* symlink.2 clarification of ENOENT
@ 2014-10-09 11:22 Jonny Grant
       [not found] ` <CAGc9EvcK9fkW+zmDvbQD00h57ZsJ6o4XX=ojM+MQ+jr46FbniA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Jonny Grant @ 2014-10-09 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kerrisk; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Michael

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/symlink.2.html

I saw that [linkpath] being the empty string "" also returns ENOENT. I
feel worth clariying:

Current text:
"ENOENT A directory component in linkpath does not exist or is a
              dangling symbolic link, or target is the empty string."

Proposed new text:
"ENOENT target or linkpath are empty strings. Or a directory component
in linkpath does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link."

I tested with
    result = symlink("", NULL);
    printf("symlink: '' NULL: %d, %d, '%s'\n", result, errno, strerror(errno));

Output:
symlink: '' NULL: -1, 2, 'No such file or directory'

--
Jonny  jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org

* Re: symlink.2 clarification of ENOENT
       [not found] ` <CAGc9EvcK9fkW+zmDvbQD00h57ZsJ6o4XX=ojM+MQ+jr46FbniA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-04-12  7:57   ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2015-04-12  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonny Grant; +Cc: linux-man

Hello Jonny,

On 9 October 2014 at 13:22, Jonny Grant <jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/symlink.2.html
>
> I saw that [linkpath] being the empty string "" also returns ENOENT. I
> feel worth clariying:
>
> Current text:
> "ENOENT A directory component in linkpath does not exist or is a
>               dangling symbolic link, or target is the empty string."
>
> Proposed new text:
> "ENOENT target or linkpath are empty strings. Or a directory component
> in linkpath does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link."

Thanks. Yes, POSIX actually explicitly notes that ENOENT occurs if the
second argument is an empty string. I added this point to the man
page.

Cheers,

Michael