* why not add (offset,len) to pglog
@ 2015-12-25  3:16 Dong Wu
       [not found] ` <CAAL-TMddLQ-fxNnPcZZhtd8Evk6j+h6PiNTu+KapyPsRCeW9bw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Dong Wu @ 2015-12-25  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, ceph-users

Hi,
I have doubt about pglog, the pglog contains (op,object,version) etc.
when peering, use pglog to construct missing list,then recover the
whole object in missing list even if different data among replicas is
less then a whole object data(eg,4MB).
why not add (offset,len) to pglog? If so, the missing list can contain
(object, offset, len), then we can reduce recover data.

* Re: why not add (offset,len) to pglog
       [not found] ` <CAAL-TMddLQ-fxNnPcZZhtd8Evk6j+h6PiNTu+KapyPsRCeW9bw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-12-25  4:30   ` Xinze Chi (信泽)
       [not found]     ` <CANE=7sUenL8oO_8CWP_VJJ_qWPWM2pLF6UxpFb-9AGFePT46oA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Xinze Chi (信泽) @ 2015-12-25  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dong Wu
  Cc: 姚宁(研六 福州),
	ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

Yeah, This is good idea for recovery, but not for backfill.
@YaoNing have pull a request about this
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/3837 this year.

> I have doubt about pglog, the pglog contains (op,object,version) etc.
> when peering, use pglog to construct missing list,then recover the
> whole object in missing list even if different data among replicas is
> less then a whole object data(eg,4MB).
> why not add (offset,len) to pglog? If so, the missing list can contain
> (object, offset, len), then we can reduce recover data.

Xinze Chi

@ 2015-12-25  6:23       ` Dong Wu
       [not found]         ` <CAAL-TMcndHOViDmearR5zb+XyEbvRnaV2ur-AMavfzvyDK=r6w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Dong Wu @ 2015-12-25  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xinze Chi (信泽)
  Cc: 姚宁(研六 福州),
	ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

Thanks, from this pull request I learned that this issue is not
completed, is there any new progress of this issue?

@ 2015-12-25  6:48           ` Ning Yao
       [not found]             ` <CALZt5jxXuT7W+quYy5C-dDaXvFQ=+PV=35DbvY3D33NR1xX25A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ning Yao @ 2015-12-25  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dong Wu
  Cc: 姚宁(研六 福州),
	ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

Hi, Dong Wu,

1. As I currently work for other things, this proposal is abandon for
a long time
2. This is a complicated task as we need to consider a lots such as
(not just for writeOp, as well as truncate, delete) and also need to
consider the different affects for different backends(Replicated, EC).
3. I don't think it is good time to redo this patch now, since the
BlueStore and Kstore  is inprogress, and I'm afraid to bring some
side-effect.  We may prepare and propose the whole design in next CDS.
4. Currently, we already have some tricks to deal with recovery (like
throttle the max recovery op, set the priority for recovery and so
on). So this kind of patch may not solve the critical problem but just
make things better, and I am not quite sure that this will really
bring a big improvement. Based on my previous test, it works
excellently on slow disk (say hdd), and also for a short-time
maintaining. Otherwise, it will trigger the backfill process.  So wait
for Sage's opinion @sage

If you are interest on this, we may cooperate to do this.

Regards
Ning Yao

@ 2015-12-25  8:45               ` Dong Wu
From: Dong Wu @ 2015-12-25  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ning Yao
  Cc: 姚宁(研六 福州),
	ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

Thank you for your reply. I am looking formard to Sage's opinion too @sage.
Also I'll keep on with the BlueStore and Kstore's progress.

