* How to use ceph rados ioengine? How to config rados.job for parallel reading and writing?
@ 2018-04-16  6:56 马少楠
From: 马少楠 @ 2018-04-16  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

Hi List,

I am a beginner, and now I am testing performance of rados of ceph. I
use the ioengine of rados but when I used the example in Github, the
ceph pool is empty as following:

data:
    pools:   1 pools, 100 pgs
    objects: 0 objects, 0 bytes
    usage:   72611 MB used, 349 TB / 349 TB avail
    pgs:     100 active+clean

$ ceph df
GLOBAL:
    SIZE     AVAIL     RAW USED     %RAW USED
    349T      349T       72611M          0.02
POOLS:
    NAME       ID     USED     %USED     MAX AVAIL     OBJECTS
    ecpool     1         0         0          221T           0

And my configure file rados.job is as following:

[global]
ioengine=rados
clientname=admin
pool=ecpool
busy_poll=0
rw=write
bs=4M

[job1]
size=100G
io_size=100G
iodepth=2048

I want to know whether the result that fio got could be considered
effective without any ojbect been written in the pool.

And I want to ask what I need to do if I want to test parallel reading
and write of rados. Should I create N pools in ceph and create N jobs
in fio configure file?

Thanks.

Regards,
Shaonan Ma

* Re: How to use ceph rados ioengine? How to config rados.job for parallel reading and writing?
@ 2018-04-16  8:23 ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2018-04-16  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Fedotov; +Cc: fio, 马少楠

(CC'ing Igor)

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/

* Re: How to use ceph rados ioengine? How to config rados.job for parallel reading and writing?
@ 2018-04-17 10:28   ` Igor Fedotov
From: Igor Fedotov @ 2018-04-17 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sitsofe Wheeler; +Cc: fio, 马少楠

Hi Ma,

On 4/16/2018 11:23 AM, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
> (CC'ing Igor)
>
> On 16 April 2018 at 07:56, 马少楠 <shaonan.ma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I am a beginner, and now I am testing performance of rados of ceph. I
>> use the ioengine of rados but when I used the example in Github, the
>> ceph pool is empty as following:
>>
>> data:
>>      pools:   1 pools, 100 pgs
>>      objects: 0 objects, 0 bytes
>>      usage:   72611 MB used, 349 TB / 349 TB avail
>>      pgs:     100 active+clean
>>
>> $ ceph df
>> GLOBAL:
>>      SIZE     AVAIL     RAW USED     %RAW USED
>>      349T      349T       72611M          0.02
>> POOLS:
>>      NAME       ID     USED     %USED     MAX AVAIL     OBJECTS
>>      ecpool     1         0         0          221T           0
>>
>> And my configure file rados.job is as following:
>>
>> [global]
>> ioengine=rados
>> clientname=admin
>> pool=ecpool
>> busy_poll=0
>> rw=write
>> bs=4M
>>
>> [job1]
>> size=100G
>> io_size=100G
>> iodepth=2048
>>
>> I want to know whether the result that fio got could be considered
>> effective without any ojbect been written in the pool.
RADOS plugin performs a cleanup on completion and removes all the
written objects.

You can check more detailed Ceph reports to see amount of data written
to cluster, please try

ceph df detail

or

rados df

>> And I want to ask what I need to do if I want to test parallel reading
>> and write of rados. Should I create N pools in ceph and create N jobs
>> in fio configure file?
You can probably create multiple jobs operating on a single pool as well.
Or even try R/W mode within a single job (rw = rw or rw = randrw).