* linux-next: manual merge of the nfs-anna tree with the fscache tree
@ 2021-12-17  0:35 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-12-17  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the nfs-anna tree got conflicts in:

  fs/nfs/fscache.c
  fs/nfs/fscache.h
  fs/nfs/fscache-index.c

between commit:

  882ff66585ec ("nfs: Convert to new fscache volume/cookie API")

from the fscache tree and commits:

  e89edabcb3d4 ("NFS: Remove remaining usages of NFSDBG_FSCACHE")
  0d20bd7faac9 ("NFS: Cleanup usage of nfs_inode in fscache interface and handle i_size properly")
  4a0574909596 ("NFS: Rename fscache read and write pages functions")
  3b779545aa01 ("NFS: Convert NFS fscache enable/disable dfprintks to tracepoints")
  b9077ca60a13 ("NFS: Replace dfprintks with tracepoints in fscache read and write page functions")
  416de7e7eeb6 ("NFS: Remove remaining dfprintks related to fscache cookies")
  fcb692b98976 ("NFS: Use nfs_i_fscache() consistently within NFS fscache code")

from the nfs-anna tree.

I had no idea how to fix this all up, so I just dropped the nfs-anna
tree for today.   Please get together and coordinate thses changes.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the nfs-anna tree with the fscache tree
@ 2021-12-17 11:40 ` David Wysochanski
From: David Wysochanski @ 2021-12-17 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 7:35 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the nfs-anna tree got conflicts in:
>
>   fs/nfs/fscache.c
>   fs/nfs/fscache.h
>   fs/nfs/fscache-index.c
>
> between commit:
>
>   882ff66585ec ("nfs: Convert to new fscache volume/cookie API")
>
> from the fscache tree and commits:
>
>   e89edabcb3d4 ("NFS: Remove remaining usages of NFSDBG_FSCACHE")
>   0d20bd7faac9 ("NFS: Cleanup usage of nfs_inode in fscache interface and handle i_size properly")
>   4a0574909596 ("NFS: Rename fscache read and write pages functions")
>   3b779545aa01 ("NFS: Convert NFS fscache enable/disable dfprintks to tracepoints")
>   b9077ca60a13 ("NFS: Replace dfprintks with tracepoints in fscache read and write page functions")
>   416de7e7eeb6 ("NFS: Remove remaining dfprintks related to fscache cookies")
>   fcb692b98976 ("NFS: Use nfs_i_fscache() consistently within NFS fscache code")

Anna, feel free to drop these from your tree to avoid the conflicts
with the rest of your tree and dhowells fscache-rewrite patchset.

@ 2021-12-17 13:11 ` David Howells
From: David Howells @ 2021-12-17 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anna Schumaker
  Cc: dhowells, Stephen Rothwell, David Wysochanski, Trond Myklebust,
	NFS Mailing List, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Linux Next Mailing List

David Wysochanski <dwysocha@redhat.com> wrote:

> Anna, feel free to drop these from your tree to avoid the conflicts
> with the rest of your tree and dhowells fscache-rewrite patchset.

Would it help to take some bits through my tree?  (Or, at least, alter my NFS
patches)

David

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the nfs-anna tree with the fscache tree
@ 2021-12-17 13:33   ` David Wysochanski
From: David Wysochanski @ 2021-12-17 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Howells
  Cc: Anna Schumaker, Stephen Rothwell, Trond Myklebust,

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 8:11 AM David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com> wrote:

> David Wysochanski <dwysocha@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Anna, feel free to drop these from your tree to avoid the conflicts
> > with the rest of your tree and dhowells fscache-rewrite patchset.
>
> Would it help to take some bits through my tree?  (Or, at least, alter my NFS
> patches)

I think so.  If Anna is ok with it, she can drop them from her tree.
And I'm looking at these 7 patches to see which ones make sense on top
of your tree (the v3 patches you just sent).

Mainly my patches were cleanups, plus converting from dfprintk to tracepoints.
Some patches may no longer be needed.
As one example, this may be better done with tracepoints inside
__fscache_use_cookie and __fscache_unuse_cookie

@ 2021-12-17 15:34   ` Anna Schumaker
From: Anna Schumaker @ 2021-12-17 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Wysochanski
	David Howells, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Linux Next Mailing List

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 10:34 AM David Wysochanski <dwysocha@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 7:35 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the nfs-anna tree got conflicts in:
> >
> >   fs/nfs/fscache.c
> >   fs/nfs/fscache.h
> >   fs/nfs/fscache-index.c
> >
> > between commit:
> >
> >   882ff66585ec ("nfs: Convert to new fscache volume/cookie API")
> >
> > from the fscache tree and commits:
> >
> >   e89edabcb3d4 ("NFS: Remove remaining usages of NFSDBG_FSCACHE")
> >   0d20bd7faac9 ("NFS: Cleanup usage of nfs_inode in fscache interface and handle i_size properly")
> >   4a0574909596 ("NFS: Rename fscache read and write pages functions")
> >   3b779545aa01 ("NFS: Convert NFS fscache enable/disable dfprintks to tracepoints")
> >   b9077ca60a13 ("NFS: Replace dfprintks with tracepoints in fscache read and write page functions")
> >   416de7e7eeb6 ("NFS: Remove remaining dfprintks related to fscache cookies")
> >   fcb692b98976 ("NFS: Use nfs_i_fscache() consistently within NFS fscache code")
> >
> Anna, feel free to drop these from your tree to avoid the conflicts
> with the rest of your tree and dhowells fscache-rewrite patchset.

Sounds good!

Anna