* BTRFS critical (device dm-2): invalid dir item name len: 77
@ 2015-01-21 11:43 Philipp Klaus Krause
From: Philipp Klaus Krause @ 2015-01-21 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello,

I've been using btrfs on a Debian GNU/Linux system. After about 9
months, I encountered my first filesystem issue. It first appeared while
doing an rm -rf, which resulted in a

rm: cannot remove […]: Directory not empty

a du -s on the directory gives an

BTRFS critical (device dm-2): invalid dir item name len: 77

I can mv directory around (which is good so it doesn't get in my way any
more), but can't rm it.

How can I get id of it?

Philipp

* Re: BTRFS critical (device dm-2): invalid dir item name len: 77
@ 2015-01-21 12:45 ` Filipe David Manana
From: Filipe David Manana @ 2015-01-21 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Klaus Krause; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Philipp Klaus Krause <pkk@spth.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using btrfs on a Debian GNU/Linux system. After about 9
> months, I encountered my first filesystem issue. It first appeared while
> doing an rm -rf, which resulted in a
>
> rm: cannot remove […]: Directory not empty
>
> a du -s on the directory gives an
>
> BTRFS critical (device dm-2): invalid dir item name len: 77
>
> I can mv directory around (which is good so it doesn't get in my way any
> more), but can't rm it.
>
> How can I get id of it?

In principle btrfsck (with the --repair option) should be able to fix it.
Before running it with --repair, it's recommended to backup your data
and run it first in readonly mode (no command line options passed to
btrfsck) to confirm it detects the issue. Also try the latest version
of btrfs-progs (currently v3.18.x), which has better chances of fixing
it.

We had a few issues [1, 2] that lead to that issue, one fix is in
kernel 3.18 and the other one is very recent, not yet in any kernel
release:

Hope it helps.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=a2cc11db245b9d8fbd4e3adbe2a1e7cf60473950
[2] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/5604671/