* Support for Gaisler multicore LEONx SoCs
@ 2022-07-07 18:10 Gregg Allison
From: Gregg Allison @ 2022-07-07 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-discuss, qemu-devel; +Cc: Gregg Allison

We are considering the Gaisler GR712RC (2 core LEON3) and GR740 (4 core LEON4) SoCs for a new deep space mission.
Does QEMU support these two multicore configurations at present? Is there an effort planned to provide multicore LEONx emulation?

Gregg Allison

[signature_1890048335]
Senior Professional Research Assistant
Flight Software Engineering Department
Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics
University of Colorado Boulder
1234 Innovation Drive
Boulder CO 80303
303-735-0500 (o)
303-435-7491 (c)
gregg.allison@lasp.colorado.edu<mailto:gregg.allison@lasp.colorado.edu>

[-- Attachment #2: image001.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 9000 bytes --]

* Re: Support for Gaisler multicore LEONx SoCs
@ 2022-07-07 20:29 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2022-07-07 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg Allison; +Cc: qemu-discuss, qemu-devel, Fabien Chouteau, Frederic Konrad

On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 20:54, Gregg Allison <Gregg.Allison@lasp.colorado.edu>
wrote:

> We are considering the Gaisler GR712RC (2 core LEON3) and GR740 (4 core
> LEON4) SoCs for a new deep space mission.
>
> Does QEMU support these two multicore configurations at present? Is there
> an effort planned to provide multicore LEONx emulation?

I've cc'd the people listed in MAINTAINERS for Leon, but as far as I can
see there have been no Leon-related commits for a few years, so I don't
think this area of QEMU is being actively developed. We seem to have
currently LEON2 and LEON3 CPU support, and one machine type, the
"Leon-3 generic" machine.

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: Support for Gaisler multicore LEONx SoCs
@ 2022-07-08 10:06   ` Frederic Konrad
From: Frederic Konrad @ 2022-07-08 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg Allison, Peter Maydell; +Cc: qemu-discuss, qemu-devel, Fabien Chouteau

  Hi Gregg,
AFAIK the leon3-generic can emulate the GR712RC with some little differences in the memorymap and / or timer / CPU count.  (You should be able to boot the Gaisler monocore linux with it).

About the SMP support AdaCore had a few patches for it, I'll let Fabien answer.

Regards,Fred

@ 2022-07-20 14:29     ` Fabien Chouteau
From: Fabien Chouteau @ 2022-07-20 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederic Konrad; +Cc: Gregg Allison, Peter Maydell, qemu-discuss, qemu-devel

Hello everyone,

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 12:16 PM Frederic Konrad <konrad.frederic@yahoo.fr>
wrote:

> About the SMP support AdaCore had a few patches for it, I'll let Fabien
> answer.

The patches for SMP support actually come from Gaisler originally (if I
remember correctly).

For sure we at AdaCore support SMP Leon3/Leon4 in our fork of QEMU, and I
think all the required patches are contributed upstream.

--
Fabien Chouteau

* RE: Support for Gaisler multicore LEONx SoCs
@ 2022-08-01 16:42       ` Gregg Allison
From: Gregg Allison @ 2022-08-01 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabien Chouteau, Frederic Konrad
  Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-discuss, qemu-devel, Gregg Allison

Fabien, Fred, and Peter,

Thank you all for the helpful information.

Might AdaCore’s SMP Leon3/Leon4 fork be merged with the main branch of QEMU in the somewhat near term?

Fabien, can I obtain the SMP Leon3/Leon4 fork from AdaCore directly?

Gregg Allison

@ 2022-08-22 13:08         ` Fabien Chouteau
From: Fabien Chouteau @ 2022-08-22 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg Allison