* [ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP
@ 2011-08-05  6:48 sami ahokas
From: sami ahokas @ 2011-08-05  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

I don't know if my issue is related to ath9k driver or hostapd so I'm
sending this to both lists. My problem is following:

When using D-link dwa-556 (Atheros AR5418 on board) as an AP, RX
direction seems to be deaf. AP sends beacons but it doesn't recognize
probe requests sent by the stations. I can verify that stations really
send probe requests because I have AirMagnet wifi analyzer in place.
So, I can be sure that rx side has problems.

Then I change D-links role to station and make a connection to another
AP, say AP2. Station role works fine, I can ping the AP2. If I then
change D-links role back to AP it starts to work. This is strange to
me. How come use of station mode gets ap mode to work?

If I reboot my board after this, AP role works right from the start.
But if I toggle the power of my board, AP mode gets broken again. What
could cause this kind of behavior? Is there something in AR5418
registers that is left uninitialized in AP mode in the driver or
hostapd?

I'm using Linux kernel version 2.6.33 on powerpc platform. Hostapd
version is 0.7.3 and wpa_supplicant is 0.7.3 too.

I really appreciate any help.

Sami

* [ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP
@ 2011-08-06  2:01 ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2011-08-06  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 09:48:42 +0300
sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if my issue is related to ath9k driver or hostapd so I'm
> sending this to both lists.
> If I reboot my board after this, AP role works right from the start.
> But if I toggle the power of my board, AP mode gets broken again. What
> could cause this kind of behavior? Is there something in AR5418
> registers that is left uninitialized in AP mode in the driver or
> hostapd?

That's clearly something in the hardware, so hostapd is irrelevant here.

> I'm using Linux kernel version 2.6.33 on powerpc platform. Hostapd
> version is 0.7.3 and wpa_supplicant is 0.7.3 too.

The first thing should be to test the card with the latest kernel or
with compat-wireless.  For Linux wireless drivers, 2.6.33 is stone
age :)

You can also check the card with MadWifi trunk snapshot.  If that works
fine, chances are that ath9k does something wrong, otherwise I would
suspect the hardware.

Pavel Roskin

* [ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP
@ 2011-08-09  5:45   ` sami ahokas
From: sami ahokas @ 2011-08-09  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

2011/8/6 Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>:
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 09:48:42 +0300
> sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if my issue is related to ath9k driver or hostapd so I'm
>> sending this to both lists.
>> If I reboot my board after this, AP role works right from the start.
>> But if I toggle the power of my board, AP mode gets broken again. What
>> could cause this kind of behavior? Is there something in AR5418
>> registers that is left uninitialized in AP mode in the driver or
>> hostapd?
>
> That's clearly something in the hardware, so hostapd is irrelevant here.
>
>> I'm using Linux kernel version 2.6.33 on powerpc platform. Hostapd
>> version is 0.7.3 and wpa_supplicant is 0.7.3 too.
>
> The first thing should be to test the card with the latest kernel or
> with compat-wireless. ?For Linux wireless drivers, 2.6.33 is stone
> age :)
>
> You can also check the card with MadWifi trunk snapshot. ?If that works
> fine, chances are that ath9k does something wrong, otherwise I would
> suspect the hardware.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I chose to try the MadWifi driver, but now I'm
not able to set interface to master mode. Here is what hostapd gives
me when I try start it:

root at samia:~# hostapd -B -P /var/run/hostapd.pid /var/run/wlan_ap.conf
Configuration file: /var/run/wlan_ap.conf
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Invalid argument
Could not set interface to master mode!
madwifi driver initialization failed.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=6 eloop_data=0x106677a0 user_data=(nil)
handler=0x100338a4

Some ioctl command seems to be the problem. Could there be something
missing from my environment? I attach my hostapd config file here too:

cat /var/run/wlan_ap.conf
interface=ath0
bridge=br0
driver=madwifi
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
country_code=FI
beacon_int=100
dtim_period=2
max_num_sta=255
wmm_enabled=0
rts_threshold=2347
fragm_threshold=2346
macaddr_acl=0
hw_mode=g
channel=4
eapol_version=2
ssid=test_wlan
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
auth_algs=1
wpa=1
wpa_passphrase=xyxyxyxyxyxyxy
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP

I haven't been using MadWifi driver before so this might be some
stupid newbie configuration mistake. But if someone could steer me to
right direction I would appreciate that.

