* Is there a reason why variable expansion is not allowed in git?
@ 2022-04-29 12:30 Jack Adrian Zappa
From: Jack Adrian Zappa @ 2022-04-29 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was trying to make my .gitconfig cleaner and easier to maintain, and
I found that variable expansion isn't a thing.  Why is that?

A use case that this would be useful is having several commands
requiring the same parameters which are long and hard to read and
maintain, such as a regex.  You can see my question on SO here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/72005402/is-there-a-way-to-define-and-use-a-user-defined-variable-in-the-gitconfig-file

Although an answer was submitted, it is a very roundabout way to do
something that should be very simple.  There is the %(var) expansion
for paths available, so I would think that a similar simple text
expansion wouldn't be that difficult.  Perhaps by using curly braces
rather than parenthesis?

Is there a place where I could request this as a feature?

Cheers,

JAZ

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-04-29 12:30 UTC | newest]