* Linux Plumbers ACPI/PM, PCI Microconference
@ 2013-08-09 18:12 ` Myron Stowe
From: Myron Stowe @ 2013-08-09 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas.petazzoni, jgunthorpe, thierry.reding, swarren, linux,
	rob.herring, linux-arm-kernel, linux-pci, iommu, LKML,
	Yinghai Lu, mika.westerberg, Alex Williamson, Don Dutile, liuj97,
	Gu Zheng

Time is passing quickly and there are still a few topic areas that we
would like discussed during the microconference but still do not have
any proposals/knowledgable speakers for.

For the following people I'm specifically picking on: Are you going to
plumbers, would you be willing to cover the following areas?  If you
are not going, do you know someone who is and could cover?

Yinghai: host bridge hot-plug - what has been accomplished to date and
what still remains to be done?

Mika: Thunderbolt activities?

Jiang Liu, Gu Zheng: Would you be willing to cover your recent efforts
with PCI device (hot-plug) reference counting?

Russel, Rob, Stephen, Thomas, Jason, Thierry: ARM - especially any
PCI(e) ideosynchronicies along with ARM's IOMMU arch and how that
relates to PCI.

Alex Williamson: you want/need to cover any of the following - PCI
secondary bus resets; pci_is_pcie() - Not just for PCIe capabilities;
I/O port pci-sysfs resource files (fix or remove)?

Of course anyone else is free to propose something or sign up for
covering one of the proposed topics listed at
http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:pci_subsystem

The instructions for submitting proposals should be at:

http://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013/submitting-topic/

The Microconference link is at:

From: Myron Stowe @ 2013-08-09 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas.petazzoni-wi1+55ScJUtKEb57/3fJTNBPR1lH4CV8,
	jgunthorpe-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/,
	thierry.reding-RM9K5IK7kjKj5M59NBduVrNAH6kLmebB,
	swarren-3lzwWm7+Weoh9ZMKESR00Q, linux-lFZ/pmaqli7XmaaqVzeoHQ,
	rob.herring-bsGFqQB8/DxBDgjK7y7TUQ,
	linux-arm-kernel-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r, linux-pci,
	iommu-cunTk1MwBs9QetFLy7KEm3xJsTq8ys+cHZ5vskTnxNA, LKML,
	Yinghai Lu, mika.westerberg-VuQAYsv1563Yd54FQh9/CA,
	Alex Williamson, Don Dutile, liuj97-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w,

From: Myron Stowe @ 2013-08-09 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

[...]

* Re: Linux Plumbers ACPI/PM, PCI Microconference
@ 2013-08-09 21:37   ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2013-08-09 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myron Stowe
  Cc: thomas.petazzoni, jgunthorpe, thierry.reding, swarren, linux,

On Friday, August 09, 2013 12:12:24 PM Myron Stowe wrote:
> Time is passing quickly and there are still a few topic areas that we
> would like discussed during the microconference but still do not have
> any proposals/knowledgable speakers for.
>
> For the following people I'm specifically picking on: Are you going to
> plumbers, would you be willing to cover the following areas?  If you
> are not going, do you know someone who is and could cover?
>
> Yinghai: host bridge hot-plug - what has been accomplished to date and
> what still remains to be done?
>
> Mika: Thunderbolt activities?

That falls under my hotplug topic (that's been submitted already).

> Jiang Liu, Gu Zheng: Would you be willing to cover your recent efforts
> with PCI device (hot-plug) reference counting?
>
> Russel, Rob, Stephen, Thomas, Jason, Thierry: ARM - especially any
> PCI(e) ideosynchronicies along with ARM's IOMMU arch and how that
> relates to PCI.
>
> Alex Williamson: you want/need to cover any of the following - PCI
> secondary bus resets; pci_is_pcie() - Not just for PCIe capabilities;
> I/O port pci-sysfs resource files (fix or remove)?
>
> Of course anyone else is free to propose something or sign up for
> covering one of the proposed topics listed at
> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:pci_subsystem
>

> The instructions for submitting proposals should be at:
>
> http://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013/submitting-topic/
>
> The Microconference link is at:
>
> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:pci_subsystem

Yes, everyone, if you are going to attend the LPC and have a topic for
discussion during the ACPI/PM+PCI uconf, please submit a proposal.

We should be able to accommodate 7-8 30-minutes slots.

Thanks,
Rafael

From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2013-08-09 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Friday, August 09, 2013 12:12:24 PM Myron Stowe wrote:
> Time is passing quickly and there are still a few topic areas that we
> would like discussed during the microconference but still do not have
> any proposals/knowledgable speakers for.
>
> For the following people I'm specifically picking on: Are you going to
> plumbers, would you be willing to cover the following areas?  If you
> are not going, do you know someone who is and could cover?
>
> Yinghai: host bridge hot-plug - what has been accomplished to date and
> what still remains to be done?
>
> Mika: Thunderbolt activities?

That falls under my hotplug topic (that's been submitted already).

