* Big endian ARM machine with NEON wanted
@ 2016-10-13 17:20 Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2016-10-13 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

Hi,

Does anybody know a big endian and common machine supporting NEON? I
would need one for testing my port of portaudio.

Thanks in advance

Andreas

* Re: Big endian ARM machine with NEON wanted
@ 2016-10-14  5:41 ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2016-10-14  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 13-10-16 19:20, Andreas Müller wrote:

> Does anybody know a big endian and common machine supporting NEON? I
> would need one for testing my port of portaudio.

Most ARM systems can run in both big-endian and little-endian modes. Somewhere
early during boot this choice is being made.

Having said that, since big-endian machines are getting rare, there's very
little support for big-endian ARM systems. Most (if not all) boards can run
big-endian, but software support is usually lacking, in particular in the
bootloader parts where this matters.

If it's just for testing some software, maybe you can use a QEMU machine?

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Products
Materiaalweg 4, NL-5681 RJ Best
Postbus 440, NL-5680 AK Best
Telefoon: +31 (0) 499 33 69 79
E-mail: mike.looijmans@topicproducts.com
Website: www.topicproducts.com

* Re: Big endian ARM machine with NEON wanted
@ 2016-10-14  6:34   ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2016-10-14  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Looijmans; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 7:41 AM, Mike Looijmans <mike.looijmans@topic.nl> wrote:
> On 13-10-16 19:20, Andreas Müller wrote:
>>

>> Does anybody know a big endian and common machine supporting NEON? I
>> would need one for testing my port of portaudio.
>

> Most ARM systems can run in both big-endian and little-endian modes.
> Somewhere early during boot this choice is being made.
>
> Having said that, since big-endian machines are getting rare, there's very
> little support for big-endian ARM systems. Most (if not all) boards can run
> big-endian, but software support is usually lacking, in particular in the
> bootloader parts where this matters.
>
> If it's just for testing some software, maybe you can use a QEMU machine?

Does QEMU support NEON?

@ 2016-10-14 14:56   ` Lennart Sorensen
From: Lennart Sorensen @ 2016-10-14 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Looijmans; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 07:41:13AM +0200, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> On 13-10-16 19:20, Andreas Müller wrote:
> >
> >Does anybody know a big endian and common machine supporting NEON? I
> >would need one for testing my port of portaudio.
>

> Most ARM systems can run in both big-endian and little-endian modes.
> Somewhere early during boot this choice is being made.
>
> Having said that, since big-endian machines are getting rare, there's very
> little support for big-endian ARM systems. Most (if not all) boards can run
> big-endian, but software support is usually lacking, in particular in the
> bootloader parts where this matters.
>
> If it's just for testing some software, maybe you can use a QEMU machine?

Well from what I was able to find, it seems ARMv7 systems can only run
BE8 mode, while ARMv5 and older had BE32 mode, and ARMv6 had both options.

Qemu seems to support BE8 mode when emulating ARMv7 (at least if you
have a recent enough version).

--
Len Sorensen