* Git -> fossil bridging?
@ 2013-11-17 21:00 Tim Chase
       [not found] ` <575D57DB-026F-484E-8068-E7965395E902@gmail.com>
From: Tim Chase @ 2013-11-17 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Has there been any development on git<->fossil bridging?  I know one
can spew fastimports between the two for an initial synchronization,
but I'd like to have a continuous bridge; something like git-svn.
I have fossil on one machine (mostly a public machine, for
bug-tracking, wiki, etc that fossil does nicely) while using git
locally and pushing change-sets out to the fossil repo.

Any tips?

My current experimentation just houses both in the same location with
my git "master" branch manually synced with the fossil repo (which is
really all I need which does simplify matters greatly, though it
would be nice to sync multiple branches if the functionality was
there).

Thanks,

-tkc

* Re: Git -> fossil bridging?
       [not found] ` <575D57DB-026F-484E-8068-E7965395E902@gmail.com>
@ 2013-11-18  0:26   ` Tim Chase
From: Tim Chase @ 2013-11-18  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Kyle J. McKay

On 2013-11-17 14:43, Kyle J. McKay wrote:
> Sounds like you want to write a 'git-remote-fossil' helper so you
> can do something like:
>
>    git clone fossil::http://sqlite.org/src

Pretty much.  Or at least something akin to git-svn where one would do

  git fossil clone http://some.fossil.url/path/to/repo.fossil
  # hack hack
  git commit
  # possibly some git-branch, git-merge, git-rebase, git-cherry-pick
  # lather, rinse, repeat
  git fossil push # or git fossil dcommit

I've not played with the git+hg or git+bzr bridges to see if they'd
have a more useful interface that would better map to fossil.  If so,
imagine that's what I typed above ;-)

-tkc

* Re: Git -> fossil bridging?
@ 2013-11-18  7:17     ` Johan Herland
From: Johan Herland @ 2013-11-18  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM, Tim Chase <git@tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> On 2013-11-17 14:43, Kyle J. McKay wrote:
>> Sounds like you want to write a 'git-remote-fossil' helper so you
>> can do something like:
>>
>>    git clone fossil::http://sqlite.org/src
>
> Pretty much.  Or at least something akin to git-svn where one would do
>
>   git fossil clone http://some.fossil.url/path/to/repo.fossil
>   # hack hack
>   git commit
>   # possibly some git-branch, git-merge, git-rebase, git-cherry-pick
>   # lather, rinse, repeat
>   git fossil push # or git fossil dcommit
>
> I've not played with the git+hg or git+bzr bridges to see if they'd
> have a more useful interface that would better map to fossil.  If so,
> imagine that's what I typed above ;-)

If you're looking at implementing this, please look at "git help
remote-helpers" (or
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-remote-helpers.html
) which describes an infrastructure (in addition to
fast-import/export) we have for interacting with foreign version
control systems. A remote helper for fossil repos would allow you to
consider the fossil repo as a git remote, and the usual git
clone/fetch/pull/push commands for interacting with remote repos would
Just Work against a fossil repo.

I understand how you might want to model this on "git svn", since that
is obviously the most popular interface between git and an other VCS,
but I believe git-svn is not the best example for how to write these
gateways nowadays. git-svn was written long before git remote-helpers
existed, but I hope/believe that if it was written again today, it
would use remote-helpers instead of implementing its own commands.

git-remote-bzr and git-remote-hg in contrib/remote-helpers/ is the
code that implements the git+bzr and git+hg bridges you mention above.
Those would be useful reference points when implementing a
git-remote-fossil helper. git-remote-mediawiki in contrib/mw-to-git/
might also be a useful example.

...Johan

--
Johan Herland, <johan@herland.net>
www.herland.net

* Re: Git -> fossil bridging?
@ 2014-10-30 23:14       ` tofutim
From: tofutim @ 2014-10-30 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Dear Tim and Johan,

Are either of you aware of any progress (attempted or otherwise) ever made
on "git fossil"? It would be lovely to have this working.

Respectfully,
Tim