* you must fix this
@ 2013-04-22 20:23 David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2013-04-22 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pshelar; +Cc: netdev

You CANNOT call into functional ipv6 functions from unrelated
kernel modules:

net/built-in.o: In function `ip_tunnel_xmit':
/home/davem/src/GIT/net-next/net/ipv4/ip_tunnel.c:619: undefined reference to `icmpv6_send'

There is no way I can allow this, it requires a call into IPV6 proper
to a function that cannot be added to one of the source files we
force building statically into the kernel such as addrconf_core.c

Right now things are completely broken with IPV6=y and everything
else modular, and that is not acceptable.

DO NOT fix this by adding Kconfig dependencies, and DO NOT fix this
by mucking with ugly ifdefs the ip_tunnel.c

You have to remove this need to call into a stateful portion of
the IPV6 code, portions which cannot be moved into simply helper
functions which get statically linked into the kernel.

* Re: you must fix this
@ 2013-04-22 21:30 ` Pravin Shelar
From: Pravin Shelar @ 2013-04-22 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: netdev

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:

> You CANNOT call into functional ipv6 functions from unrelated
> kernel modules:
>
> net/built-in.o: In function `ip_tunnel_xmit':
> /home/davem/src/GIT/net-next/net/ipv4/ip_tunnel.c:619: undefined reference to `icmpv6_send'

This code is moved from ip_gre module to ip_tunnel in the restructuring
patch. So this dependency is carried from ip_gre module to ip_tunnel module.

> There is no way I can allow this, it requires a call into IPV6 proper
> to a function that cannot be added to one of the source files we
> force building statically into the kernel such as addrconf_core.c
>
> Right now things are completely broken with IPV6=y and everything
> else modular, and that is not acceptable.
>
> DO NOT fix this by adding Kconfig dependencies, and DO NOT fix this
> by mucking with ugly ifdefs the ip_tunnel.c
>
> You have to remove this need to call into a stateful portion of
> the IPV6 code, portions which cannot be moved into simply helper
> functions which get statically linked into the kernel.

ok. I will send fix for ip_tunnel.

Thanks.