* Compile the driver against kernel source requires a build kernel ??
@ 2011-08-24 16:34 Sraddha
From: Sraddha @ 2011-08-24 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I am trying to build a led driver for the samsung kernel 2.6.35.7
I have 2.6.35-22-generic installed on my host machine
Now I thought is I could take the header files for the 2.6.35.7 kernel from
the net sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.35.7:
 Error:Unable to locate package kernel-headers-2.6.35.7
 Any suggestion for the header files
 can I use the header files of 2.6.35 like if I type sudo apt-get install
kernel-headers-2.6.35
 and use these header files for the led driver compilation

I have the samsung kernel source , so Maybe I just compile the led driver
against this source without compiling the entire samsung kernel .
Plz iluminate .
Regards
Sraddha
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Compile the driver against kernel source requires a build kernel ??
@ 2011-08-24 18:14 ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2011-08-24 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Sraddha <dhakatevaishali@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to build a led driver for the samsung kernel 2.6.35.7
> I have 2.6.35-22-generic installed on my host machine
> Now I thought is I could take the header files for the 2.6.35.7 kernel from
> the net sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.35.7:
>  Error:Unable to locate package kernel-headers-2.6.35.7

This is related to repositories of your host distribution. It seems
repositories  do not have this package. check your distros document for
correct package name.

>  Any suggestion for the header files
>  can I use the header files of 2.6.35 like if I type sudo apt-get install
> kernel-headers-2.6.35

you should be able to use the same headers(in most cases)

>  and use these header files for the led driver compilation
>
> I have the samsung kernel source , so Maybe I just compile the led driver
> against this source without compiling the entire samsung kernel .

What is samsung kernel?
yes, I think you can compile out of tree modules, check out books like
rubini or love for details or googling should also help.