* [Buildroot] Bazel integration in buildroot
@ 2019-02-24 16:24 Asaf Kahlon
From: Asaf Kahlon @ 2019-02-24 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

At my work we started a process in which we want to choose a construction
tool for our packages. Of course all the traditionals are on the list like
cmake, meson and others, but we're also looking at Bazel from Google.
All in all, Bazel seems like a nice construction tool, but I noticed that
there's not even one package in Buildroot that compiles with Bazel and I
wanted to know if we missed something. Is someone here familiar with this
build system and can elaborate more details on Bazel in the embedded world
and specifically in Buildroot?

Regards,
Asaf.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Bazel integration in buildroot
@ 2019-03-01 12:19 ` Vadym Kochan
From: Vadym Kochan @ 2019-03-01 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Asaf,

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 06:24:40PM +0200, Asaf Kahlon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At my work we started a process in which we want to choose a construction
> tool for our packages. Of course all the traditionals are on the list like
> cmake, meson and others, but we're also looking at Bazel from Google.
> All in all, Bazel seems like a nice construction tool, but I noticed that
> there's not even one package in Buildroot that compiles with Bazel and I
> wanted to know if we missed something. Is someone here familiar with this
> build system and can elaborate more details on Bazel in the embedded world
> and specifically in Buildroot?
>
> Regards,
> Asaf.

First of all I am not an expert, but I have some thoughts about this:)

It looks like bazel is a Java application ? if so, then there will one
more (I think big) dependency like Java on the host to build the bazel's
packages, or it may be built by openjdk buildroot's package (which is
not merged yet). Actually, bazel packages support might be added for local
usages only.

Anyway it is better if some of the buildroot experts can answer this question.

Regards,
Vadim Kochan

* [Buildroot] Bazel integration in buildroot
@ 2019-03-01 15:33   ` Asaf Kahlon
From: Asaf Kahlon @ 2019-03-01 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Vadim,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 2:19 PM Vadym Kochan <vadim4j@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Asaf,
>
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 06:24:40PM +0200, Asaf Kahlon wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > At my work we started a process in which we want to choose a construction
> > tool for our packages. Of course all the traditionals are on the list like
> > cmake, meson and others, but we're also looking at Bazel from Google.
> > All in all, Bazel seems like a nice construction tool, but I noticed that
> > there's not even one package in Buildroot that compiles with Bazel and I
> > wanted to know if we missed something. Is someone here familiar with this
> > build system and can elaborate more details on Bazel in the embedded world
> > and specifically in Buildroot?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Asaf.
>
> First of all I am not an expert, but I have some thoughts about this:)
>
> It looks like bazel is a Java application ? if so, then there will one
> more (I think big) dependency like Java on the host to build the bazel's
> packages, or it may be built by openjdk buildroot's package (which is
> not merged yet). Actually, bazel packages support might be added for local
> usages only.
>
> Anyway it is better if some of the buildroot experts can answer this question.
>
> Regards,
> Vadim Kochan

Thanks for the response!
I think too it would require a non-trivial change.
I'll be happy to hear from other Buildroot experts too.

Thanks,
Asaf.

* [Buildroot] Bazel integration in buildroot
@ 2019-03-04  7:28     ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2019-03-04  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 01/03/2019 16:33, Asaf Kahlon wrote:
> Hello Vadim,
>
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 2:19 PM Vadym Kochan <vadim4j@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Asaf,
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 06:24:40PM +0200, Asaf Kahlon wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> At my work we started a process in which we want to choose a construction
>>> tool for our packages. Of course all the traditionals are on the list like
>>> cmake, meson and others, but we're also looking at Bazel from Google.
>>> All in all, Bazel seems like a nice construction tool, but I noticed that
>>> there's not even one package in Buildroot that compiles with Bazel and I
>>> wanted to know if we missed something. Is someone here familiar with this
>>> build system and can elaborate more details on Bazel in the embedded world
>>> and specifically in Buildroot?

 The big question is: does Bazal support cross-compilation? If it does, using
Bazel for building in Buildroot should be easy enough.

>>> Regards,
>>> Asaf.
>>
>> First of all I am not an expert, but I have some thoughts about this:)
>>
>> It looks like bazel is a Java application ? if so, then there will one
>> more (I think big) dependency like Java on the host to build the bazel's
>> packages, or it may be built by openjdk buildroot's package (which is

 We can have conditionals in dependencies.sh. E.g. the "locale" program is a
dependency if BR2_NEEDS_HOST_UTF8_LOCALE=y.

>> not merged yet). Actually, bazel packages support might be added for local
>> usages only.
>>
>> Anyway it is better if some of the buildroot experts can answer this question.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vadim Kochan
>
> Thanks for the response!
> I think too it would require a non-trivial change.

 We typically start with creating a few packages that use the build system
before creating infra for it. And in some cases we simply don't create infra,
e.g. for qmake.

 Regards,
 Arnout