* strange dtbs_check error message regarding 8250_omap.yaml + serdev + gnss
@ 2021-10-01  8:22 Andreas Kemnade
From: Andreas Kemnade @ 2021-10-01  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

while doing some make dtbs_check cleanup I came across this message:

/home/andi/kernel/linux/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-gta04a4.dt.yaml: serial@4806c000: 'gnss' does not match any of the regexes: 'pinctrl-[0-9]+'
        From schema: /home/andi/kernel/linux/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/serial/8250_omap.yaml

the corresponding snippet is this one:

&uart2 {
        pinctrl-names = "default";
        pinctrl-0 = <&uart2_pins>;
        gnss: gnss {
                compatible = "wi2wi,w2sg0004";
                pinctrl-names = "default";
                pinctrl-0 = <&gps_pins>;
                sirf,onoff-gpios = <&gpio5 17 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
                lna-supply = <&vsim>;
                vcc-supply = <&ldo_3v3>;
        };
};

I see a pattern for serdev objects in
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/serial/serial.yaml

patternProperties:
  ".*":
    if:
      type: object
    then:
        Serial attached devices shall be a child node of the host UART device
        the slave device is attached to. It is expected that the attached
        device is the only child node of the UART device. The slave device node
        name shall reflect the generic type of device for the node.

so I would say, everything is allowed. serial.yaml is referenced by
8250_omap.yaml. So what is the problem here?

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: strange dtbs_check error message regarding 8250_omap.yaml + serdev + gnss
@ 2021-10-01 14:45 ` Rob Herring
From: Rob Herring @ 2021-10-01 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Kemnade

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 3:22 AM Andreas Kemnade <andreas@kemnade.info> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while doing some make dtbs_check cleanup I came across this message:
>
> /home/andi/kernel/linux/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-gta04a4.dt.yaml: serial@4806c000: 'gnss' does not match any of the regexes: 'pinctrl-[0-9]+'
>         From schema: /home/andi/kernel/linux/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/serial/8250_omap.yaml
>
> the corresponding snippet is this one:
>
> &uart2 {
>         pinctrl-names = "default";
>         pinctrl-0 = <&uart2_pins>;
>         gnss: gnss {
>                 compatible = "wi2wi,w2sg0004";
>                 pinctrl-names = "default";
>                 pinctrl-0 = <&gps_pins>;
>                 sirf,onoff-gpios = <&gpio5 17 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
>                 lna-supply = <&vsim>;
>                 vcc-supply = <&ldo_3v3>;
>         };
> };
>

> I see a pattern for serdev objects in
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/serial/serial.yaml
>
> patternProperties:
>   ".*":
>     if:
>       type: object
>     then:
>         Serial attached devices shall be a child node of the host UART device
>         the slave device is attached to. It is expected that the attached
>         device is the only child node of the UART device. The slave device node
>         name shall reflect the generic type of device for the node.
>

> so I would say, everything is allowed. serial.yaml is referenced by
> 8250_omap.yaml. So what is the problem here?

8250_omap.yaml probably has 'additionalProperties: false'. The problem
with additionalProperties is it can't see into the $ref to
serial.yaml. The fix is to use 'unevaluatedProperties' instead. Note
that it currently is a nop, so don't expect to get any failures.
Support for unevaluatedProperties was just released in jsonschema
yesterday, so dtschema will support it very soon.

Rob