* OpenBMC helper scripts repositories
@ 2017-10-06  1:55 Andrew Jeffery
       [not found] ` <OFDFEB18C7.4CBB979B-ON002581B1.000FD8A2@LocalDomain>
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2017-10-06  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC

Hello,

I've noticed that we've grown several helper script repositories, with
a mix of intents.

So far we have:

https://github.com/williamspatrick/openbmc-events

and the seemingly more active fork:

https://github.com/geissonator/openbmc-events

Along with something Joel cooked up a while back:

https://github.com/shenki/obmc-ctrl

and some scripts that I've written:

https://github.com/amboar/obmc-scripts/

Is it worth consolidating these efforts? If we do I think the result
should be low friction wrt merging changes, and some hacking should
always be expected if you're going to use the repository. Consolidating
might help avoid duplicate effort.

Cheers,

Andrew

* Re: OpenBMC helper scripts repositories
@ 2017-10-06  2:52 ` Chris Austen
       [not found] ` <OFDFEB18C7.4CBB979B-ON002581B1.000FD8A2@LocalDomain>
From: Chris Austen @ 2017-10-06  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: OpenBMC

Mine too... https://github.com/causten/openbmc-tutorials

"openbmc" <openbmc-bounces+austenc=us.ibm.com@lists.ozlabs.org> wrote on
10/05/2017 08:55:40 PM:

@ 2017-10-06  2:58   ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2017-10-06  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Austen; +Cc: OpenBMC

On Thu, 2017-10-05 at 21:52 -0500, Chris Austen wrote:
> Mine too... https://github.com/causten/openbmc-tutorials

That's some handy content! Probably not quite what I'd expect for a
random utils repository, but we should work out what to do with this as
well. Certainly could feature on a website when we get one...

@ 2017-10-06  3:54   ` Chris Austen
From: Chris Austen @ 2017-10-06  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Austen; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, OpenBMC, openbmc

https://github.com/causten/tools/tree/master/obmc  I've also got those
files.  things have evolved and I not kept the error logging or code update
refreshed to any of the new xyz paths.  However, leds.py still can toggle
the LEDS on a system and obmcrequests.py (my library for bmc communication)
can work offline if the data has been captured.

"openbmc" <openbmc-bounces+austenc=us.ibm.com@lists.ozlabs.org> wrote on
10/05/2017 09:52:43 PM:

> From: "Chris Austen" <austenc@us.ibm.com>
> To: Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au>
> Cc: OpenBMC <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
> Date: 10/05/2017 09:53 PM
> Subject: Re: OpenBMC helper scripts repositories
> Sent by: "openbmc" <openbmc-bounces+austenc=us.ibm.com@lists.ozlabs.org>
>
> Mine too... https://github.com/causten/openbmc-tutorials
>

> "openbmc" <openbmc-bounces+austenc=us.ibm.com@lists.ozlabs.org>
> wrote on 10/05/2017 08:55:40 PM:
>
> > From: Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au>
> > To: OpenBMC <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
> > Date: 10/05/2017 08:56 PM
> > Subject: OpenBMC helper scripts repositories
> > Sent by: "openbmc" <openbmc-bounces
+austenc=us.ibm.com@lists.ozlabs.org>

> > Hello,
> >
> > I've noticed that we've grown several helper script repositories, with
> > a mix of intents.
> >
> > So far we have:
> >
> > https://github.com/williamspatrick/openbmc-events
> >
> > and the seemingly more active fork:
> >
> > https://github.com/geissonator/openbmc-events
> >
> > Along with something Joel cooked up a while back:
> >
> > https://github.com/shenki/obmc-ctrl
> >
> > and some scripts that I've written:
> >
> > https://github.com/amboar/obmc-scripts/
> >
> > Is it worth consolidating these efforts? If we do I think the result
> > should be low friction wrt merging changes, and some hacking should
> > always be expected if you're going to use the repository. Consolidating
> > might help avoid duplicate effort.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Andrew[attachment "signature.asc" deleted by Chris Austen/Austin/IBM]

* Re: OpenBMC helper scripts repositories
@ 2017-10-09 18:00     ` Andrew Geissler
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2017-10-09 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Austen; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, openbmc, OpenBMC

Brad, Patrick, and I were also tossing around a misc tools repo under
the openbmc umbrella a few weeks back.

I definitely vote for one!  I think the main concern was support, it
would def be a "use at your own risk" and "patches preferred over bug
reports" type repo.

I know George also has a collection of tools he uses for REST
operations as well.

With https://github.com/geissonator/openbmc-events, I was looking to
build a bunch of small tools, that had similar command line interfaces
to interact with the different REST api's in openbmc.

Andrew

@ 2017-10-10  1:55       ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2017-10-10  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler; +Cc: Chris Austen, Andrew Jeffery, openbmc, OpenBMC

Vote+1

I always wanted such a repo to put common/shared scripts together.

And even more, what about a repo that collects the common/shared code (C/C++)?

Quite a lot of repos are having the same/similar functions like
getting a service
via mapper call.
Is it better to collect such code, make sure they are well-tested,
and put them in a shared repo (e.g. in SDK)?

--
BRs,
Lei YU

@ 2017-10-11  3:10       ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2017-10-11  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler, Chris Austen; +Cc: openbmc, OpenBMC

On Mon, 2017-10-09 at 13:00 -0500, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> Brad, Patrick, and I were also tossing around a misc tools repo under
> the openbmc umbrella a few weeks back.

Interesting, glad to hear it's already got some attention.

> I definitely vote for one!  I think the main concern was support, it
> would def be a "use at your own risk" and "patches preferred over bug
> reports" type repo.

