* [SPDK] NVMF target in the virtualbox
@ 2016-10-26 22:19 Sumit Gupta
From: Sumit Gupta @ 2016-10-26 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hello

Is there a way to use the NVMf target while running SPDK inside virtualbox.
I do not know if there is a RDMA NIC in DPDK. Could not find anything while
googling it.

Thanks
Sumit

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 265 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] NVMF target in the virtualbox
@ 2016-11-02 13:25 Alex Bowden
From: Alex Bowden @ 2016-11-02 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

SPDK currently uses the ibverbs/rdmacm directly, so whatever the kernel provides as the rdma device is used. Personally I have not tried DPDK devices.

-Alex

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 310 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] NVMF target in the virtualbox
@ 2016-11-01 18:21 Sumit Gupta
From: Sumit Gupta @ 2016-11-01 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Does DPDK's IB framework uses the kernel IB framework ? I am very new to
DPDK but my understanding is that DPDK does not use any of the kernel
networking frameworks. Softiwarp or Softroce register with kernel IB
frameworks so they probably wont work with DPDK/SPDK.

Sumit

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 6:37 PM, Alex Bowden <alex.bowden(a)outlook.com>
wrote:

> I tried Softiwarp with SPDK and was able to get the target to start, but I
> couldn't get the Linux initiator to work with it.
>
> See: https://github.com/slowfranklin/softiwarp
>
> -Alex

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 1416 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] NVMF target in the virtualbox
@ 2016-10-31  1:37 Alex Bowden
From: Alex Bowden @ 2016-10-31  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

I tried Softiwarp with SPDK and was able to get the target to start, but I couldn't get the Linux initiator to work with it.

See: https://github.com/slowfranklin/softiwarp

-Alex

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 419 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] NVMF target in the virtualbox
@ 2016-10-27 18:10 Walker, Benjamin
From: Walker, Benjamin @ 2016-10-27 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

You need some kind of RDMA device in order to run NVMe-oF currently, whether it is real or virtual. I’ve seen some mention of a Soft-RoCE driver added to the Linux kernel in 4.8 (linux/drivers/infiniband/sw/rxe/rxe.h). That would probably work too, but I’ve never used it.

From: Sumit Gupta @ 2016-10-27 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi Benjamin

I could not find any RDMA NIC for virtualbox (dont have any real NICs,
trying on my laptop). That too we need a NIC which is supported by DPDK.
Are you aware of any ? Or is there a loopback mode which can be used to
play with NVMf target on spdk ?

Sumit

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Walker, Benjamin <benjamin.walker(a)intel.com
> wrote:

> You’d need virtualbox to emulate an RDMA NIC, or you’d need to map a real
> RDMA NIC directly into the VM. The same goes for the NVMe SSD. You don’t
> need any RDMA support from DPDK itself. I’m not particularly familiar with
> the capabilities of virtualbox, unfortunately. I do know that QEMU can
> emulate at least an NVMe SSD and SPDK will load and run against that.

[-- Type: text/html, Size: 2991 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] NVMF target in the virtualbox
@ 2016-10-27 15:10 Walker, Benjamin
From: Walker, Benjamin @ 2016-10-27 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

You’d need virtualbox to emulate an RDMA NIC, or you’d need to map a real RDMA NIC directly into the VM. The same goes for the NVMe SSD. You don’t need any RDMA support from DPDK itself. I’m not particularly familiar with the capabilities of virtualbox, unfortunately. I do know that QEMU can emulate at least an NVMe SSD and SPDK will load and run against that.

Is there a way to use the NVMf target while running SPDK inside virtualbox. I do not know if there is a RDMA NIC in DPDK. Could not find anything while googling it.

Thanks
Sumit

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 3302 bytes --]

* [SPDK] NVMF target in the virtualbox
@ 2016-10-27  3:13 Sumit Gupta
From: Sumit Gupta @ 2016-10-27  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk