* Bad TCP performance on WLE900VX
@ 2018-01-03  1:47 Robert Jones
From: Robert Jones @ 2018-01-03  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

Hello Everyone,

I'm using a custom arm64 board with a Cavium CN8030 CPU and testing
wireless card performance via iperf on Ubuntu 16.02 with a mainline
4.14 kernel. I have two identical units connected to each other via
60dB attenuators on all three channels. Channel is set to 161 VHT80.

With UDP I see throughput upwards of 650Mbits/s, but TCP is
~24Mbits/s. That seemed odd so I did a little more testing. Switched
to a 4.9 kernel and still saw the poor performance, but not with a
4.4. Before I went through the trouble of bisecting I thought to ask
if there was something I was missing.

I did come across this Ubuntu bug thread
[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1670041] which
appeared to follow the same behavior I was seeing. Switched my TCP
congestion algorithm to reno and saw throughput jump to >330Mbits/s.
Cubic and BBR still ~24.

My question now, is there a standing bug that I'm not aware of or
could there be some sort of problem with my configuration that is
being worked around with the reno algorithm?

Thanks,
Robert Jones

* Re: Bad TCP performance on WLE900VX
@ 2018-01-03  2:00 ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2018-01-03  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Jones, ath10k

On 01/02/2018 05:47 PM, Robert Jones wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm using a custom arm64 board with a Cavium CN8030 CPU and testing
> wireless card performance via iperf on Ubuntu 16.02 with a mainline
> 4.14 kernel. I have two identical units connected to each other via
> 60dB attenuators on all three channels. Channel is set to 161 VHT80.
>
> With UDP I see throughput upwards of 650Mbits/s, but TCP is
> ~24Mbits/s. That seemed odd so I did a little more testing. Switched
> to a 4.9 kernel and still saw the poor performance, but not with a
> 4.4. Before I went through the trouble of bisecting I thought to ask
> if there was something I was missing.
>
> I did come across this Ubuntu bug thread
> [https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1670041] which
> appeared to follow the same behavior I was seeing. Switched my TCP
> congestion algorithm to reno and saw throughput jump to >330Mbits/s.
> Cubic and BBR still ~24.
>
> My question now, is there a standing bug that I'm not aware of or
> could there be some sort of problem with my configuration that is
> being worked around with the reno algorithm?

There are more tcp related hacks that make ath10k useful for
generating TCP traffic.  The tcp_tsq_limit_output_interval
one in particular is helpful.

You can dig through my kernel and look for a commit related to
tcp_tsq_limit_output_interval.  Try setting it to 5 or higher.

https://github.com/greearb/linux-ct-4.13

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

* Re: Bad TCP performance on WLE900VX
@ 2018-01-04 14:38 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2018-01-04 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Jones; +Cc: ath10k

Robert Jones <rjones@gateworks.com> writes:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm using a custom arm64 board with a Cavium CN8030 CPU and testing
> wireless card performance via iperf on Ubuntu 16.02 with a mainline
> 4.14 kernel. I have two identical units connected to each other via
> 60dB attenuators on all three channels. Channel is set to 161 VHT80.
>
> With UDP I see throughput upwards of 650Mbits/s, but TCP is
> ~24Mbits/s. That seemed odd so I did a little more testing. Switched
> to a 4.9 kernel and still saw the poor performance, but not with a
> 4.4. Before I went through the trouble of bisecting I thought to ask
> if there was something I was missing.
>
> I did come across this Ubuntu bug thread
> [https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1670041] which
> appeared to follow the same behavior I was seeing. Switched my TCP
> congestion algorithm to reno and saw throughput jump to >330Mbits/s.
> Cubic and BBR still ~24.
>
> My question now, is there a standing bug that I'm not aware of or
> could there be some sort of problem with my configuration that is
> being worked around with the reno algorithm?

There's now support in TCP stack (commit below) to workaround this issue
in ath10k. I tried to come up with a patch before holidays but didn't
make it, anyone willing to write one?

tcp: allow drivers to tweak TSQ logic
https://git.kernel.org/linus/3a9b76fd0db9f0d426533f96a68a62a58753a51e

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: Bad TCP performance on WLE900VX
@ 2018-01-10 18:15   ` Robert Jones
From: Robert Jones @ 2018-01-10 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: greearb; +Cc: ath10k

> There are more tcp related hacks that make ath10k useful for
> generating TCP traffic.  The tcp_tsq_limit_output_interval
> one in particular is helpful

> You can dig through my kernel and look for a commit related to
> tcp_tsq_limit_output_interval.  Try setting it to 5 or higher.