Yeah, absolutely. This is what I was looking for as well, as a means to
merge code as quickly as possible to minimise the fragmentation. This
means things will probably be broken, but maybe we can look at
hardening the process against breakage after we've got something in
place (and are sick of it breaking).

> I know George also has a collection of tools he uses for REST
> operations as well.

Right, these would be good to include.

> > With https://github.com/geissonator/openbmc-events, I was looking to
> build a bunch of small tools, that had similar command line interfaces
> to interact with the different REST api's in openbmc.

Consistency is good (especially with respect to the REST API) if it's
easy to achieve, but I think we shouldn't get too hung up about it in
general (i.e. for tools operating outside the REST context).

What if we git-subtree the existing repos into mine? I'm happy to
maintain it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

@ 2017-10-11  3:12         ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2017-10-11  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU, Andrew Geissler; +Cc: Chris Austen, openbmc, OpenBMC

On Tue, 2017-10-10 at 09:55 +0800, Lei YU wrote:
> Vote+1
>
> I always wanted such a repo to put common/shared scripts together.

Great, it seems there's a fair bit of consensus on this. Did you have
any scripts of your own that we could pull in?

> And even more, what about a repo that collects the common/shared code
> (C/C++)?

I feel this is a different undertaking, something that should be
addressed separately from what I'm proposing. My move-fast-and-break-
things model doesn't really gel with developing the low-level libraries
you're talking about here.

@ 2017-10-12  6:34           ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2017-10-12  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: Andrew Geissler, Chris Austen, openbmc, OpenBMC

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-10-10 at 09:55 +0800, Lei YU wrote:
>> Vote+1
>>
>> I always wanted such a repo to put common/shared scripts together.
>
> Great, it seems there's a fair bit of consensus on this. Did you have
> any scripts of your own that we could pull in?

Yup, I have "upload_and_update.py" that do the code upload/update.
Though it only works on non-ubi-fs systems.
https://gist.github.com/mine260309/21ceff0f69b42df0ef12a85c83ec01c3

>> And even more, what about a repo that collects the common/shared code
>> (C/C++)?
>
> I feel this is a different undertaking, something that should be
> addressed separately from what I'm proposing. My move-fast-and-break-
> things model doesn't really gel with developing the low-level libraries
> you're talking about here.

Sure, let's focus on the scripts for now.

@ 2017-10-12 17:52             ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2017-10-12 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, Chris Austen, openbmc, OpenBMC

Lets do this!  Any proposal on the repo name Andrew J?  openbmc-tools?

Andrew

@ 2017-10-12 21:32               ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2017-10-12 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler, Lei YU; +Cc: Chris Austen, openbmc, OpenBMC

On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 12:52 -0500, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> Lets do this!  Any proposal on the repo name Andrew J?  openbmc-tools?

Sounds reasonable to me, can you create it?

@ 2017-10-12 21:51                 ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2017-10-12 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: Lei YU, Chris Austen, openbmc, OpenBMC

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 12:52 -0500, Andrew Geissler wrote:
>> Lets do this!  Any proposal on the repo name Andrew J?  openbmc-tools?
>
> Sounds reasonable to me, can you create it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc-tools created.

Thanks Andrew J!

* Re: OpenBMC helper scripts repositories
@ 2017-10-13 11:48             ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2017-10-13 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: Andrew Geissler, Chris Austen, openbmc, OpenBMC

On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 14:34 +0800, Lei YU wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2017-10-10 at 09:55 +0800, Lei YU wrote:
> > > Vote+1
> > >
> > > I always wanted such a repo to put common/shared scripts
> > > together.
> >
> > Great, it seems there's a fair bit of consensus on this. Did you
> > have
> > any scripts of your own that we could pull in?
>
> Yup, I have "upload_and_update.py" that do the code upload/update.
> Though it only works on non-ubi-fs systems.
> https://gist.github.com/mine260309/21ceff0f69b42df0ef12a85c83ec01c3

Can you please license this under Apache 2.0 and submit it to

@ 2017-10-13 11:51     ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2017-10-13 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Austen; +Cc: OpenBMC, openbmc

Hey Chris,

On Thu, 2017-10-05 at 22:54 -0500, Chris Austen wrote:

> https://github.com/causten/tools/tree/master/obmc I've also got those
> files. things have evolved and I not kept the error logging or code
> update refreshed to any of the new xyz paths. However, leds.py still
> can toggle the LEDS on a system and obmcrequests.py (my library for
> bmc communication) can work offline if the data has been captured.

I took a quick look at the history of the repository and I'm hesitant
to pull it in right away. We need to sort out Signed-off-by tags for it
and fix your name (to be your actual name and not 'causten') in the
commits. Once that's done though I'll pull it in.

@ 2017-10-13 11:52       ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2017-10-13 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler, Chris Austen; +Cc: openbmc, OpenBMC

On Mon, 2017-10-09 at 13:00 -0500, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> With https://github.com/geissonator/openbmc-events, I was looking to
> build a bunch of small tools, that had similar command line interfaces
> to interact with the different REST api's in openbmc.

I've pulled this into openbmc/openbmc-tools.

@ 2017-10-15 13:05               ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2017-10-15 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: Andrew Geissler, Chris Austen, openbmc, OpenBMC

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 14:34 +0800, Lei YU wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au>
>> wrote:

>> > Great, it seems there's a fair bit of consensus on this. Did you
>> > have
>> > any scripts of your own that we could pull in?
>>
>> Yup, I have "upload_and_update.py" that do the code upload/update.
>> Though it only works on non-ubi-fs systems.
>> https://gist.github.com/mine260309/21ceff0f69b42df0ef12a85c83ec01c3
>
> Can you please license this under Apache 2.0 and submit it to
> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc-tools ?

Created pull request.
Thanks!