* [ath9k-devel] ath9k (Atheros 802.11n) data rate fluctuation problem
@ 2015-03-13  4:36 Santosh
From: Santosh @ 2015-03-13  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello,

I am working on one research project using ath9k (Atheros 802.11n)driver.
while experimenting I saw that the driver is fluctuating between 20MHz to
40MHz. When I set the data rate in my hostapd file for 40MHz I get many
trace for 20MHz and vice-versa with low throughput.

I tried to perform them individually but getting same result again n again
due to which I am not able to perform my experiment.

Please help me to fix this issue I want that if I want run the driver in
40MHz then it should not jump onto 20MHz. Please let me know how should I
fix this issue and improve the throughput as well.

Here is my hostapd-40MHz file :

driver=nl80211
interface=wlan0
ssid=HELLO
channel=44
hw_mode=a
#auth_algs=1
ieee80211n=1
wme_enabled=1
wmm_enabled=1
ht_capab=[HT40+][HT40-]

Please let me if anything is required to change in my hostapd file.

Thank you so much.

* [ath9k-devel] ath9k (Atheros 802.11n) data rate fluctuation problem
@ 2015-03-13  5:34 ` Thomas V
From: Thomas V @ 2015-03-13  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi Santosh,

Can you try setting
ah->config.cwm_ignore_extcca = 1;
in ath9k_hw_init_config()

Regards,
Thomas.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Santosh <Santosh.dubey113@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on one research project using ath9k (Atheros 802.11n)driver.
> while experimenting I saw that the driver is fluctuating between 20MHz to
> 40MHz. When I set the data rate in my hostapd file for 40MHz I get many
> trace for 20MHz and vice-versa with low throughput.
>
> I tried to perform them individually but getting same result again n again
> due to which I am not able to perform my experiment.
>
> Please help me to fix this issue I want that if I want run the driver in
> 40MHz then it should not jump onto 20MHz. Please let me know how should I
> fix this issue and improve the throughput as well.
>

> Here is my hostapd-40MHz file :
>
> driver=nl80211
> interface=wlan0
> ssid=HELLO
> channel=44
> hw_mode=a
> #auth_algs=1
> ieee80211n=1
> wme_enabled=1
> wmm_enabled=1
> ht_capab=[HT40+][HT40-]
>

> Please let me if anything is required to change in my hostapd file.
>
> Thank you so much.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] ath9k (Atheros 802.11n) data rate fluctuation problem
@ 2015-03-13  5:43   ` Thomas V
From: Thomas V @ 2015-03-13  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hope this command works.
#echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/ath9k/ignore_extcca

Regards,
Thomas

@ 2015-03-13  6:02     ` Santosh Dubey
From: Santosh Dubey @ 2015-03-13  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi Thomas,

Thank you so much for your quick response.
I'll try to solve the problem using these two commands.

1) ah->config.cwm_ignore_extcca = 1;
in ath9k_hw_init_config()

2) #echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/ath9k/ignore_extcca

Thomas is it possible for you explain me the reason of data rate
fluctuation and also what will these two command do?

Thank you.
On Mar 13, 2015 1:43 AM, "Thomas V" <thomasv123@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hope this command works.
> #echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/ath9k/ignore_extcca
>
> Regards,
> Thomas
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Thomas V <thomasv123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Santosh,
>>
>> Can you try setting
>> ah->config.cwm_ignore_extcca = 1;
>> in ath9k_hw_init_config()
>>

>> Regards,
>> Thomas.
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Santosh <Santosh.dubey113@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am working on one research project using ath9k (Atheros 802.11n)driver.
>>> while experimenting I saw that the driver is fluctuating between 20MHz to
>>> 40MHz. When I set the data rate in my hostapd file for 40MHz I get many
>>> trace for 20MHz and vice-versa with low throughput.
>>>
>>> I tried to perform them individually but getting same result again n
>>> again
>>> due to which I am not able to perform my experiment.
>>>
>>> Please help me to fix this issue I want that if I want run the driver in
>>> 40MHz then it should not jump onto 20MHz. Please let me know how should I
>>> fix this issue and improve the throughput as well.
>>>

>>> Here is my hostapd-40MHz file :
>>>
>>> driver=nl80211
>>> interface=wlan0
>>> ssid=HELLO
>>> channel=44
>>> hw_mode=a
>>> #auth_algs=1
>>> ieee80211n=1
>>> wme_enabled=1
>>> wmm_enabled=1

@ 2015-03-13  6:22       ` Thomas V
From: Thomas V @ 2015-03-13  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

In the driver , there is CWM (Channel width Management) state machine. It
switches  the mac mode from 40 to 20Mhz when ever it detects the extention
channel is busy.
Channel busy is indicated from the rx_clear bit  going low.
I guess,the above setting should ignore the CCA and rx_clear is forced to
be high.

Regards,
Thomas.