* I want to remove my current kernel after upgradtion of new kernel
@ 2015-03-03 11:42 Anurudh Tiwari
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Anurudh Tiwari @ 2015-03-03 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

   I am upgrading my machine with new version of os which have newer
version of the kernel.
I have to remove my current kernel(which is going to be old kernel in next
reboot) after up-gradation because i don't want to get prompt to choose the
kernel at booting time.

I tried few methods:
   1 . Try to remove using command ( sudo apt-get purge uname -r )
    -- but after it gives a pop up (dialog box) to select yes or no.(But i
don't to do that because system is automated, user should not interact with
system).

My intention is remove to old kernel at very first time when it reboot(so
no prompt will show to select the kernel by grub)..

Please if you have any best solution for this. please share.

Thanks
Anurudh
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* I want to remove my current kernel after upgradtion of new kernel
@ 2015-03-03 11:48 ` Daniel Lockyer
From: Daniel Lockyer @ 2015-03-03 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 05:12:44PM +0530, Anurudh Tiwari wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I am upgrading my machine with new version of os which have newer
> version of the kernel.
> I have to remove my current kernel(which is going to be old kernel in next
> reboot) after up-gradation because i don't want to get prompt to choose the
> kernel at booting time.
>
> I tried few methods:
>    1 . Try to remove using command ( sudo apt-get purge uname -r )
>     -- but after it gives a pop up (dialog box) to select yes or no.(But i
> don't to do that because system is automated, user should not interact with
> system).
>
> My intention is remove to old kernel at very first time when it reboot(so
> no prompt will show to select the kernel by grub)..
>
> Please if you have any best solution for this. please share.
>
> Thanks
> Anurudh

I believe you can do `apt-get -y ...` which will confirm any prompts that the user would normally be given.

Daniel

* I want to remove my current kernel after upgradtion of new kernel
@ 2015-03-03 11:52 ` Malte Vesper
From: Malte Vesper @ 2015-03-03 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Wrong list I guess, try askubuntu.com next

or maybe google, you know second result for "linux uninstall kernel" has
your answers...

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-redhat-linux-delete-kernel-command/

You have a debian/ubuntu like system.

Also you should always keep an old kernel in case you notice something
broken on your new kernel.

@ 2015-03-03 12:00   ` Anurudh Tiwari
From: Anurudh Tiwari @ 2015-03-03 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ Denial : I have tried with -y option. it exempt me from console
confirmation but not from pop-up.

@Malte : I am not using ubuntu. Its a Debian based system.

@ 2015-03-03 12:12     ` Malte Vesper
From: Malte Vesper @ 2015-03-03 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Still the link applies to debian as well, look for:

".deb based distro - Debian or Ubuntu Linux"

And i believe the manual steps at the bottom apply to linux in general

@ 2015-03-03 13:03 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2015-03-03 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:12:44 +0530, Anurudh Tiwari said:

> I have to remove my current kernel(which is going to be old kernel in next
> reboot) after up-gradation because i don't want to get prompt to choose the
> kernel at booting time.

Protip:

You *really* want to keep at least one extra known-working kernel on your /boot
just in case you find a bug in the one you installed. If you don't like getting
prompted, set up grub or grub2 or whatever to boot a default kernel, with a
timeout of 1 second or so, so that if you ignore it, it boots into your default
kernel, but if things go sideways you can boot the old kernel.

And remember - it doesn't have to be a *kernel* bug - if  something decidess to
rebuild your initrd/initramfs, and botches it, you're going to havea bad time
at the next reboot. So you really want a known-bootable kernel/initrd pair
or two on /boot just in case...

* I want to remove my current kernel after upgradtion of new kernel
@ 2015-03-03 13:11       ` adheer chandravanshi
From: adheer chandravanshi @ 2015-03-03 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Anurudh,

In case your only concern is that you should not wait to make a choice of kernel at boot time then you can change the grub.conf file.

In case of older grub, on installing the new kernel the boot entry for it will be on the top.
So make "default=0" and "timeout=0" in your grub.conf file.

In case of grub-2,
You may need to do some more work through grub config files in /etc and then building new grub.cfg file through grub2-mkconfig command.

Another work-around is to remove all the initrd, System.map and vmlinuz files of unwanted kernels from the /boot location and rebuild grub.conf.

Hope this helps!

--
Adheer