> Jiang Liu, Gu Zheng: Would you be willing to cover your recent efforts
> with PCI device (hot-plug) reference counting?
>
> Russel, Rob, Stephen, Thomas, Jason, Thierry: ARM - especially any
> PCI(e) ideosynchronicies along with ARM's IOMMU arch and how that
> relates to PCI.
>
> Alex Williamson: you want/need to cover any of the following - PCI
> secondary bus resets; pci_is_pcie() - Not just for PCIe capabilities;
> I/O port pci-sysfs resource files (fix or remove)?
>
> Of course anyone else is free to propose something or sign up for
> covering one of the proposed topics listed at
> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:pci_subsystem
>

> The instructions for submitting proposals should be at:
>
> http://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013/submitting-topic/
>
> The Microconference link is at:
>
> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:pci_subsystem

Yes, everyone, if you are going to attend the LPC and have a topic for
discussion during the ACPI/PM+PCI uconf, please submit a proposal.

We should be able to accommodate 7-8 30-minutes slots.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: Linux Plumbers ACPI/PM, PCI Microconference
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2013-07-31  0:36         ` Alex Williamson
From: Alex Williamson @ 2013-07-31  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan
  Cc: kvm-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, linux-pci, LKML,
	virtualization-cunTk1MwBs9QetFLy7KEm3xJsTq8ys+cHZ5vskTnxNA,
	Rafael J. Wysocki, linux-acpi-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	iommu-cunTk1MwBs9QetFLy7KEm3xJsTq8ys+cHZ5vskTnxNA, Myron Stowe,
	Shuah Khan, linux-arm-kernel-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r

On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 00:02 +0000, Shuah Khan wrote:
> On 07/30/2013 05:38 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 08:31:55 AM Shuah Khan wrote:
> >> Myron,

> >> Awesome. Yes, I would like to present what I have done so far and I do
> >> have a couple of things that could benefit from a face to face
> >> discussion which would help me make progress on the rest of the work
> >> that needs to get done.
> >
> > Care to sumbit a formal proposal through the LPC web page?
> >
> > Rafael
> >

> Rafael,
>
> I did submit a formal talk proposal to LinuxCon/LPC and it was rejected.
> Submission is closed now as far as I know.

Microconference topics should be submitted here:

http://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013/ocw/events/LPC2013/proposals/new

From: Alex Williamson @ 2013-07-31  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan
  Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, Shuah Khan, Myron Stowe, linux-pci,
	linux-acpi, linux-arm-kernel, iommu, virtualization, kvm, LKML

From: Alex Williamson @ 2013-07-31  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan
  Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, Shuah Khan, Myron Stowe, linux-pci,

From: Alex Williamson @ 2013-07-31  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan
  Cc: kvm, linux-pci, LKML, virtualization, Rafael J. Wysocki,
	linux-acpi, iommu, Myron Stowe, Shuah Khan, linux-arm-kernel

From: Alex Williamson @ 2013-07-31  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2013-07-31  0:02       ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-31  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki
  Cc: Shuah Khan, Myron Stowe, linux-pci, linux-acpi, linux-arm-kernel,
	iommu, virtualization, kvm, LKML, Shuah Khan

On 07/30/2013 05:38 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 08:31:55 AM Shuah Khan wrote:
>> Myron,
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Myron Stowe <myron.stowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Shuah - You brought up the idea about "Converting drivers from Legacy
>>> PM ops to dev_pm_ops"; would you like to present what you have
>>> done/encountered so far?
>>>

>> Awesome. Yes, I would like to present what I have done so far and I do
>> have a couple of things that could benefit from a face to face
>> discussion which would help me make progress on the rest of the work
>> that needs to get done.
>
> Care to sumbit a formal proposal through the LPC web page?
>
> Rafael

Rafael,

I did submit a formal talk proposal to LinuxCon/LPC and it was rejected.
Submission is closed now as far as I know.

-- Shuah

Shuah Khan, Linux Kernel Developer - Open Source Group Samsung Research
America (Silicon Valley) shuah.kh@samsung.com | (970) 672-0658

From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-31  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki
  Cc: Shuah Khan, Myron Stowe, linux-pci, linux-acpi, linux-arm-kernel,

From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-31  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki
  Cc: Shuah Khan, kvm, linux-pci, LKML, virtualization, linux-acpi,

From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-31  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

America (Silicon Valley) shuah.kh at samsung.com | (970) 672-0658

@ 2013-07-30 23:48     ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2013-07-30 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan
  Cc: shuah.kh, kvm, linux-pci, LKML, virtualization, linux-acpi,
	iommu, Myron Stowe, linux-arm-kernel

From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2013-07-30 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan
  Cc: Myron Stowe, linux-pci, linux-acpi, linux-arm-kernel, iommu,

From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2013-07-30 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2013-07-24 16:30       ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas
  Cc: kvm-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, linux-pci, LKML,
	virtualization-cunTk1MwBs9QetFLy7KEm3xJsTq8ys+cHZ5vskTnxNA,
	linux-acpi-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, open list:INTEL IOMMU (VT-d),
	Myron Stowe, linux-arm

