From: Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com>
To: clang-built-linux <llvm@lists.linux.dev>
Cc: clang-built-linux <clang-built-linux@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 11:46:39 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi folks,
We established the newer mailing list <llvm@lists.linux.dev> a few
years ago with archives available at https://lore.kernel.org/llvm/.

This is in preference to our previous mailing list
<clang-built-linux@googlegroups.com> with archives available at
https://groups.google.com/g/clang-built-linux.

These can both be found on our homepage
<https://clangbuiltlinux.github.io/>.  While it was our intent to
deprecate the old list (and still is), we have not yet taken any
action to actually block new posts on the old one.

RFC but my plan is to change the following settings on the old google group:
1. Who can post: anyone on the web -> group owners
2. Who can contact group owners: anyone on the web -> group members
3. Message moderation: no moderation -> moderate all
4. New member restrictions: no restrictions -> new members cannot post
5. Rejected message notification: off -> on
6. Include default rejected message response: unchecked -> checked
with link to new ML as message

Then update our homepage to note that the archive for the old ML is
explicitly deprecated.

I think that will prevent further confusion, and sorry that I haven't
taken these steps sooner!

Thoughts?

Another outstanding issue is that it doesn't seem like there's
available tools for exporting the old google groups archive, AFAIK.  I
would love to be corrected though.

~Nick Desaulniers