* [feature request] find git commit log before rebase
@ 2016-05-26 16:55 ryenus
       [not found] ` <CA+xP2SYXUCfLHcyfQu6SLhZ6jRptp3gK0myatKVUxyP-2B=dPQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: ryenus @ 2016-05-26 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Assuming I have branches master (m), and a side branch (b), with a
history tree like below:

m0 --- m1 -- m2 -- m3 -- m4 --- master (m)
        \          /      \
        b1 ------ b2       b3 -- b4 -- branch (b) (HEAD)

      (tag:POINT_BEFORE_REBASE)

The history of branch b is can be described as:

1. branch b is forked at point of m1
2. branch b is merged to master into m3,
3. branch b then is rebased (fast-forward) from b2 to m4
4. then branch b started its new life as b3 b4 after rebase

With the following command: I can find b3 and b4 since last fork-point

    git log --oneline $(git merge-base --fork-point master)..b

But how to find out commits b1 b2, given the fact that b2 is the point
before rebase?

I understand it can be achieved via:

    git log --oneline m2..b2

That's because I know b2 is the point before rebase,
and m2 is another child of the subsequent merge commit m3

I wonder how to do this with an simple (enough) command without me
looking through the history and find b2 and m2 manually?

Thanks!

* Re: [feature request] find git commit log before rebase
@ 2016-05-26 20:37 ` Sebastian Staudt
       [not found] ` <CA+xP2SYXUCfLHcyfQu6SLhZ6jRptp3gK0myatKVUxyP-2B=dPQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Sebastian Staudt @ 2016-05-26 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ryenus; +Cc: git

Hi.

I think what you want is `git reflog` (http://git-scm.com/man/reflog).

git reflog b

Will tell you the commits b pointed to in the past.

Best regards,
    Sebastian

@ 2016-05-27  2:57   ` ryenus
From: ryenus @ 2016-05-27  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Staudt; +Cc: git

Indeed, specifying the branch name does the trick
and this works with `git reflog` and/or `git log --walk-reflogs`

Thank you very much!