* [Xenomai] How to use rtdm serial driver on beagle bone
@ 2018-04-11 10:40 Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-04-11 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi,

I want to use Xenomai RTDM serial driver on Beagle Bone.
Is xeno_16550A supported on Beagle Bone ?

Can you please guide me how to use it on Beagle Bone?

What are the alternate options if this is not supported?

Thanks,
Pintu

* Re: [Xenomai] How to use rtdm serial driver on beagle bone
@ 2018-04-11 10:58 ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-04-11 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar, xenomai

What serial chip is on the beaglebone? If it's not supported then your best bet is to port the Linux driver to rtdm.

Greg

@ 2018-04-11 13:45   ` Lennart Sorensen
From: Lennart Sorensen @ 2018-04-11 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: xenomai

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 06:58:45AM -0400, Greg Gallagher wrote:
> What serial chip is on the beaglebone? If it's not supported then your best bet is to port the Linux driver to rtdm.

I believe the normal driver is the 8250_omap.

So it is 16550 style, but not 100% the same.

--
Len Sorensen

* Re: [Xenomai] How to use rtdm serial driver on beagle bone
@ 2018-04-11 14:04     ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-04-11 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Sorensen; +Cc: xenomai

I think someone tried this with the uart on the PI, the basic steps
would be (IMHO)
     -unbind the current uart driver
     -insert the xeno_16550A driver
    -fix problems as they arise

If you search the list you should see people who have tried this with
other platforms in the past.

-Greg

@ 2018-04-12  6:26       ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-04-12  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: xenomai

Hi,

In BeagleBone there is no direct serial interface available.
However, we use Serial over USB (ttyUSB0) to connect to minicom.
In this case it is possible to use this interface over Xenomai and
check latency improvement?

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-04-12 11:18         ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-04-12 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: xenomai

I thought the header contained outputs for the UART?  The driver will control interfaces for the serial chip, ttyUSB0 probably won't be included in that. What type of device are you sending data to over serial?

Greg

@ 2018-04-12 11:29           ` Giulio Moro
From: Giulio Moro @ 2018-04-12 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher, Pintu Kumar; +Cc: xenomai

Ports UART1, UART2, UART4, UART5 are available on the BeagleBone's P8 and P9, and UART0 is on the debugging header. UART3 is also available, but only the TX line I think.
These can be accessed through the linux driver at `/dev/ttyS0`...`/dev/ttyS5`

Additionally, you have uart0 from the PRUSS.

See https://raw.githubusercontent.com/derekmolloy/boneDeviceTree/master/docs/BeagleboneBlackP8HeaderTable.pdf and https://raw.githubusercontent.com/derekmolloy/boneDeviceTree/master/docs/BeagleboneBlackP9HeaderTable.pdf

@ 2018-04-12 14:20         ` Lennart Sorensen
From: Lennart Sorensen @ 2018-04-12 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: xenomai

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 11:56:20AM +0530, Pintu Kumar wrote:
> In BeagleBone there is no direct serial interface available.
> However, we use Serial over USB (ttyUSB0) to connect to minicom.
> In this case it is possible to use this interface over Xenomai and
> check latency improvement?

I thought that was only true on the black.  I think the white had a real
serial port.  At least the original explicitly lists "Black removes the
on-board USB JTAG and serial adapters".  So I believe that had a USB to
serial adapter on board connected to a UART.

--
Len Sorensen