Regards

@ 2015-12-25 14:27               ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2015-12-25 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ning Yao
  Cc: 姚宁(研六 福州),

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015, Ning Yao wrote:
> Hi, Dong Wu,
>
> 1. As I currently work for other things, this proposal is abandon for
> a long time
> 2. This is a complicated task as we need to consider a lots such as
> (not just for writeOp, as well as truncate, delete) and also need to
> consider the different affects for different backends(Replicated, EC).
> 3. I don't think it is good time to redo this patch now, since the
> BlueStore and Kstore  is inprogress, and I'm afraid to bring some
> side-effect.  We may prepare and propose the whole design in next CDS.
> 4. Currently, we already have some tricks to deal with recovery (like
> throttle the max recovery op, set the priority for recovery and so
> on). So this kind of patch may not solve the critical problem but just
> make things better, and I am not quite sure that this will really
> bring a big improvement. Based on my previous test, it works
> excellently on slow disk (say hdd), and also for a short-time
> maintaining. Otherwise, it will trigger the backfill process.  So wait
> for Sage's opinion @sage
>
> If you are interest on this, we may cooperate to do this.

I think it's a great idea.  We didn't do it before only because it is
complicated.  The good news is that if we can't conclusively infer exactly
which parts of hte object need to be recovered from the log entry we can
always just fall back to recovering the whole thing.  Also, the place
where this is currently most visible is RBD small writes:

 - osd goes down
 - client sends a 4k overwrite and modifies an object
 - osd comes back up
 - client sends another 4k overwrite
 - client io blocks while osd recovers 4mb

So even if we initially ignore truncate and omap and EC and clones and
anything else complicated I suspect we'll get a nice benefit.

I haven't thought about this too much, but my guess is that the hard part
is making the primary's missing set representation include a partial delta
(say, an interval_set<> indicating which ranges of the file have changed)
in a way that gracefully degrades to recovering the whole object if we're
not sure.

In any case, we should definitely have the design conversation!

sage

> Regards
> Ning Yao

> > Thanks, from this pull request I learned that this issue is not
> > completed, is there any new progress of this issue?

> >> Yeah, This is good idea for recovery, but not for backfill.
> >> @YaoNing have pull a request about this
> >> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/3837 this year.

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Xinze Chi

* Re: [ceph-users] why not add (offset,len) to pglog
@ 2016-01-22 11:40                 ` Ning Yao
From: Ning Yao @ 2016-01-22 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil
  Cc: Dong Wu, Xinze Chi (信泽),
	姚宁(研六 福州),
	ceph-devel, ceph-users

Great! Based on Sage's suggestion, we just add a flag
can_recover_partial to indicate whether.
And I promote a new PR for this https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/7325
Please review and comment
Regards
Ning Yao

@ 2016-03-14  7:23                   ` Dong Wu
From: Dong Wu @ 2016-03-14  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ning Yao
  Cc: Sage Weil, Xinze Chi (信泽),
	姚宁(研六 福州),
	ceph-devel, ceph-users

Based on Yao Ning's PR, I promote a new PR for this
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/8083

In this PR, i also solved such a upgrade situation problem:
consider such a upgrade situation which we need to upgrade to this
can_recover_partial version:
eg. a pg 3.67 [0, 1, 2]
1)firstly, we update osd.0(service ceph restart osd.0), and recover
normally, everything goes on;
2)a write req(eg. req1, will write to obj1) is sent to primary(osd.0),
and pglog record such a req;
3)then we update osd.1, req1 send to osd.1 fail, but will send to
osd.2, when osd.2 is dealing with the req(just in function
do_request), pg3.67 starts peering, then on osd.7, it call
can_discard_request to check that req1 should be dropped;
4)so the req1 only write successfuly on osd.0, because min_size=2,
osd.0 re-enqueue the req1;
5)when peering, primary find that req1's object obj1 is missing on
osd.1 and osd.2, so recover the object;
6)because osd.0 and osd.1 is already updated, osd.0 will calculate
partial data in prep_push_to_replica, and osd.1 can deal with the
partial data very well,
7)but osd.2 has not been updated, on osd.2's code
logic(submit_push_data), it will remove origin object first, then
write the partial data from osd.0, so the origin data of the object is
lost;