Sami

* [ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP
@ 2011-08-09 12:27     ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2011-08-09 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Quoting sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com>:

> Thanks for your reply. I chose to try the MadWifi driver, but now I'm
> not able to set interface to master mode.

When loading the module, use "modprobe ath_pci autocreate=ap"

That will create an interface in AP mode.  It's easy to get used to
the niceties of the kernel drivers that can change the mode of an
existing interface.

Pavel Roskin

* [ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP
@ 2011-08-10  6:30       ` sami ahokas
From: sami ahokas @ 2011-08-10  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

2011/8/9 Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>:
> Quoting sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com>:
>
>> Thanks for your reply. I chose to try the MadWifi driver, but now I'm
>> not able to set interface to master mode.
>
> When loading the module, use "modprobe ath_pci autocreate=ap"
>
> That will create an interface in AP mode. ?It's easy to get used to the
> niceties of the kernel drivers that can change the mode of an existing
> interface.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin

Thanks again for your help. But now I have next problem and quick
googling didn't give me any answers. Here is what I get from hostapd:

ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Invalid argument
ath0: DRIVER Error enabling WPA/802.1X!
IEEE 802.1X initialization failed.
ath0: Unable to setup interface.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory

Why is it complaining about 802.1X? My setup is using WPA-PSK, not
802.1X. Do I miss some modules or have I compiled hostapd or madwifi
driver with wrong parameters?

Sami

* [ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP
@ 2011-08-10 11:41         ` sami ahokas
From: sami ahokas @ 2011-08-10 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

2011/8/10 sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com>:
> 2011/8/9 Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>:
>> Quoting sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Thanks for your reply. I chose to try the MadWifi driver, but now I'm
>>> not able to set interface to master mode.
>>
>> When loading the module, use "modprobe ath_pci autocreate=ap"
>>
>> That will create an interface in AP mode. ?It's easy to get used to the
>> niceties of the kernel drivers that can change the mode of an existing
>> interface.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Pavel Roskin
>>

> Thanks again for your help. But now I have next problem and quick
> googling didn't give me any answers. Here is what I get from hostapd:
>
> ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Invalid argument
> ath0: DRIVER Error enabling WPA/802.1X!
> IEEE 802.1X initialization failed.
> ath0: Unable to setup interface.
> rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
>
> Why is it complaining about 802.1X? My setup is using WPA-PSK, not
> 802.1X. Do I miss some modules or have I compiled hostapd or madwifi
> driver with wrong parameters?
>
> Sami

I got that one fixed myself. Some of the kernel modules wasn't copied
to my target and therefore those errors. So I finally got hostapd
running but I got lot of messages about Stuck beacon:

wifi0: ath_bstuck_tasklet: Stuck beacon; resetting (beacon miss count: 11)

Have I understand correctly that this is a persistent bug that no one
has managed to solve? At least at madwifi project page there is a
story about stuck beacon problem that seems to be open.

Sami

* [ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP
@ 2011-08-10 22:11         ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2011-08-10 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:30:27 +0300
sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks again for your help. But now I have next problem and quick
> googling didn't give me any answers. Here is what I get from hostapd:
>
> ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Invalid argument

It looks like you are using some different driver on ath0.  Run

readlink /sys/class/net/ath0/device/driver

> ath0: DRIVER Error enabling WPA/802.1X!
> IEEE 802.1X initialization failed.
> ath0: Unable to setup interface.
> rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
>
> Why is it complaining about 802.1X? My setup is using WPA-PSK, not
> 802.1X. Do I miss some modules or have I compiled hostapd or madwifi
> driver with wrong parameters?

The message comes from driver_madwifi.c and can be easily improved, but
I don't see much point in that.  WPA was mentioned after all.

Pavel Roskin

* [ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP
@ 2011-08-19 12:13           ` sami ahokas
From: sami ahokas @ 2011-08-19 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

2011/8/11 Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:30:27 +0300
> sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks again for your help. But now I have next problem and quick
>> googling didn't give me any answers. Here is what I get from hostapd:
>>
>> ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Invalid argument
>
> It looks like you are using some different driver on ath0. ?Run
>
> readlink /sys/class/net/ath0/device/driver
>
>> ath0: DRIVER Error enabling WPA/802.1X!
>> IEEE 802.1X initialization failed.
>> ath0: Unable to setup interface.
>> rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
>>
>> Why is it complaining about 802.1X? My setup is using WPA-PSK, not
>> 802.1X. Do I miss some modules or have I compiled hostapd or madwifi
>> driver with wrong parameters?
>
> The message comes from driver_madwifi.c and can be easily improved, but
> I don't see much point in that. ?WPA was mentioned after all.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin

Hi,

I'm still struggling with this. I'm back to using ath9k driver. I have
several DWA-556 cards of which some works just fine, but some of them
are awful. I have enabled all possible debug features for ath9k driver
and I have noticed that there are a lot of GTT interrupts on those bad
boards. Can someone tell me what those interrupts are?

