* Which Toolchain is being used to build Yocto ?
@ 2016-02-03 15:07 Mark T
From: Mark T @ 2016-02-03 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Building jethro on a Ubuntu14.04 system. I want to ensure that each person
in the team is using the same tool-chain version.

I notice there is a meta/recipes-devtools  -  I assume this pulls in from
build/downloads - so gcc-5.2.0.tar.bz2 for example. Does the tool-chain
comprised of these recipes get built by /usr/bin/gcc before being used to
compile Yocto ?

If this is the case then assuming we configure for off-line builds and used
the same build/downloads content as well as the oe-env ( from
oe-init-build-env ) then we'll all be on the same tool-chain version. Or
have I missed something ?

Thanks,
Mark

* Re: Which Toolchain is being used to build Yocto ?
@ 2016-02-03 16:52 ` Kosta  Zertsekel
From: Kosta  Zertsekel @ 2016-02-03 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark T, yocto

Mark,

>> I notice there is a meta/recipes-devtools  -  I assume this pulls in from build/downloads

>> - so gcc-5.2.0.tar.bz2 for example. Does the tool-chain comprised of these recipes get

>> built by /usr/bin/gcc before being used to compile Yocto?

You can easily check it by moving temporary /usr/bin/gcc aside.

BTW, provide the result of this test to the mailing list - so all of us can be synced.

--- KostaZ

[E-Banner]<http://www.mrv.com/blog>

MRV Communications is a global supplier of packet and optical solutions that power the world's largest networks. Our products combine innovative hardware with intelligent software to make networks smarter, faster and more efficient.

The contents of this message, together with any attachments, are intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom they are addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately advise the sender, delete this message and any attachments and note that any distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachment, is prohibited.

* Re: Which Toolchain is being used to build Yocto ?
@ 2016-02-03 17:13 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-02-03 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark T; +Cc: yocto

On 3 February 2016 at 15:07, Mark T <mtl1nuxd3v@gmail.com> wrote:

> I notice there is a meta/recipes-devtools  -  I assume this pulls in from
> build/downloads - so gcc-5.2.0.tar.bz2 for example. Does the tool-chain
> comprised of these recipes get built by /usr/bin/gcc before being used to
> compile Yocto ?

The host's gcc (typically /usr/bin/gcc) is used to build gcc-cross, which
is then used to compile everything that needs to be cross-compiled.  We
don't build our own native compiler to replace the host compiler.

Ross

* Re: Which Toolchain is being used to build Yocto ?
@ 2016-02-03 18:15   ` Mark T
From: Mark T @ 2016-02-03 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

Thanks. That makes sense; all the cross compile tools are built using the
Host machines native toolchain on the host then the cross-toolchain used to
cross compile yocto for the target.

@ 2016-02-03 18:43     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-02-03 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark T; +Cc: yocto

On 3 February 2016 at 18:15, Mark T <mtl1nuxd3v@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. That makes sense; all the cross compile tools are built using the
> Host machines native toolchain on the host then the cross-toolchain used to
> cross compile yocto for the target.

Correct.

Ross

* Re: Which Toolchain is being used to build Yocto ?
@ 2016-02-03 19:58     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-02-03 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark T; +Cc: yocto