* Question regarding crypto scatterlists / testmgr
@ 2019-04-17 19:51 Pascal Van Leeuwen
From: Pascal Van Leeuwen @ 2019-04-17 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-crypto, Eric Biggers, Herbert Xu

Hi,

I'm trying to fix the inside-secure driver to pass all testmgr
tests and I have one final issue remaining with the AEAD ciphers.
As it was not clear at all what the exact problem was, I spent
some time reverse engineering testmgr and I got the distinct
impression that it is using scatter particles that cross page
boundaries. On purpose, even.

While the inside-secure driver is built on the premise that
scatter particles are continuous in device space. As I can't
think of any reason why you would want to scatter/gather other
than to handle virtual-to-physical address translation ...
In any case, this should affect all other other operations as
well, but maybe those just got "lucky" by getting particles
that were still contiguous in device space, despite the page
crossing (to *really* verify this, you would have to fully
randomize your page allocation!)

Anyway, assuming that I *should* be able to handle particles
that are *not* contiguous in device space, then there should
probably already exist some function in the kernel API that
converts a scatterlist with non-contiguous particles into a
scatterlist with contiguous particles, taking into account the
presence of an IOMMU? Considering pretty much every device
driver would need to do that?
Does anyone know which function(s) to use for that?

Regards,
Pascal van Leeuwen
Silicon IP Architect, Multi-Protocol Engines @ Inside Secure