* [Q] Crappy bluetooth usb adapter is timing out
@ 2012-05-07 18:10 Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2012-05-07 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hi,

I have some generic (chinese) bluetooth usb adapter
that I want to use on linux 2.6.23.17 box, I'm using
bluez 4.95 stack.

(I now the kernel is very old, but I just need some
generic clue ;)

When I run this code:

  for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
  do
      hciconfig hci0 reset
  done

I get this message:
"Can't init device hci0: Connection timed out (110)"

I've tracked this down to hciconfig.c, when it calls
HCIDEVUP ioctl.

I just wanted to know if I'm doing anything wrong, and
if I can raise any timer value, so I don't get the timeout error.

I guess I just could retry the operation, but it's a nice oportunity
to dive into interesting code.

Thanks in advance,
Ezequiel.

* Re: [Q] Crappy bluetooth usb adapter is timing out
@ 2012-05-07 18:20 ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2012-05-07 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hi,

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get this message:
> "Can't init device hci0: Connection timed out (110)"
>
> I've tracked this down to hciconfig.c, when it calls
> HCIDEVUP ioctl.
>
> I just wanted to know if I'm doing anything wrong, and
> if I can raise any timer value, so I don't get the timeout error.

So, I was just looking at HCIDEVUP ioctl on my kernel code, and it seems
that the timer value is controlled by "HCI_INIT_TIMEOUT" macro,
and that macro is currently set to 10 seconds.

Now, 10 seconds looks like more than reasonable to me, so I guess
the smart solution is to just re-try the operation.

FWIW, does any of you ever experience this kind of issue?
I would like to know in what ways is my device crappy ;)

Thanks,

@ 2012-05-07 20:07   ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2012-05-07 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Once more,

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, does any of you ever experience this kind of issue?
> I would like to know in what ways is my device crappy ;)

FWIW ^2, maybe it's my kernel (old, vendor-provided, and not-so-supported):

and that would be bad news for me.

@ 2012-05-07 23:30     ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2012-05-07 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW ^2, maybe it's my kernel (old, vendor-provided, and not-so-supported):

I just reproduced the buggy behavior on my 3.4.0 kernel.
So if I can get it to work on some other kernel (so I can
discard hw failures) I could conclude this is a kernel bug after all.

Ubuntu guys think it's kernel related:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/268502

and here too:

If someone is reading this, and has any ideas...
I'm listening.

@ 2012-05-07 23:46       ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2012-05-07 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ezequiel Garcia; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Ezequiel,

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW ^2, maybe it's my kernel (old, vendor-provided, and not-so-supported):
>>

> I just reproduced the buggy behavior on my 3.4.0 kernel.
> So if I can get it to work on some other kernel (so I can
> discard hw failures) I could conclude this is a kernel bug after all.
>
> Ubuntu guys think it's kernel related:
>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/268502
>>

> and here too:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/460743
>
> If someone is reading this, and has any ideas...
> I'm listening.

Can you try to run hcidump and send the output to us? That would help a lot.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz