* Open source audio project for Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2020-01-09 12:05 Stefano Zambon
From: Stefano Zambon @ 2020-01-09 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,

we just finalized to release on Github the full source code for our
professional audio distribution based on Xenomai:
https://github.com/elk-audio

This is somehow similar to the Bela project for Beaglebone which has been
around for quite a while and also completely open sourced:
https://github.com/BelaPlatform

I thought to mention it here since it is quite a complete example for
Xenomai on the RPi, including a DMA-capable I2S driver, a sensor driver
(through SPI) that handles both GPIOs and ADCs, multicore support in both
primary and secondary context, C++17 Xenomai applications, CMake-based
projects, Yocto/Openembedded configuration.

We are aware that some parts deviate a little bit from Xenomai's standard
guidelines, mostly in userspace we don't use the wrapper magic to
automatically replace POSIX calls with Cobalt alternatives as we prefer
explicit use of Cobalt functions.

In order to run the software, you would need a custom Hat for the RPi but
it shouldn't be hard to customize the drivers for other audio codecs. I
hope this won't sound like shameless self-promotion, we make very little
money on the Hardware and the full HW project is open-sourced, including
the production files so literally anyone can print the boards on its own.

Cheers,
Stefano

* Re: Open source audio project for Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2020-01-09 15:36 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-01-09 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Zambon, xenomai

Hi Stefano,

On 09.01.20 13:05, Stefano Zambon via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we just finalized to release on Github the full source code for our
> professional audio distribution based on Xenomai:
> https://github.com/elk-audio
>
> This is somehow similar to the Bela project for Beaglebone which has been
> around for quite a while and also completely open sourced:
> https://github.com/BelaPlatform
>
> I thought to mention it here since it is quite a complete example for
> Xenomai on the RPi, including a DMA-capable I2S driver, a sensor driver
> (through SPI) that handles both GPIOs and ADCs, multicore support in both
> primary and secondary context, C++17 Xenomai applications, CMake-based
> projects, Yocto/Openembedded configuration.
>
> We are aware that some parts deviate a little bit from Xenomai's standard
> guidelines, mostly in userspace we don't use the wrapper magic to
> automatically replace POSIX calls with Cobalt alternatives as we prefer
> explicit use of Cobalt functions.
>
> In order to run the software, you would need a custom Hat for the RPi but
> it shouldn't be hard to customize the drivers for other audio codecs. I
> hope this won't sound like shameless self-promotion, we make very little
> money on the Hardware and the full HW project is open-sourced, including
> the production files so literally anyone can print the boards on its own.
>
> Cheers,
> Stefano

Thanks for sharing, looks like a really nice user story! Do you consider
presenting it at some community event(s) as well?

Jan

* Re: Open source audio project for Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2020-01-09 16:06   ` Stefano Zambon
From: Stefano Zambon @ 2020-01-09 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi Jan,

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 at 16:36, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing, looks like a really nice user story! Do you consider
> presenting it at some community event(s) as well?

Thanks!
We presented it at audio-focused events like the Audio Developer Conference
(ADC 2019) in London last November, where we had a workshop and a short
talk.

This year we have already other community events planned but always in the
audio/music world. If you can suggest some more generic events, we can
consider going there depending on timing & other factors.

@ 2020-01-13 17:08     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-01-13 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Zambon, xenomai

On 09.01.20 17:06, Stefano Zambon via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 at 16:36, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for sharing, looks like a really nice user story! Do you consider
>> presenting it at some community event(s) as well?
>

> Thanks!
> We presented it at audio-focused events like the Audio Developer Conference
> (ADC 2019) in London last November, where we had a workshop and a short
> talk.
>
> This year we have already other community events planned but always in the
> audio/music world. If you can suggest some more generic events, we can
> consider going there depending on timing & other factors.

A good candidate can be one of the Embedded Linux Conferences, see
https://events.linuxfoundation.org/embedded-linux-conference-north-america,
https://events.linuxfoundation.org/embedded-linux-conference-europe.

There is also the possibility that we will have some Xenomai meetup(s)
this year, though all the details are not yet defined.

Jan