* Nouveau and VESA Adptive Sync (FreeSync)?
@ 2017-12-16  4:19 Paul Marks
       [not found] ` <CAHq9+ShSbPYUkYgjPGFpi8ht_FLdNcCye7a1So=NN_JRAaahgg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Marks @ 2017-12-16  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Is there any chance that nouveau will be able to support VESA Adaptive
Sync before Nvidia adds it to their proprietary drivers?  Or is this
effectively impossible without their cooperation?

I've looked, but haven't managed to find any previous discussion on this topic.

* Re: Nouveau and VESA Adptive Sync (FreeSync)?
       [not found] ` <CAHq9+ShSbPYUkYgjPGFpi8ht_FLdNcCye7a1So=NN_JRAaahgg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-12-16  4:29   ` Ilia Mirkin
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2017-12-16  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Marks; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

NVIDIA has been releasing some very partial documentation about their
display hw. You can see the latest iteration of those efforts at
http://download.nvidia.com/open-gpu-doc/Display-Class-Methods/2/ . I
don't know which, if any, NVIDIA chips support FreeSync (as opposed to
G-SYNC). Perhaps the Volta ones get it?

Either way, it'll require someone with the relevant hardware to do a
lot of experimation, and also figure out what the proper way to
surface up these capabilities to userspace is. It's not a small task.

  -ilia