* gsoc proposal review
@ 2017-03-24  7:22 kefu chai
From: kefu chai @ 2017-03-24  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vedant15114, ceph-devel

hi Vedant,

please use the public mailing list. that will allow other developers
to provide you help if i am not able to do so. also, it means that you
can start interacting with the rest (large) community instead of just
me (barely useful).

i just reviewed your proposal[1], couple comments:

- you need to reference your contribution to the ceph project in your
proposal. this is required.
- you can be more specific regarding to what metrics you could use to
identify a slow OSD. would be better if you can list some of them.

>  For example,if for all OSDs, the subdirectories split at the same time, it may lead to throttling in speeds.

this is the root cause, not the metrics.

some part of the M.O. overlap with
http://ceph.com/gsoc2017-ideas/#root-cause-analysis-tool.

---
[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dPrijkn8-5l4TL6C2TCORivtz_TpeccurNTI4qnFyS0/

--
Regards
Kefu Chai

* Re: gsoc proposal review
@ 2017-03-25 13:37 ` Vedant Nanda
From: Vedant Nanda @ 2017-03-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kefu chai; +Cc: ceph-devel

Thanks for the comments Kefu. I haved listed some metrics in the
proposal and changed the Modus Operandi accordingly.
Sure will use the mailing list from now on.

- I have referenced my contribution in the section titled
 'Git Log'. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dPrijkn8-5l4TL6C2TCORivtz_TpeccurNTI4qnFyS0/edit#heading=h.m4oj0wmukbry)

- Correct me if I'm wrong, some metrics profiling an OSD could be :
     I/O stats, Network stats, Number of placement groups served by an
OSD, Number of objects stored in the OSD.

Something such as high logging levels may lead to many disk writes
thus slowing down the OSD. High value of 'osd_recovery_max_chunk' may
cause throttling in network speeds. Since these settings lead to slow
OSDs, these are the "root causes".

Also, the project requires the python module to 'follow predefined
policies' to address the problem. Is the action defined based on the
metric (in which case knowing the root cause would be important) or Is
the action same irrespective of the metric classifying the OSD as
slow?

It'll be great if anybody else can review my GSoC proposal too. Link
to proposal : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dPrijkn8-5l4TL6C2TCORivtz_TpeccurNTI4qnFyS0/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers,
Vedant

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 12:52 PM, kefu chai <tchaikov@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Vedant,
>
> please use the public mailing list. that will allow other developers
> to provide you help if i am not able to do so. also, it means that you
> can start interacting with the rest (large) community instead of just
> me (barely useful).
>
> i just reviewed your proposal[1], couple comments:
>
> - you need to reference your contribution to the ceph project in your
> proposal. this is required.
> - you can be more specific regarding to what metrics you could use to
> identify a slow OSD. would be better if you can list some of them.
>
>>  For example,if for all OSDs, the subdirectories split at the same time, it may lead to throttling in speeds.
>
> this is the root cause, not the metrics.
>
> some part of the M.O. overlap with
> http://ceph.com/gsoc2017-ideas/#root-cause-analysis-tool.
>

> ---
> [1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dPrijkn8-5l4TL6C2TCORivtz_TpeccurNTI4qnFyS0/
>

> --
> Regards
> Kefu Chai

* Re: gsoc proposal review
@ 2017-04-02 10:37   ` Vedant Nanda
From: Vedant Nanda @ 2017-04-02 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kefu chai, kchai; +Cc: ceph-devel

I have done quite a few changes in the proposal after your review. Any
comments before submitting the final draft to Google?

Link : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dPrijkn8-5l4TL6C2TCORivtz_TpeccurNTI4qnFyS0/edit?usp=sharing