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas-hpIqsD4AKlfQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Myron Stowe <myron.stowe-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Linux Plumbers has approved an ACPI/PM, PCI microconference. The
>> overview page is here:
>>
>> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:pci_subsystem
>>
>> We would like to start receiving volunteers for presenting topics of
>> interest.  There is a lot of activity in these subsystems so please
>> respond by submitting presentation or discussion proposals that you
>> would be willing to cover for consideration.  You should also feel
>> free to submit ideas as proposals that others could cover.
>
> Somebody else privately suggested these ARM/PCI topics:
>
>> -> how it's been cleaned up to be more common across arm-32 machines
>> -> dependencies on dtb
>> -> future use/dependency(s) on ACPI
>> -> hotplug support issues (if any; acpi (host-bridge) vs <whatever ARM uses> ?)
>
> and I'm interested in those as well.  There seems to be a lot of
> activity in that area.  In addition, I'm interested in ARM IOMMU
> support.  I see drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c, but it's brand-new and I
> haven't looked at it at all.

I second this topic. I am interested in ARM/iommu space also.

thanks,
-- Shuah

From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas
  Cc: Myron Stowe, linux-pci, linux-acpi, linux-arm,
	open list:INTEL IOMMU (VT-d),
	virtualization, kvm, LKML

From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas
  Cc: kvm-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, linux-pci, LKML,

From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas
  Cc: kvm, linux-pci, LKML, virtualization, linux-acpi,
	open list:INTEL IOMMU (VT-d),
	Myron Stowe, linux-arm

From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2013-07-23 16:06   ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2013-07-23 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myron Stowe
  Cc: linux-pci, linux-acpi, linux-arm, open list:INTEL IOMMU (VT-d),
	virtualization, kvm, LKML

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Myron Stowe <myron.stowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Linux Plumbers has approved an ACPI/PM, PCI microconference. The
> overview page is here:
>
> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:pci_subsystem
>
> We would like to start receiving volunteers for presenting topics of
> interest.  There is a lot of activity in these subsystems so please
> respond by submitting presentation or discussion proposals that you
> would be willing to cover for consideration.  You should also feel
> free to submit ideas as proposals that others could cover.

Somebody else privately suggested these ARM/PCI topics:

> -> how it's been cleaned up to be more common across arm-32 machines
> -> dependencies on dtb
> -> future use/dependency(s) on ACPI
> -> hotplug support issues (if any; acpi (host-bridge) vs <whatever ARM uses> ?)

and I'm interested in those as well.  There seems to be a lot of
activity in that area.  In addition, I'm interested in ARM IOMMU
support.  I see drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c, but it's brand-new and I
haven't looked at it at all.

Bjorn

From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2013-07-23 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2013-07-17 14:31   ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-17 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myron Stowe
  Cc: linux-pci, linux-acpi, linux-arm-kernel, iommu, virtualization,
	kvm, LKML, shuah.kh, Shuah Khan

Myron,

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Myron Stowe <myron.stowe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shuah - You brought up the idea about "Converting drivers from Legacy
> PM ops to dev_pm_ops"; would you like to present what you have
> done/encountered so far?

Awesome. Yes, I would like to present what I have done so far and I do
have a couple of things that could benefit from a face to face
discussion which would help me make progress on the rest of the work
that needs to get done.

Thanks for putting this item on the agenda.

From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-17 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myron Stowe
  Cc: shuah.kh, kvm, linux-pci, LKML, virtualization, linux-acpi,
	iommu, Shuah Khan, linux-arm-kernel

From: Shuah Khan @ 2013-07-17 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2013-07-17  2:21 ` Myron Stowe
From: Myron Stowe @ 2013-07-17  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pci, linux-acpi, linux-arm-kernel, iommu, virtualization,
	kvm, LKML

Linux Plumbers has approved an ACPI/PM, PCI microconference. The
overview page is here:

http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:pci_subsystem

We would like to start receiving volunteers for presenting topics of
interest.  There is a lot of activity in these subsystems so please
respond by submitting presentation or discussion proposals that you
would be willing to cover for consideration.  You should also feel
free to submit ideas as proposals that others could cover.  The
instructions for submitting ideas should be at:

http://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013/submitting-topic/

This is the "Plumbers" conference so topics concerning userspace
interaction with the kernel and not just topics concerning pure kernel
subsystem internals would be greatly welcomed.  As a possible aid
towards promoting topics for submissions we have listed a few
candidates that seem to meet the criteria in the microconference
proposals wiki located at
http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:pci_subsystem

Last year, we had a good discussion on general issues in PCI space -
that also might be worth giving updates on.

If you have topics that you would like to add, wait until the
instructions get posted at the link above. If you are impatient, feel
free to email me directly (but probably best to drop the broad mailing
lists from the reply).

Thanks!

Len, Bjorn, Myron, Rafael

Yinghai - An update on host bridge hot-add capabilities, what is in
place and what still remains to be done, would seem like a good topic.