkin <imirkin-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:

> I just sent some patches to the list:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2014-August/018270.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2014-August/018271.html
>
> Please see if these help your issue.

Yes, the current xf86-video-nouveau fixes my issue completely, even
with the stock Fedora kernel! Thank you!

Sorry for delay, I was away from that ancient system.

Pavel Roskin