* how to configure printk() in 2.6 kernel
@ 2011-08-29 15:46 Vaibhav Jain
From: Vaibhav Jain @ 2011-08-29 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,
Can somebody please tell me how to configure
printk() in fedora 15 ? All the articles I have seen on web refer to the
file
/etc/syslog.conf. But there is no such file on my system. I guess this has
changed in the
2.6 kernel.

Thanks
Vaibhav Jain
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* how to configure printk() in 2.6 kernel
@ 2011-08-29 22:24 ` Ramesh.P
From: Ramesh.P @ 2011-08-29 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Vaibhav,

Try /etc/rsyslog.conf. However you should be using
/proc/sys/kernel/printk to really configure printk.

Hope this helps,
Ramesh

@ 2011-08-29 23:38   ` Vaibhav Jain
From: Vaibhav Jain @ 2011-08-29 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Ramesh.P <rameshpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Vaibhav,
>
> Try /etc/rsyslog.conf. However you should be using
> /proc/sys/kernel/printk to really configure printk.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Ramesh
>
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Vaibhav Jain <vjoss197@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Can somebody please tell me how to configure
> > printk() in fedora 15 ? All the articles I have seen on web refer to the
> > file
> > /etc/syslog.conf. But there is no such file on my system. I guess this
> has
> > changed in the
> > 2.6 kernel.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Vaibhav Jain

Hi Ramesh,

As I mentioned /etc/syslog.conf is not there on my system. Could you please
tell me if the name has changed for the file in 2.6 kernel ? Also, does
/proc/sys/kernel/printk provides for the same level of control ?

@ 2011-08-30  4:18     ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-08-30  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 06:38, Vaibhav Jain <vjoss197@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ramesh,
>
> As I mentioned /etc/syslog.conf is not there on my system.

maybe because Fedora now use rsyslog or syslog-ng. In Mint, by default
it uses rsyslog and the configuration file is located at
/etc/rsyslog.conf

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* how to configure printk() in 2.6 kernel
@ 2011-08-30 19:25     ` Jonathan Neuschäfer
From: Jonathan Neuschäfer @ 2011-08-30 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 04:38:03PM -0700, Vaibhav Jain wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Ramesh.P <rameshpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Vaibhav,
> >
> > Try /etc/rsyslog.conf. However you should be using
> > /proc/sys/kernel/printk to really configure printk.

[snip]

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> As I mentioned /etc/syslog.conf is not there on my system. Could you please
> tell me if the name has changed for the file in 2.6 kernel ? Also, does
> /proc/sys/kernel/printk provides for the same level of control ?

Syslog is a user space program, that collects the kernel messages.
So if you don't have /etc/syslog.conf on your system, it likely just
means that you don't have a standard installation of the syslog program,
which can have different reasons. AFAIK, syslog has been replaced by
rsyslog or syslog-ng on modern desktop linux distros.

BTW, Ramesh told you to try /etc/rsyslog.conf (note the 'r'), not
/etc/syslog.conf.

HTH,
	Jonathan Neusch?fer

* how to configure printk() in 2.6 kernel
@ 2011-08-31 20:07       ` Vaibhav Jain
From: Vaibhav Jain @ 2011-08-31 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Jonathan Neusch?fer <j.neuschaefer@gmx.net
> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 04:38:03PM -0700, Vaibhav Jain wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Ramesh.P <rameshpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Vaibhav,
> > >
> > > Try /etc/rsyslog.conf. However you should be using
> > > /proc/sys/kernel/printk to really configure printk.
> > >
> [snip]
> >
> > Hi Ramesh,
> >
> > As I mentioned /etc/syslog.conf is not there on my system. Could you
> please
> > tell me if the name has changed for the file in 2.6 kernel ? Also, does
> > /proc/sys/kernel/printk provides for the same level of control ?
>
> Syslog is a user space program, that collects the kernel messages.
> So if you don't have /etc/syslog.conf on your system, it likely just
> means that you don't have a standard installation of the syslog program,
> which can have different reasons. AFAIK, syslog has been replaced by
> rsyslog or syslog-ng on modern desktop linux distros.
>
> BTW, Ramesh told you to try /etc/rsyslog.conf (note the 'r'), not
> /etc/syslog.conf.
>
> HTH,
>        Jonathan Neusch?fer

 Hi,

Thanks for reply! I found the rsyslog.conf on my system. But
I am finding it hard to configure it. Actually I made some changes but they
are not working.
I made some changes to the kernel and wanted that they appear at either the
console or
some other file. However the changes don't work.
I tried adding the following  lines (one at a time)

kern.*              /dev/console

kern.*             <file in my home directory>

but on making these changes other kernel messages also stop showing up.

Can you please give me some idea as to why this might happen ?

@ 2011-08-31 20:29         ` Jeff Haran
From: Jeff Haran @ 2011-08-31 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 04:38:03PM -0700, Vaibhav Jain wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Ramesh.P <rameshpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Vaibhav,
> >
> > Try /etc/rsyslog.conf. However you should be using
> > /proc/sys/kernel/printk to really configure printk.

[snip]

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> As I mentioned /etc/syslog.conf is not there on my system. Could you please
> tell me if the name has changed for the file in 2.6 kernel ? Also, does
> /proc/sys/kernel/printk provides for the same level of control ?

Syslog is a user space program, that collects the kernel messages.
So if you don't have /etc/syslog.conf on your system, it likely just
means that you don't have a standard installation of the syslog program,
which can have different reasons. AFAIK, syslog has been replaced by
rsyslog or syslog-ng on modern desktop linux distros.

BTW, Ramesh told you to try /etc/rsyslog.conf (note the 'r'), not
/etc/syslog.conf.

HTH,
       Jonathan Neusch?fer

Hi,

Thanks for reply! I found the rsyslog.conf on my system. But

I am finding it hard to configure it. Actually I made some changes but they are not working.

I made some changes to the kernel and wanted that they appear at either the console or

some other file. However the changes don't work.

I tried adding the following  lines (one at a time)

kern.*              /dev/console

kern.*             <file in my home directory>

but on making these changes other kernel messages also stop showing up.

Can you please give me some idea as to why this might happen ?

-Thanks

Vaibhav Jain

See if this helps:

echo 7 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

Jeff Haran

@ 2011-08-31 21:22           ` Vaibhav Jain
From: Vaibhav Jain @ 2011-08-31 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks but didn't help :(
My configurations in the rsyslog.conf file are still not working.

I added the line

kern.*         <filename in my home dir>

but the file remains empty and teh kernel messages are not there even in the
/var/log/messages file.

Thanks
Vaibhav Jain

@ 2011-08-31 21:35             ` Mirco Tischler
From: Mirco Tischler @ 2011-08-31 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

2011/8/31 Vaibhav Jain <vjoss197@gmail.com>:
> Thanks but didn't help :(
> My configurations in the rsyslog.conf file are still not working.
>
> I added the line
>
> kern.*???????? <filename in my home dir>
>
> but the file remains empty and teh kernel messages are not there even in the
> /var/log/messages file.
>
> Thanks
> Vaibhav Jain
>

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Jeff Haran <jharan@bytemobile.com> wrote:

To me it looks like rsyslog is trying to do the right thing but can't
write to the target file. Maybe selinux is preventing it from doing
so?

Mirco