* Orphan inodes
@ 2015-12-17 11:37 Vignesh Raman
From: Vignesh Raman @ 2015-12-17 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel

Hi,

I see the below message when running e2fsck on a partition,

Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.  Fix? yes
Inode 19387 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.

Does first message mean the unlinked inodes is not removed?
Does this message occur due to some file system corruption?

Any pointed will be helpful. Thanks.

Vignesh.

* Re: Orphan inodes
@ 2015-12-22 11:21 ` Jan Kara
From: Jan Kara @ 2015-12-22 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vignesh Raman; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

  Hi,

On Thu 17-12-15 17:07:48, Vignesh Raman wrote:
> I see the below message when running e2fsck on a partition,
>
> Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.  Fix? yes
> Inode 19387 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
>
> Does first message mean the unlinked inodes is not removed?

Yes.

> Does this message occur due to some file system corruption?

Yes.

It's hard to say why the fs got corrupted without more details. At least
full fsck output, ideally image of the corrupted filesystem obtained via
e2image.

									Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.com>
SUSE Labs, CR

* Re: Orphan inodes
@ 2015-12-29 10:15   ` Vignesh Raman
From: Vignesh Raman @ 2015-12-29 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kara; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> wrote:
> It's hard to say why the fs got corrupted without more details. At least
> full fsck output, ideally image of the corrupted filesystem obtained via
> e2image.

The full e2fsck output is,

Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.  Fix? yes

Inode 19387 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Inode 19388 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Inode 19390 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Inode 19392 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Inode 19396 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Inode 19399 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Inode 19401 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Inode 19405 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Inode 19414 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Inode 19416 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Inode 19873 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/mnt/test/test.img: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

   20129 inodes used (31.44%)
      25 non-contiguous files (0.1%)
       4 non-contiguous directories (0.0%)
         # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 0/0/0
         Extent depth histogram: 20119/1
  694365 blocks used (75.34%)
       0 bad blocks
       1 large file

   19973 regular files
     147 directories
       0 character device files
       0 block device files
       0 fifos
       0 links
       0 symbolic links (0 fast symbolic links)
       0 sockets
--------
   20120 files

Regards,
Vignesh.

* Re: Orphan inodes
@ 2015-12-29 15:15     ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2015-12-29 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vignesh Raman; +Cc: Jan Kara, linux-fsdevel

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 03:45:31PM +0530, Vignesh Raman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> wrote:
> > It's hard to say why the fs got corrupted without more details. At least
> > full fsck output, ideally image of the corrupted filesystem obtained via
> > e2image.
>
> The full e2fsck output is,
>
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.  Fix? yes
>
> Inode 19387 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.
> Inode 19388 was part of the orphaned inode list.  FIXED.

(a) what kernel and distribution version are you using?

(b) can you reproduce this?  If so, how?

					- Ted

* Re: Orphan inodes
@ 2015-12-31  9:25       ` Vignesh Raman
From: Vignesh Raman @ 2015-12-31  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o; +Cc: Jan Kara, linux-fsdevel

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 8:45 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

> (a) what kernel and distribution version are you using?

Kernel version is 2.6.34 and the issue is seen in ARM system.

> (b) can you reproduce this?  If so, how?

Sorry, this issue is not reproducible and there is no test case to reproduce it.

I was trying to find if there were any patches post 2.6.34 to fix this
issue (corrupting orphan linked list). Thanks.

Regards,
Vignesh.

* Re: Orphan inodes
@ 2015-12-31 16:14         ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2015-12-31 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vignesh Raman; +Cc: Jan Kara, linux-fsdevel

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 02:55:32PM +0530, Vignesh Raman wrote:

> I was trying to find if there were any patches post 2.6.34 to fix this
> issue (corrupting orphan linked list). Thanks.

Note that this kind of problem can also be caused by hardware
problems.  So if you don't have a repro, and this is an ancient
(unsupported) kernel, there really isn't much we can do to help.

Sorry.

					- Ted