Also, with bad boards I get lot of following log messages:

kernel: ath: Reset ANI state opmode 3
kernel: ath: ANI parameters:
kernel: ath: ANI parameters:
kernel: ath: Reset ANI state opmode 3
kernel: ath: ANI parameters:
kernel: ath: ANI parameters:

What are those about?

regards,
Sami

* [ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP
@ 2011-08-19 13:16             ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-08-19 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM, sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/8/11 Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>:
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:30:27 +0300
>> sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks again for your help. But now I have next problem and quick
>>> googling didn't give me any answers. Here is what I get from hostapd:
>>>
>>> ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Invalid argument
>>
>> It looks like you are using some different driver on ath0. ?Run
>>
>> readlink /sys/class/net/ath0/device/driver
>>
>>> ath0: DRIVER Error enabling WPA/802.1X!
>>> IEEE 802.1X initialization failed.
>>> ath0: Unable to setup interface.
>>> rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> Why is it complaining about 802.1X? My setup is using WPA-PSK, not
>>> 802.1X. Do I miss some modules or have I compiled hostapd or madwifi
>>> driver with wrong parameters?
>>
>> The message comes from driver_madwifi.c and can be easily improved, but
>> I don't see much point in that. ?WPA was mentioned after all.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Pavel Roskin
>>

> Hi,
>
> I'm still struggling with this. I'm back to using ath9k driver. I have
> several DWA-556 cards of which some works just fine, but some of them
> are awful. I have enabled all possible debug features for ath9k driver
> and I have noticed that there are a lot of GTT interrupts on those bad
> boards. Can someone tell me what those interrupts are?

little bit of them may not be a harm, lots of them indicates tx frames
being stuck , could not be sent out.
as mentioned earlier please upgrade your kernel.

> Also, with bad boards I get lot of following log messages:
>
> kernel: ath: Reset ANI state opmode 3
> kernel: ath: ANI parameters:
> kernel: ath: ANI parameters:
> kernel: ath: Reset ANI state opmode 3
> kernel: ath: ANI parameters:
> kernel: ath: ANI parameters:
>
> What are those about?
>
> regards,
> Sami

shafi

* [ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP
@ 2011-08-30  6:32               ` sami ahokas
From: sami ahokas @ 2011-08-30  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

2011/8/19 Mohammed Shafi <shafi.wireless@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM, sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/8/11 Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>:

>>> It looks like you are using some different driver on ath0. ?Run
>>>
>>> readlink /sys/class/net/ath0/device/driver

>>> The message comes from driver_madwifi.c and can be easily improved, but
>>> I don't see much point in that. ?WPA was mentioned after all.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Pavel Roskin
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm still struggling with this. I'm back to using ath9k driver. I have
>> several DWA-556 cards of which some works just fine, but some of them
>> are awful. I have enabled all possible debug features for ath9k driver
>> and I have noticed that there are a lot of GTT interrupts on those bad
>> boards. Can someone tell me what those interrupts are?
>
> little bit of them may not be a harm, lots of them indicates tx frames
> being stuck , could not be sent out.
> as mentioned earlier please upgrade your kernel.

Ok, I have upgraded my kernel to 2.6.39 and it works somewhat better
than the old one. But, I'm still having problems with my AP. Many
times after power on, I get lots of GTT interrupts and things are not
working well. If I say "iw dev wlan0 survey dump" at that point, noise
value on channel I use is only -88-90 dBm, so there shouldn't be too
much noise on the used channel.

Also, even when things seems to be running ok (stations can connect
and transfer data), there are lot of errors (phy, underrun, crc). Is
that normal? My station is only one meter away from my AP.

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath9k/recv
CRC ERR :      26415
DECRYPT CRC ERR :          1
PHY ERR :     245603
MIC ERR :          0