* process tracking
@ 2015-04-20 21:58 Mustafa Hussain
From: Mustafa Hussain @ 2015-04-20 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I have reading recently how CFS works and I want to detect processes that
is not used and have the policy SCHED_NORMAL,

Can i do this by tracking load_weight for each process if the load dose not
change over the time can i consider this process is not used ?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* process tracking
@ 2015-04-21  3:19 ` Ruben Safir
From: Ruben Safir @ 2015-04-21  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:58:17PM +0200, Mustafa Hussain wrote:
> I have reading recently how CFS works and I want to detect processes that
> is not used and have the policy SCHED_NORMAL,
>
> Can i do this by tracking load_weight for each process if the load dose not
> change over the time can i consider this process is not used ?

it has nothing to do with the load_weight.  I can be corrected on this
but it is configuration.

There are functions that can be coded that adjust the class of priority
for a thread or process such as

/**
 * sched_setscheduler - change the scheduling policy and/or RT priority
 * of a thread.
 * @p: the task in question.
 * @policy: new policy.
 * @param: structure containing the new RT priority.
 *
 * Return: 0 on success. An error code otherwise.
 *
 * NOTE that the task may be already dead.
 */
int sched_setscheduler(struct task_struct *p, int policy,
		       const struct sched_param *param)
{
	return _sched_setscheduler(p, policy, param, true);
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(sched_setscheduler);

in linux/kernel.sched/core.c

download the Kernel Source Code and take a look

Ruben

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

* process tracking
@ 2015-04-21 17:09   ` Mustafa Hussain
From: Mustafa Hussain @ 2015-04-21 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

in fact i don't need to change the policy of the process, i just want to
know weather the process is used in rq or not.

for example i have opened a lot  of apps like pdf reader and google chrome
now i'am using google chrome, and still the pdf reader in the rq.. right ?
how can i detect that the user is not using the pdf reader from sched
function ?

@ 2015-04-21 20:37     ` Ruben Safir
From: Ruben Safir @ 2015-04-21 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 04/21/2015 01:09 PM, Mustafa Hussain wrote:
> in fact i don't need to change the policy of the process,

you missed the point.  Anyway, this list is really about learning the
kernel and not tech support.  You might get better responses on usenet.

Ruben