This solved the problem for me.

Link to commit for anyone else looking:
https://github.com/greearb/linux-ct-4.13/commit/dc201c3c310f805681dbf393484bdc9715745df1

Thanks!
Robert

* Re: Bad TCP performance on WLE900VX
@ 2018-01-11 22:50     ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2018-01-11 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Jones; +Cc: ath10k

On 01/10/2018 10:15 AM, Robert Jones wrote:
>> There are more tcp related hacks that make ath10k useful for
>> generating TCP traffic.  The tcp_tsq_limit_output_interval
>> one in particular is helpful
>
>> You can dig through my kernel and look for a commit related to
>> tcp_tsq_limit_output_interval.  Try setting it to 5 or higher.
>
> This solved the problem for me.
>
> Link to commit for anyone else looking:
> https://github.com/greearb/linux-ct-4.13/commit/dc201c3c310f805681dbf393484bdc9715745df1

Out of curiosity, did you try the patch that Kalle suggested?

I'd be curious how that performed in comparison...

Thanks,
Ben

--

@ 2018-01-12  1:24       ` Robert Jones
From: Robert Jones @ 2018-01-12  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear; +Cc: ath10k

> Out of curiosity, did you try the patch that Kalle suggested?

I did not unfortunately. I have other cards to qualify but if I can
come back to this I'll post the results.

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 2:50 PM, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:
> On 01/10/2018 10:15 AM, Robert Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> There are more tcp related hacks that make ath10k useful for
>>> generating TCP traffic.  The tcp_tsq_limit_output_interval
>>> one in particular is helpful
>>

>>> You can dig through my kernel and look for a commit related to
>>> tcp_tsq_limit_output_interval.  Try setting it to 5 or higher.
>>

>> This solved the problem for me.
>>
>> Link to commit for anyone else looking:
>>
>> https://github.com/greearb/linux-ct-4.13/commit/dc201c3c310f805681dbf393484bdc9715745df1
>

> Out of curiosity, did you try the patch that Kalle suggested?
>
> I'd be curious how that performed in comparison...
>

> Thanks,
> Ben
>

> --
> Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

Robert Jones - Software Engineer
Gateworks Corporation - http://www.gateworks.com/
3026 S. Higuera St. San Luis Obispo CA 93401
805-781-2000

* Re: Bad TCP performance on WLE900VX
@ 2018-01-12  8:56         ` Sebastian Gottschall
From: Sebastian Gottschall @ 2018-01-12  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

Am 12.01.2018 um 02:24 schrieb Robert Jones:
>> Out of curiosity, did you try the patch that Kalle suggested?
> I did not unfortunately. I have other cards to qualify but if I can
> come back to this I'll post the results.
this patch wont change anything, since you still need to modify ath10k
to set a sane tsq value
see this additional patch from lede
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=111b49902465116a8353d29afe02eff0f56ea0a3

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Regards

Sebastian Gottschall / CTO

NewMedia-NET GmbH - DD-WRT
Firmensitz:  Stubenwaldallee 21a, 64625 Bensheim
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 25473
Geschäftsführer: Peter Steinhäuser, Christian Scheele
http://www.dd-wrt.com
email: s.gottschall@dd-wrt.com
Tel.: +496251-582650 / Fax: +496251-5826565

* Re: Bad TCP performance on WLE900VX
@ 2018-01-12 17:23           ` Robert Jones
From: Robert Jones @ 2018-01-12 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Gottschall; +Cc: ath10k

>>> Out of curiosity, did you try the patch that Kalle suggested?
>>
>> I did not unfortunately. I have other cards to qualify but if I can
>> come back to this I'll post the results.
>
> this patch wont change anything, since you still need to modify ath10k to
> set a sane tsq value
> see this additional patch from lede
> https://git.lede-project.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=111b49902465116a8353d29afe02eff0f56ea0a3

I was just planning on hardcoding a few values suggested by the
testing done in the Kalle's commit message.
But thank you for the LEDE patch, that will make testing this easier.

Thanks,
Robert