* Re: Xenomai on Jetson TX2
@ 2021-01-12 15:32 Mohamed Irfanulla Mohamed Abdulla
From: Mohamed Irfanulla Mohamed Abdulla @ 2021-01-12 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has successfully installed Xenomai on Nvidia
Jetson TX2. Thanks for your suggestions and confirmation if it is possible
to install Xenomai on Jetson TX2?

Thanks and regards
Irfan

* Re: Xenomai on Jetson TX2
@ 2021-01-12 15:40 ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2021-01-12 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed Irfanulla Mohamed Abdulla; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

HI,

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM Mohamed Irfanulla Mohamed Abdulla via
Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if anyone has successfully installed Xenomai on Nvidia
> Jetson TX2. Thanks for your suggestions and confirmation if it is possible
> to install Xenomai on Jetson TX2?

At the moment no.  There's two ways someone could do it, one would be to
port the ipipe to L4T or use the mainline kernel and port the ipipe to
support nvidia chips.  If the goal is to use the GPU with Xenomai, you'll
have to also make the GPU drivers run in the Xenomai domain which may be a
large task.  Ipipe on Linux 5.4 for ARM64 is almost ready for release, I'm
just working through a couple more issues, which would be a starting point
if you want to port the ipipe.

Out of curiosity, is the GPU something that you'd like to use in the real
time domain?

> Thanks and regards
> Irfan

-Greg

* Re: Xenomai on Jetson TX2
@ 2021-01-12 16:02   ` Mohamed Irfanulla Mohamed Abdulla
From: Mohamed Irfanulla Mohamed Abdulla @ 2021-01-12 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hello Greg,

Thanks for your reply. Thank you for the information about Ipipe release.
As initial work real-time is concerned for CPU, but GPU is in the roadmap.

Thanks and Regards,
Irfan

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 4:40 PM Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com>
wrote:

> HI,
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM Mohamed Irfanulla Mohamed Abdulla via
> Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know if anyone has successfully installed Xenomai on
>> Nvidia
>> Jetson TX2. Thanks for your suggestions and confirmation if it is possible
>> to install Xenomai on Jetson TX2?
>>

> At the moment no.  There's two ways someone could do it, one would be to
> port the ipipe to L4T or use the mainline kernel and port the ipipe to
> support nvidia chips.  If the goal is to use the GPU with Xenomai, you'll
> have to also make the GPU drivers run in the Xenomai domain which may be a
> large task.  Ipipe on Linux 5.4 for ARM64 is almost ready for release, I'm
> just working through a couple more issues, which would be a starting point
> if you want to port the ipipe.
>
> Out of curiosity, is the GPU something that you'd like to use in the real
> time domain?
>

>> Thanks and regards
>> Irfan
>>

> -Greg

* Re: Xenomai on Jetson TX2
@ 2021-01-12 16:20     ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2021-01-12 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed Irfanulla Mohamed Abdulla; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:02 AM Mohamed Irfanulla Mohamed Abdulla <
m.mohamedirfanulla@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Greg,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Thank you for the information about Ipipe release.
> As initial work real-time is concerned for CPU, but GPU is in the roadmap.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Irfan
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 4:40 PM Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com>
> wrote:
>
>> HI,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM Mohamed Irfanulla Mohamed Abdulla via
>> Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to know if anyone has successfully installed Xenomai on
>>> Nvidia
>>> Jetson TX2. Thanks for your suggestions and confirmation if it is
>>> possible
>>> to install Xenomai on Jetson TX2?
>>>

>> At the moment no.  There's two ways someone could do it, one would be to
>> port the ipipe to L4T or use the mainline kernel and port the ipipe to
>> support nvidia chips.  If the goal is to use the GPU with Xenomai, you'll
>> have to also make the GPU drivers run in the Xenomai domain which may be a
>> large task.  Ipipe on Linux 5.4 for ARM64 is almost ready for release, I'm
>> just working through a couple more issues, which would be a starting point
>> if you want to port the ipipe.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, is the GPU something that you'd like to use in the real
>> time domain?
>>

>>> Thanks and regards
>>> Irfan
>>>

>> -Greg

Are you planning to use mainline or l4T? L4T would be harder to maintain as
it adds another kernel to patch.  I'll ping the list once the 5.4 releases
are ready.

-Greg